Raising Dangerous

Anyone have some help for raising Dangerous? Mine is at 69 right now, and I have access to wolfstack docks, but none of the options there are any good for raising Dangerous - they’re too easy, so I barely get anything.

Under the new difficulty system, your options are extremely limited.

A Dangerous check between 61% and 90% will raise that quality by 1 CP, plus a bonus CP if you succeed. Checks of 91%+ just raise the quality by 1 CP; no bonus CP on success.

You gain more of a stat increase with higher-difficulty checks, but most storylets won’t unlock until they’re in the 61%+ range, so that’s not really an option any longer (leaving aside dual-stat storylets if your stats are extremely lopsided).

This means that your best option for raising Dangerous is to find a 90% storylet and play that, adjusting your gear so that you don’t fall over 91% into the abyss of straightforward.

The difference is pretty marginal, however. If you play “Deal with Unfinished Men” in Watchmaker’s Hill (87% chance of success), it will take you ~27 actions to gain a level. If you play the toughest storylet you can, “The Spiders’ Crypt” in Wolfstack Docks (67% chance of success), it will take you ~30 actions to gain a level. You’ll gain ~47 pence per action on average, in either case.

The positive way to look at this would be to say that none of your choices matter, so you might as well play whatever storylet most appeals to you. The negative way would be to leave off that last phrase.

It’s all a matter of perspective.
edited by Tesuji on 3/12/2013

Why is it like that? Why only unlock at the 61% mark? That kind of makes the “Impossible!” and “Hard-chance” ones kind of high and dry, and slowing overal leveling.

Not to be a dick or anything, but that’s kind of stupid. It’s gonna be a major pain in my ass to raise Dangerous far enough to continue the Person of Some Importance storylet…

Slowing down the rate of leveling is an intentional consequence of Broad Difficulty.

I’m not sure the intent was to give players a choice between modest and very modest. Alexis mentioned that further changes were in order, we may just be experiencing growing pains.

Oh, I know. The dust will settle eventually, and we will see balance. Players will be slowed in some way or another, but this isn’t in itself bad. I understand the impatience, I truly do. Rushing towards a goal is how I generally play a game. Now it requires a bit more planning to get through things quickly. I suggest to the OP to take advantage of the time delayed Dangerous boost available in Watchmaker’s Hill. It’ll help speed things up.

Just a note, you’ll have to choose the second option to gain the “A Name Built in Blood” quality. ;)

Speaking of that storylet, are there any better ways to grind Greyfields 1879? I keep ending up on the edge of death when I try to get the 1,000 I’ll need for the Shuttered Palace entry fee, and it’s starting to get rediculous.

Searching the coastal mills (Wolfstack Docks - Spider Wrangling) will get you 65 per success.

I’d suggest grabbing all of the equipment that lowers stats. The talkative rat, the ridiculous hat, bottled oblivion, and really any equipment that lowers dangerous – most of the persuasive gear will work for that.

It may well make the challenges hard enough to be worthwhile.

My alt had that exact same problem. I got tired of quaffing Tinctures of Vigour real fast. I stopped grinding for Greyfields 1879 and chose to wait for the Mr Wines is holding a sale! opportunity card instead. I traded 80 Romantic Notions for 750 Greyfields 1879 with the card. If you’ve got a surplus of Romantic Notions from the recent Feast, you might want to wait for the card and pursue other goals in the meantime.

You can also gain temporary access to the Shuttered Palace with the The Ways of the Shuttered Palace card. As long as you avoid trips to other areas, you can remain there forever; no one will kick you out once you arrive. It’s mostly helpful if you’re involved in a storyline that requires you to be at the Palace for a certain step.

[quote=Tesuji]This means that your best option for raising Dangerous is to find a 90% storylet and play that, adjusting your gear so that you don’t fall over 91% into the abyss of straightforward.

. . .
The positive way to look at this would be to say that none of your choices matter, so you might as well play whatever storylet most appeals to you. The negative way would be to leave off that last phrase.
[/quote]

Another way to go about it (mentally) is to find a profitable storylet with a dangerous check and grind it for cash, and “think of the money” as my grandpa used to say about boring jobs. If you focus on accumulating enough rostygold/silk/whatever to buy ___ (maybe a piece of dangerous gear?), instead of on gaining one tiny CP in Dangerous every turn, it doesn’t seem quite so pointless. And grinding one storylet for several days will have a noticeable effect on your dangerous.