Quirks, caps, and limitations

fixing grubby and rats, thanks for testing

Hnestly I was hoping for a few more that required either repeated death or repeated madness, or repeated exile…

Do I need to say that it’s a spoiler in a place like this?

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/The_note_you_were_half-expecting
I can confirm black mailing get’s you above 10 ruthless (althrough I didn’t reach my 11th point so it’s not that much cp as I see).

+it’s a 1 time story so this isn’t worth too much.

There are lots of one-time stories that raise quirks above 10, which might be useful to know for new players: the Surface Ties stories seem to go above 10 (although that’s rather hard to test), the gateway points on the trackers where your A Name Written… qualities go up, and quite a few major decisions in the various Ambitions. The decision at the end of the University storyline as well. If you sell the Nadir to someone. If you turn around during the Gift (that’s repeatable with Fate and raises Daring). What you do with the Marsh House. Etc.

Okay, I was at zea, and I had a chance to do some testing…

update in place.

Well, I think I’ve pretty much confirmed that Forceful is the hardest Quirk to raise between 10 and 12. There appear to be only a few ways to raise it above 10 and below 12, in the entire game:

These are the only things I’ve found anyone reporting raise Forceful over 10; I’ve done a few of them myself recently, but now I’m kicking myself because I didn’t realize there weren’t any other options. I got my Forceful over 12 and then stupidly lowered it back to 11 during Flint! Now I’m 6 points short of 12, and there’s no way to get higher.

Crossing my fingers that additional Connections get quirk-raising high-level Renown-for-Favours stories soon. Maybe… the Docks will raise Forceful… or the Tomb-Colonists? :’(

Just been informed that hedonist is now reduced when you drop the package in the river for austere…

Okay, I’ve tested and clarified for myself iron republic.

I’m strting to think that maybe I should just put (fate) as an entry with no details…

though it might be important to seperate ones you can lock yourself out of (steadfast) and ones you can’t.

The Old Bone Skeleton Key will polish Forceful by consuming the item (provided you can hit Dangerous 250).

Like all the connected “quirk polisher” items, you need to have 12 in a quirk to raise it higher. Thankfully, I found enough Forceful tracker choices and another uncompleted choice to get me to 12…

Okay, got confirmation on connected change, CAP AT 10.

[quote=metasynthie]Selling Grubby Urchins to pirates only goes up to 10. Giving a gift of rats only goes up to 10 as well.

[/quote]

metasynthie, are you sure ruthless is capped at 10 on this option? Wiki says you need at least 10 to raise it. Mistake?
Have you confirmed it?

Ack, my Ruthless and Hedonist are both above 10 but I don’t want to worry hard about protecting them… are there any benefits you get from >10 quirks other than Scarlet Saint?

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason that the quirks were capped? It seems odd to me to put such an arbitrary restriction on something I consider to be one of my favorite aspects about the game.

There’s two questions there; the reason the quirk “bands” of 5, 10, and 15 were introduced was to make quirk levels more meaningful for role-play decisions (along with many of the other changes): http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9370-upcoming-quirk-changes.aspx#post73834

The reason for the cap of 15 being instituted in the first place is largely because certain players got ludicrously high levels of certain Quirks, which effectively indicated that as then designed Quirks were useless as a locking mechanism.

[quote=Gonen]metasynthie, are you sure ruthless is capped at 10 on this option? Wiki says you need at least 10 to raise it. Mistake?
Have you confirmed it?[/quote]

Yes, I confirmed this a while ago – although it’s always been heartless (as the wiki says), not ruthless. There’s no requirement on that choice other than needing a Grubby Urchin and the wiki should list it as +3 CP, up to 10. It also drops Magnanimous by 3. Sorry, I should have edited that page myself, but I keep getting screwed up with the templates and taking too much time to avoid making a big wiki mess.

[quote=metasynthie]
Yes, I confirmed this a while ago – although it’s always been heartless (as the wiki says), not ruthless. There’s no requirement on that choice other than needing a Grubby Urchin and the wiki should list it as +3 CP, up to 10. It also drops Magnanimous by 3. Sorry, I should have edited that page myself, but I keep getting screwed up with the templates and taking too much time to avoid making a big wiki mess.[/quote]

A pity. Any idea how to raise RUTHLESS above 10?

The only repeatable Ruthless-above-10 options I’m aware of (other than the Red-Feathered-Pin, which requires 12) are seasonal: you can beat your Noman to death when it’s about to die anyway, or you can swear vengeance on everyone who betrayed you at Hallowmas.

Other than that, I think the only above-10 branches are one-time – in stat trackers, Ambitions, at the end of the University investigation, taking the Marsh-House for yourself, etc. I guess you could repeat the Marsh House for Fate, though!

Thank you.

This will be a longer journey than I have anticipated.

EDIT: Have we tried Closest to: Constables?
edited by Gonen on 1/27/2016

Not a bad idea, although I don’t believe any of those have gone above 10 yet.