Quiet Deviless and Green-eyed Devil for sale

I happened across these two, available for the stately sum of 50 fate each, as companions. Unfortunately, the place I found them was near the end of the brief &quotLoquacious Vicar&quot story-line; a lower-level story that is only playable once. I thought I’d toss this siting out here because I know those are some of the more popular companions that a lot of people weren’t able to get at last year’s feast of the Rose (myself included.) I don’t know how you could go about purchasing them if you’ve already played that storylet.[li]

There are ways to acquire them besides that storyline?

Yes, I was very sad that they weren’t available anywhere else, I am fond of the Quiet Deviless, but I especiallty wanted Tony Sta- er, I mean, the Green-Eyed Devil, but I didn’t have the fate at the time.

So you can find him in the low levels? Interesting. I wonder if he’s going to be available anywhere else? (I see one of the lodging storylets uses his picture, but I don’t think you can get him there?)
edited by Inky Petrel on 12/14/2013

I do hope the two show up again, I blazed through that storyline ages ago.

[li]
The Feast of the Exceptional Rose this year. I didn’t know they were involved in Loquacious Vicar now. Huh.

Could the other three storylines have similar offers now? Perhaps Lettice appears in the Clay Man Coalman story, and the Irresistible Lady in the Bohemian Sculptress one?

I recall seeing the Devils available back when I started out and did the Loquacious Vicar storyline. I do not recall any other NPCs being for sale in the corresponding storylines in the other areas.

[quote=Little The]Could the other three storylines have similar offers now? Perhaps Lettice appears in the Clay Man Coalman story, and the Irresistible Lady in the Bohemian Sculptress one?[/quote]No. I played them through on an alt and they weren’t there. The devilish companions specifically relate to the Vicar’s research, so I guess that’s why they’re there.

[/li][li]They are now fate-locked options on the Western Tower card. They seem awfully expensive, and I have no idea if they come with a story or are worth it.[/li][li]

[/li][li]They are now fate-locked options on the Western Tower card. They seem awfully expensive, and I have no idea if they come with a story or are worth it.[/li][li][/quote]
I can tell you right now that to some of us, they will be worth it.[/li][li]

Yes, they are pricey, but also pretty awesome, and I want one :p I hadn’t decided which of the big lodgings upgrades to aim for, leaning towards the Royal Beth, but I’m now collecting scrap as fast as I can (not very) to throw at a relicker for the Location of the One-Time Prince of Hell, purely so I can get the Western Tower upgrade and get my hands on a Green-Eyed Devil :D It’s still going to take a while though, I haven’t even capped my stats and earned a new title yet.

I hope he arrives with some delicious story, that would be nice, since he costs more than any of the fate-locked story options. I will be pretty sad if there isn’t at least a small story.
edited by Inky Petrel on 1/3/2014

[quote=Inky Petrel]I hope he arrives with some delicious story, that would be nice, since he costs more than any of the fate-locked story options. I will be pretty sad if there isn’t at least a small story.
[/quote]

[li]
I might be more interested if they were spouses, rather than companions. Granted, I don’t have any companions quite that nice, but I’m not sure 40 fate makes up the difference. Personal tastes may vary, of course.

I would appreciate knowing if they come with a story, when and if someone follows that up, though.

[quote=Humblest]They seem awfully expensive, and I have no idea if they come with a story or are worth it.[/quote]I always assumed that they are expensive because Devils are shameless when it comes to exploiting certain… tastes. An exclusive brand of companions for the very wealthy and/or devoted.

The reason they’re so expensive is because they were the two highest-tier petpanions you could obtain at last year’s Feast of the Exceptional Rose. Without going into too much detail on how the Masquing system worked that time, they both cost roughly 50 Fate apiece, plus Failbetter promised that eventually players would be able to acquire them as CCs, presumably during next month’s Feast.
edited by OPG on 1/3/2014

Has anyone played the Fate locked content for either of these two? I just came across it with a second character I started recently. I’m intrigued as to what the storylet is like, considering the price is bordering on the outrageous.

[/li][li]I looked at those storylets a day ago, and they were available for 40 Fate/Nex each.

[/li]

The storylets aren’t gallopingly outstanding - some interesting lore, but not Neath-shattering. I daresay the cost largely reflects their nature as luxury items, usually only accessible through higher-level seasonal content.

My in-game justification has to do with the fact that Fate seems to be able to bend reality. You can bring characters back to life, clear your own memory, and trigger one-in-a-million chance encounters. After a year of having my devilish companions knocking at my door asking if they could have a conversation about my soul, it seems that was their only goal from the start. To get a devil to forgo a soul would take something very special indeed, especially after they’ve been knocking on my door for well over a year trying to get at it.

Out of game, The Quiet Deviless and the Green-Eyed Devil are unusual characters because they are some of the few characters with whom we can have extended courtships. Most of us encounter their stories early on. I remember my courtship with the Quiet Deviless being one of the highlights of the early game, and I think a lot of people have the same feeling. I imagine that accounts for the price.

Would having the Quiet Deviless and the Green-Eyed Devil as petpanions stop the ‘A Serious Conversation’ cards?

How do you go about selling companions in the game, or anything else for that matter.[li]

Is there a more conventional way for me to acquire one of these companions? I think I have missed my chance to get either one in-game?