questions: companion, velocieped squad, and more

I’ve been building up a bunch of questions about stories, how to avoid missing parts of them mostly.

Velocieped squad - right now I’ve got 3 options that sound like they might advance me to the next stage of that, but I don’t want to advance without getting the other 2 first.
So there is ‘Wheels of the law’, ‘little chat with the inspector’, and ‘an eye wide open’

Constant Companion - the ‘portfoloio of souls’ hints that the quiet deviless could be one, but I don’t really know how. I haven’t advanced the ‘intimate of devils’ because I don’t want to risk trading my soul. Is the risk (or fate) really the only way to go?
What about the Cashmere Princess (she’s got the key to the box) is she courtable? I’m not sure what choices to make if I want to have her as an option
Honey sipping Heiress? I’ve run the standard story romance with her, but she never pops up in my oportunity deck, just the honey sipping jewel theif who was my competator for her affections if I remember correctly.

Mr Eaten’s Name - Just how bad could it be, really? lose 10 levels in watchful? or something worse? I got a note from the masters to stop, but… I’m just so curious. I’m also curious about how many cats this particular curiosity killed… any advice?

tournament of lillies - I’ve bested 1 foe and am rank 2, anyone want to add me as a friend? Then we will fight! (I think I made a twitter account just for that purpose, I’ll have to look it up, I haven’t used it in months.) But speaking of which, I had a little trouble with the friend features on fallen londen, I can’t really interact with friends aside from asking for help and I don’t know who is who.

How do you increase your ‘solving cases around london’ quality? It’s 7 now, but all that ever happens is the solitary glim sculptur tries to torture my mind with his models. What other cases are there to solve?

I’ve done some art for the court, but it’s time for me to do that one ‘banished from the court’ story. The thing is that I’m not really sure I want that. If I refuse him… would I still be banished? I do want to make the writing but if I get banished can I get unbanished (getting kicked out of the university for the murder mystery still stings, but I know I can undo that once my zubmarine is complete)

secrets framed in gold - (I believe that’s the one that starts with a pure black canvas) I didn’t want to drive my repentant forger away (the last step warned that if I pushed him he would hate me forever) but I’m regretting letting the secrets get away. Can anyone tell me what I missed, both in the way of cool items and what the end of the story had.

I have other questions too, but can’t think of them right now.

thank you for your help.

[quote=fizgot]I’ve been building up a bunch of questions about stories, how to avoid missing parts of them mostly.

Velocieped squad - right now I’ve got 3 options that sound like they might advance me to the next stage of that, but I don’t want to advance without getting the other 2 first.
So there is ‘Wheels of the law’, ‘little chat with the inspector’, and ‘an eye wide open’[/quote]

The last one is the fate-locked content of the velocipede squad; I believe the other two are the beginning to another, related story line involving a certain undying maniac. I think they are both entry points to it; but I don’t remember for certain.

[quote]
Constant Companion - the ‘portfoloio of souls’ hints that the quiet deviless could be one, but I don’t really know how. I haven’t advanced the ‘intimate of devils’ because I don’t want to risk trading my soul. Is the risk (or fate) really the only way to go? [/quote]

To date, the quiet deviless is not available as a constant companion, be you souled or otherwise. Of note, though, is that even the Devils want no tack with name-seekers…

[quote]
What about the Cashmere Princess (she’s got the key to the box) is she courtable? I’m not sure what choices to make if I want to have her as an option
Honey sipping Heiress? I’ve run the standard story romance with her, but she never pops up in my oportunity deck, just the honey sipping jewel theif who was my competator for her affections if I remember correctly.[/quote]

Oh, I myself suggested the Cashmere Princess should be available as a companion in another longstanding thread; alas it is not to be. At least not at present. Same for the heiress.

[quote]
Mr Eaten’s Name - Just how bad could it be, really? lose 10 levels in watchful? or something worse? I got a note from the masters to stop, but… I’m just so curious. I’m also curious about how many cats this particular curiosity killed… any advice?[/quote]

It’s done far worse to cats than that. Literally, and figuratively.

Advice? My clique is called “The Erudite and the Eaten,” so I can’t exactly say “turn back” without doing so hypocritically. So, I have no choice… but to do so hypocritically. Turn back. Unfortunately, I suspect you are one of those whose curiosity eclipses your willingness to listen to sound advice.

There is a thread in the other section of the forum specifically for this. Unfortunately, my plant is again at level 1, after having emerged victorious from a previous tournament, so I’d be of little use.

[quote]
How do you increase your ‘solving cases around london’ quality? It’s 7 now, but all that ever happens is the solitary glim sculptur tries to torture my mind with his models. What other cases are there to solve?[/quote]

I don’t remember off the top of my head how to increase it from a given number. I think, though, that there aren’t other cases in the series; simply the glim sculptor, who can eventually lead you to the fate-locked area of flute street. Incidentally, that was my favorite use of fate to date; so consider it! (Breeding beasts in the labyrinth was my second.)

He’ll ask again later if you refuse, I think. I didn’t; I was all too glad to get out of that pretentious place. If you’ve more tolerance for that sort, or a fondness for doilies and propriety, I have heard others have continued to produce works for quite some time and are still able to eventually be banished.

[quote]
secrets framed in gold - (I believe that’s the one that starts with a pure black canvas) I didn’t want to drive my repentant forger away (the last step warned that if I pushed him he would hate me forever) but I’m regretting letting the secrets get away. Can anyone tell me what I missed, both in the way of cool items and what the end of the story had. [/quote]

Alas, not I.

To get to the current levelcap, you will have to die many times; the current last storylet loses you 10 levels in each stat; along the way there, you’ll lose all your second chance items (sudden insights, confdent smiles, etc.) And lots of other item costs which are high.

It’s pretty bad, though I of course recommend it, not like there’s much else to do once you’re statcapped besides grind those things back .

It’s worth noting of course, that the Mr. Eaten plot isn’t over yet, and the costs are only getting steeper. I’ve found the plotline addicting, despite knowing that it is a bad idea. Oh, the life of a Seeker.

The Search for the Name will destroy you and everyone you love. It will be more than you can bear. Even death will provide no escape.

But you will know.

Stop now! No good will come of this.

Really, heed the warnings. You’ll need multiple straveling cats, you’ll die a whole lot, you’ll be imprisoned, you’ll lose your wealth (they never warn you about losing the First Sporing and that one hit me hard), your second chances, and your stats. No good will come of Seeking the Name.

well, besides some of the raddest writing in the game
also it’s not THAT much wealth
the starveling cats are mean though
edited by Spacemarine9 on 9/10/2012

[quote=fizgot]Velocieped squad - right now I’ve got 3 options that sound like they might advance me to the next stage of that, but I don’t want to advance without getting the other 2 first.
So there is ‘Wheels of the law’, ‘little chat with the inspector’, and ‘an eye wide open’[/quote]
“An Eye Wide Open” gives a Fate option which will continue the story, or an options which bumps your Connected: Constables & Dangerous and sends you on your way. The other two are related to the Jack of Smiles Case and neither will lock you out of the Fate option if you decide you want to try it later.

That text on Portfolio of Souls has been there for over a year and it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. Get whichever companion you want now and if another shows up that you want more, you can always get a divorce. It;s not nearly as painful or expensive as an actual one.
To ‘complete’ the Intimate of Devils storylet you have to lose your soul to one of the Devils and use Fate to get it back. I advise against this and would recommend that you throw the Devil out of your house, which will cause the storylet to begin anew, albeit at a much lower level. The Intimate of Devils storylet is one of the few ways to up your Austere, so don’t complete it until you are ready.

No. No she isn’t. Neither is her sister. The choice you make in the Affair of the Box is irrelevant and has no lasting consequences what-so-ever.

Your constant companion options are: Celebrated Artist’s Model, Master Jewel Thief, Cultured Attaché, Devout/Academic/Comfortable Intriguer or Boneless Consort. That is all. Take them or leave them.

Four. It takes four cats. So far. Get friends; lots and lots of friends to send you boxes. Put your name up in the Singing Mandrake as someone who needs boxes [color=0000CC]here[/color]

Find Tournament of Lilies players [color=0000CC]here.[/color]
Start signing in through your Twitter. Do a search for #fallenlondon and follow folks who post it. It won’t take long to get plenty of friends. Facebook is terrible and problematic. Not only does it have issues with echoing and signing in, people are far less likely to friend you for Fallen London purposes than they are on Twitter. Look up your Twitter info and start using that for Fallen London. It’s just better.

You’ve hit the content barrier. There are no more cases to solve. Spend the Fate to go to Flute Street or ignore him.

Once you are banished, you are banished for good. If you refuse him, he will ask again later.

That’s Fate locked content, so that info is not to be shared.

[quote=fizgot]I have other questions too, but can’t think of them right now.
thank you for your help.[/quote]
Anytime. We’ll be here.

Thanks for all the replies. I haven’t ever seen a starveling cat, I didn’t know they were itemized. Nor had I heard of half the companion options.

I think I’ll let the master’s note on Eaten’s name sit for a while. I’ve got plenty of things to do before that quest. (including traveling to the other parts of the world)

out of curiosity… North?

they say that the answer to the mystery of Mr Eaten lies to the North. Or possibly just insanity and/or a messy end.

It will be quite a while before we can travel North. If you are wondering what North is, there are quite a few theories in The Salon, but it is likely equal parts T.S. Elliot and Zork.

That’s Fate locked content, so that info is not to be shared.[/quote]
The content itself perhaps, but not your opinions of it.

To continue along the line of fizgot’s questions: did you (the knowledgeable reader of this thread) believe the items to be had were cool? Do you think the end of the story was worth your while?

That’s Fate locked content, so that info is not to be shared.[/quote]
The content itself perhaps, but not your opinions of it.

To continue along the line of fizgot’s questions: did you (the knowledgeable reader of this thread) believe the items to be had were cool? Do you think the end of the story was worth your while?[/quote]

When he says ‘fate locked’ does he mean that the choice would cost fate? or that the whole story costed fate? Because I thought I had gone to the next-to-last step, where it warned me that if I continued I would lose my acquaintance: repentant forger, I had paid fate to get him as the story starter and didn’t want to lose that investment, the choice that would have lost him didn’t cost fate… does that mean there were more choices left to be made?

Is it possible to get that story again? My forger hasn’t done anything for me in a while and maybe I would sizzle his sanity for a look deeper into the portrait.

new question: What is stormy eyed and where does one get it? It keeps popping up in ‘What the thunder said’ and I thought if I kept progressing I would get it and unlock more choices… but now I can’t play earlier cards in that story and have forever missed my chance to learn what the thunder says to people who’ve got storm all up in their eyes.

Twitter questions!

For anyone who wants to exchange boxed cats, call on me for any menace reduction, or … whatever. My Twitter is Fizgot Nerdofsky

I actually don’t ‘use’ twitter… so I’m not sure if that’s my ID or just the name assosiated with my account and … yeah. I’m also not sure how FL tells if someone is a ‘friend’ do you have to follow me as well as me follow you? does it consider people following you to be friends? or people you’re following?

thanks again for everyone’s help, opinions, and social interaction.

You have to either follow someone or become followed by someone else.
Additionally, you might want to check out the threads for [color=#990000]Starveling cats[/color] and [color=#006600]Second chances/menaces[/color]

If you think of Seeking the Name as an elaborate poetic metaphor for a crippling heroin addiction, you won’t be far off.

It will have approximately the same effect on your mind, body, soul, financial status, social standing, moral compass and long-term survival prospects.

One gets it by reaching “Having Recurring Dreams: What the Thunder Said 18”.

One other note on the Name- you don’t have to play the “Message from the Masters” card to advance your current state. You have a couple of options, and if you care about [color=#ffffff]your Connected: The Masters[/color], it’s much more expensive to restore than anything the other options cost. I just discarded that card whenever it came up.

I meant the whole storylet costs Fate. When you have to pay Fate or Nex for a storylet, that storylet is considered Fate-locked and should not be posted or discussed openly on the forums as per the forum rules. Not even in spoiler tags.
If you can find someone who will discuss it with you over PM or through e-mail, I believe that is okay. In regards to this particular storylet, your choice is but one of many and is neither better nor worse than any other. With Fallen London as in life there are choices you have made with which you shall have to live.

No, it is not.

This is a great blog post about how the Story-Eyed mechanics functions as a narrative device as well as a mechanical one. It takes a while to get, but it’s option is there as a teaser to encourage you to get it.

It is far less complicated than you are making it. If you follow someone or if they follow you(or both,) they are your friend and will show up on your “My Friends” tab. You can then exchange social actions with that person. It’s that easy.
Here is your Twitter page. Your name is Fizgot Nerdofsky and your Twitter handle is @Nerdofsky. You might want to put that in your sig so that people who see your posts can click on it and follow you.
edited by Nigel Overstreet on 9/11/2012

If you think of Seeking the Name as an elaborate poetic metaphor for a crippling heroin addiction, you won’t be far off.

It will have approximately the same effect on your mind, body, soul, financial status, social standing, moral compass and long-term survival prospects.[/quote]

So it turns a person into Sherlock Holmes? Good to know.

[quote=Passionario]

One gets it by reaching “Having Recurring Dreams: What the Thunder Said 18”.[/quote]

And then does the dream start over? So that I can use the new stormy eyes on cards that only appear early in the dream cycle? I suppose I’ll discover the answer to that question in time.

[quote=fizgot]
And then does the dream start over? So that I can use the new stormy eyes on cards that only appear early in the dream cycle? I suppose I’ll discover the answer to that question in time.[/quote]

I believe so.