Questions and Advice

Captains, I admit to some confusion and beg of your assistance.

1. Could anyone advise me where to find Long Boxes?
    2̶.̶ ̶H̶o̶w̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶F̶o̶r̶g̶-̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶a̶h̶,̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶g̶i̶c̶i̶a̶n̶.̶ ̶N̶e̶v̶e̶r̶m̶i̶n̶d̶.̶

If any one has questions of their own, here seems as good a place as any to ask them.
edited by lily on 6/4/2014

Long Boxes - seem to be rare I have one character that found one while fighting a Lifeberg and another who came across one in Venderbight. I still haven’t managed to get a second one for either character:(

Where under God’s green earth do you find a Serpent Image to advance the Magician’s storyline?

Venderbight - it is one of the options on something, you might need to scroll down to see it.

Is it a rare result or something? Do you remember specifically which option? I’d thought it was there from earlier in the beta but I’ve been in and out of that town probably 200 times in the past couple days and no luck.

It’s the Outlandish Artefact, I suppose you have already talked to the Magician, it only shows if you have progressed his story far enough … just having him isn’t enough.

Yeah, I’ve spoken with him, had him jump off the ship, gotten a New him, spoken again, etc. I just haven’t seen the artifact option at Venderbight.

It’s just one of the random options for exploring the port - keep on visiting, sacrifice Supplies to the RNG, and hope.

The magician’s special action is below the page break – at least on my resolution – so don’t forget to scroll down on any events you get in Venderbight.[li]
edited by MEngland on 6/14/2014

I restarted with a new game and it popped up on like my third visit. I think I must’ve had some sort of bug.

I was wondering what the best way to reduce terror is? it’s the main thing that sucks up my profit from trading and exploring if i go carousing in pubs and such.

Carousing in Wolfstack and getting the Likely Lass/Lad is the best way to reduce it now that they’ve nerfed Mutton Island. What makes the biggest difference though is not getting terror in the first place – try hugging shorelines and buoys as much as possible, as well as getting a faster engine to reduce overall travel time.[li]
edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy on 6/15/2014

Hugging shorelines sounds like a great idea, boring though haha!

Dumb Q: there is no way to recover from running out of fuel, right? I just managed to take my eye off the fuel gauge for the first time ever, and arrived at Hunter’s Keep with only fumes; of course, I saved and have probably lost a week or so of gameplay in the process :-P. So I figured I would check that I am not missing some escape hatch here…

Nope! If there is, I’ve never seen one. Although if you get coffee from a Cache of Curiosity one of your crew says it could be used as fuel, it doesn’t actually seem to be usable as an emergency measure. It’d be nice if you could shove excess Supplies or a crewman or something in the furnace as a desperate last-ditch fuel source. Maybe that’s something already planned, even, who knows
edited by Spacemarine9 on 6/18/2014

Figured. Well, there’s a very splendid ship currently awaiting salvage at Hunter’s Keep, then: for the price of a single fuel you can have 15 Scintillating Treasures, 60-odd each of Zee-ztories/Tales of Terror/Memories of Shores, and 40,000+ Echoes… in addition to eoliths, artifacts, and the like. I was SO CLOSE to that damn Zong.

Vent, vent. I’ve played roguelikes, I should know better…

…but: ouch.

Theoretically you could probably wait until something came along, you killed it, looted it, and it dropped a fuel barrel. Odds are you’d die of starvation in the meanwhile though. [li]
edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy on 6/18/2014

Is there any cost effective terror reduction option that is currently available other than carousing in FL?

I’ve found stopping by Hunter’s keep with recent news on the way north (the middle option of lunch, I believe) can help some, but its not really something you can do over and over.

Where is Khan’s heart?