Questions about the breeding of beasts and parties

…not at the same time. Just saying.

Parties first. I have somewhat recently become a Person of some importance, and have attended a few parties. My questions are fairly simple; do talk of the towns carry over, and are they reduced by TtH, or anything else? And which of the 12 quality options do you all prefer?

Now for the beasts. I have also, fairly recently, gotten far enough into the labyrinth of tigers to start breeding beasts. I have gone and gotten (and…bred? Maybe?) the bandaged tiger from the tomb colonies, but I was wondering if I should consider doing it again. Some general advice for breeding would be appreciated.

[quote=Chrona]…not at the same time. Just saying.

Parties first. I have somewhat recently become a Person of some importance, and have attended a few parties. My questions are fairly simple; do talk of the towns carry over, and are they reduced by TtH, or anything else? And which of the 12 quality options do you all prefer?[/quote]
Talk of Town (ToT) stacks, no cap yet (I hit level 78 or something) and it’s not reduced by TtH. You can use it to get many favours, but it has some requirements (just check wiki for extra details) and you can just pile ToT to an absurd level.
As you are a PoSI you will find yourself in need of a MW boost; parties are great specially if you pick the last option! If you need more MW and have the Bazaar lodgings, a box of curiosities and 7 society favours, you can hold a Private Auction for more MW and nice E!

Wish you good luck on your adventures and I wish to leave you to explore this lovely world. An advice which I wish I got when I started: don’t rush to finish stories, get E, increase stats to max. Take it slow, enjoy the game, the writing and everything! Leave the mindless clicking for times when you are on the rush and just want to spend some AP.

General advice for breedIng separates based on a simple question: did you pay fate for Empyrean Redolence?

If you did, you can breed all the beasts into a specific companion, and you can potentially breed them all together into yet another companion. Some of the second-tier beasts are handy for the opportunity cards they give; none are indispensable. If you don’t have Empyrean Redolence, you can breed any beasts as much as you want, and you’ll get piles of items for doing so (along with interesting text). Whether that’s worthwhile is up to you. It’s probably not a particularly good source of income, but it can be a source of some items if you specifically need them.

For parties, they’re helpful for a new PoSI in need of Favours in High Places and Personal Recommendations for specific uses. Figure out what you need and use your Talk of the Town for that. Otherwise Favours in High Places are generally the more useful currency, but I tend to just accumulate TotT to ridiculous levels.

Keep in mind that parties are also great sources of several kinds of favour!

I have not purchased anything with fate before. But that item, and the key to flute street, are two I might well consider.

So you can only get the hound of heaven if you have that particular item for breeding?

The Hound of Heaven is obtained by breeding a Plated Seal. Purchasing the Empyrean Redolence story allows you to create four new beasts; these plus the Hound of Heaven can be used to create a Bifurcated Owl.

Ah ok. So the other options for breeding give various items? Hmm. It mentioned in the tutorial bit about mixing various strategies of breeding, or something like that. What did it mean by that? Also, is there something very different when you succeed vs fail with the actual breeding attempt?

Also, I’ll be honest, I kind of thought that the Plated Seal might create it (it is the most serpentine one). But to get it, I must obtain a ship.

By &quotmixing various strategies of breeding&quot: In the Labyrinth of Tigers, options should be present to tame your beast, feed your beast, and to thwack devils. (It’s relevant, I swear.) Generally, doing more than one of these before breeding will improve the quality/quantity of the items you receive.

As for the success or failure on the breeding attempt: From what I understand, the same type of item is awarded, but in a somewhat different amount. The Bishop of Southwark also reacts differently depending on whether you do or don’t succeed on the challenge. The challenge is irrelevant when breeding the Hound, however.

Sooo…no matter what, you lose your “monster”? That’s rather disappointing. Getting the tomb lion was rather a pain, and not something I plan on repeating.

Ah well, thank you!

Yes, all breeding costs you whatever you bred. None of the creatures have any use except breeding, though, so it’s not a huge loss. The Tomb Lion is fairly easy to pick up in passing if you ever happen to go to the Tomb Colonies, and the Plated Seal is easily but slightly slowly picked up any time you’re at zee.

There’s so many different beasts to breed and so many ways - different combinations of the three qualities. I thought it was a good fun late-game exercise to try to breed as many different combinations as you can, just to see what happens. There’s some random stuff that get bred.

The Hyaena is easiest to get, but none of them are particularly difficult later on, just take some actions.

The plated seal is also nice for grinding Church favours or wine cellars - and amazing if you’ve got a use for both.