Questioning The Eternal Loss Of Limited Items

Do you think Failbetter should implement some sort of method to allow players to send each other one of a kind familiars or items?

Your Panthers, your Hearts, your Monstrous Orbs (or maybe the story it was gained from), the Copy’s made of the Crimson Book, the Toy Boats, the Mirror-Catch Boxes, your Hats from before the world held color, your Light Promoted Crustaceans, etc.
Those things.

I mean; I think it should say who it was sent from and who owned it first, but now that the North is open I can’t stop thinking about some of the key things we’ve lost.

I’m just wondering if anyone else agrees.
primarily those who have gone North, or those who want to go North but don’t want to destroy such items forever.
I also just want to know what anyone whose earned these items would think of this, as it would probably float better with Failbetter if you lot still considered it fair.

All things must end in time.

Mirrorcatch Boxes aren’t limited anymore, for what it’s worth.

To answer the question, no. I wouldn’t, however, mind opportunities to acquire them anew. Ideally next to actual uses for them. (Looking at you, Crimson Book. Crustacean.)

[quote=Jeremy Avalon]Mirrorcatch Boxes aren’t limited anymore, for what it’s worth.

To answer the question, no. I wouldn’t, however, mind opportunities to acquire them anew. Ideally next to actual uses for them. (Looking at you, Crimson Book. Crustacean.)[/quote]
That also works.

Any ideas about the Panthers and the Hearts?
Mainly the Heart.
The loss of the Heart worries me.

And the Monstrous Orb but that’s of slightly less concern.

Also, when did mirrorcatch boxes stop being limited in number?
And where do I begin my quest to earn one?
edited by Agent ‘Trilby’ on 7/3/2017
edited by Agent ‘Trilby’ on 7/3/2017

You can play the Exceptional Story Cut with Moonlight to get as many as you feel you need.

Cut With Moonlight allows you to purchase (and consume) filled Mirrorcatch Boxes, which leave a normal Empty Mirrorcatch Box (with the +10 Baroque) in your Inventory upon consumption. They’re also currently impossible to rid yourself of, since Knife-and-Candle is on hiatus…

Frankly I was hoping the Dadd Wing, Parabolan Panther, and Cladery Heart were eventually going to be made available for Fate, but that doesn’t seem to be the plan.

Panthers, The Hearts, and (to some extent) Mirrorcatch Boxes are all Fate-locked so being able to send them on would be a bit of an issue. Mirrorcatch Boxes will presumably have such functionality again anyways whenever K&C returns. I also heard something about the Primitive Hats being Fate-locked too.

Being able to pass around non-Fate unique items also seems a little silly to me, but like Jeremy Avalon said, new opportunities would serve much the same purpose. I’d love to get a Monstrous Orb myself but access to a teaser story for a game released years ago does seem a little silly. More appearances of Particular Day in the Neath content would be nice for the Book and Toy Boats. I would absolutely love to get a Gilded Crustacean… though if that sunlight event returned it would seem a bit less special. And that event would need very different implementation. (Now that we have MIrrorcatch Boxes around, we could take that option though. So tempting.)

Really what I want are ways to get the REALLY obscure items, the ones only a few people got early in the game’s history or even the ones that have never been obtainable. Handsome Lad with a Healthy Appetite! Wolfie! Noise-Eaters! Memorycatch boxes! Of course, making these less rare would make them less special too.
edited by Optimatum on 7/3/2017

[quote=Jeremy Avalon]Cut With Moonlight allows you to purchase (and consume) filled Mirrorcatch Boxes, which leave a normal Empty Mirrorcatch Box (with the +10 Baroque) in your Inventory upon consumption. They’re also currently impossible to rid yourself of, since Knife-and-Candle is on hiatus…

Frankly I was hoping the Dadd Wing, Parabolan Panther, and Cladery Heart were eventually going to be made available for Fate, but that doesn’t seem to be the plan.[/quote]

Dadd Wing?

The Dadd Wing was one of the in London backer rewards for Sunless Sea. If I remember correctly it is part of the Museum of Mistakes.

The Dadd Wing content is the source of the home comfort Paintings entitled ‘Ambition’, ‘Self-Interest’, and ‘Contentment’.

On the subject of Particular Day content, I know that Exceptional Stories have largely replaced it, and done much better at both keeping the studio funded and players entertained, but I still think it’d be nice for the Particular Day codes to be recycled every so often, especially since most of them were not distinct one-time affairs like ESes are.

There are some games where I don’t like things to be Lost Forever and there are some where I don’t mind. Fallen London is in the latter camp, since most the Lost Forever things are just collector’s items with no real use. They’re 100% just to show off on mantlepieces.

Were this a realtime multiplayer game with graphics and such I may have wanted some of the equipment to be returned, simply because I love playing dress up in such games and would be heartbroken to know some outfits are forever unattainable. Fallen London does not have any such analogous thing though.

As a side note, I do feel the equipment with useful stats (such as the waxwail knife and the hats from this election) should either be obtainable again or an equivalent/better item introduced. This is just because they have an in-game purpose, though.
edited by Kaijyuu on 7/4/2017