Question with Protégé/Patron

I am new to the game and I was wondering if anyone can help me understand this,

I sent out a calling card to a lady and we have become acquainted, then she accepted my patron request and now she is sending me a protégé request and when I try to accept it, it says I do not have the qualities to accept the invitation…

[quote=lorisaan]I am new to the game and I was wondering if anyone can help me understand this,

I sent out a calling card to a lady and we have become acquainted, then she accepted my patron request and now she is sending me a protégé request and when I try to accept it, it says I do not have the qualities to accept the invitation…[/quote]

Check the ‘Acquaintance’ menu (under QUALITIES) on your ‘Myself’ tab - are you already ‘A Protege of…’ the other character at this point?
edited by bitterhorn on 4/28/2015

Protege requests need free evenings (item) from both players. You get five a week from time the healer and the lessons consume them on use. Oftentimes, the lacks quality message means your patron has used all of their free evenings for this week before you could accept the lesson (perhaps with dinners). You might be out of evenings, or possibly one of you is not currently in London (menace states for example do not count as being in London).

I suggest you check that both parties have at least one free evening item and if not try waiting for time the healer to deliver a fresh batch.
edited by NiteBrite on 4/28/2015

Final note, if your base stat plus currently equipped item bonuses is greater than 100, that too will prevent you from accepting lessons. A Talkative Rattus Faber can extend how far you can raise your stats with lessons for example.
edited by NiteBrite on 4/28/2015