Question about multiple chars

Hey guys. I seem to recall hearing a few things about Failbetter’s attitue towards having more then one char, but I can’t remember what it was. Can someone inform me on this matter?

FBG themselves rarely comment on this officially, but the terms of service clearly state that it’s forbidden to use multiple accounts to gain “competative advantage”.

But if you just want to see all the stories, a lot of people do that.

They are absolutely okay with you playing multiple characters. You’ll see many forum members here displaying multiple accounts in their signature.

The “competitive advantage” referred to Fate-farming: it was possible (years ago) to gift another player 10 Fate, an amount any new account can earn in-game. That way, some b-----d apparently used hundreds of alts to farm free Fate and gift it to his main. That lead to the 10 Fate gift option being deactivated (it’s still possible to send 100 Fate to another account, but you can’t get that much for free).

Also, likely, to actual competitive things, such as Knife & Candle (currently on hiatus).

Also, likely, to actual competitive things, such as Knife & Candle (currently on hiatus).[/quote]
Though using it for large in-game benefit in general is kinda iffy, it’s often non-viable anyways- like grinding massive numbers of first city coins on your alts, or eyeless skulls for a main who hadn’t unlocked the nadir.

The competative advantage clause is a bit of an odd one since fallen London isn’t really competative. A lot of people certainly have alts. I have one. Some people have as many as 4. The possible interactions between them are fairly limited. I suspect as long as you don’t have too many of them and aren’t using them gang up on and harass other players (something you shouldn’t be doing with a single account anyway) no one particularly cares about people having multiple characters.

[quote=Grenem]like grinding massive numbers of first city coins on your alts, or eyeless skulls for a main who hadn’t unlocked the nadir[/quote]While that is probably not how the game is meant to be played, I wouldn’t consider it cheating - you’re not taking anything away from other players or giving yourself an advantage over them.

However, fixing K&C fights against your alts until you can afford a Waxwail Knife - without ever having won a fair fight - I would certainly call that cheating. No idea how common it is though, I only dabbled in K&C very shortly as I didn’t like the mechanics.

[quote=phryne][quote=Grenem]like grinding massive numbers of first city coins on your alts, or eyeless skulls for a main who hadn’t unlocked the nadir[/quote]While that is probably not how the game is meant to be played, I wouldn’t consider it cheating - you’re not taking anything away from other players or giving yourself an advantage over them.

However, fixing K&C fights against your alts until you can afford a Waxwail Knife - without ever having won a fair fight - I would certainly call that cheating. No idea how common it is though, I only dabbled in K&C very shortly as I didn’t like the mechanics.[/quote]

Speaking only for myself, I never so much as challenged my alt to a K&C bout, and I think I only invited her to my Salon (her character is an Author, mine no longer is) once. Besides, although I don’t spend nearly as much time playing my alt, I still want her to be an independent character, even if she’s not my favorite character.