Professions and lore

Hello,

I’m having a hard time choosing profession.
I don’t care much for stats, I want one I like what the lore is about.
Problem : I don’t understand much about that !

Especially the Glassman, the Crooked-Cross and the Midnighter.

Can someone tell me what those are about ?

If your stats are below level 70 (without equipment) I would recommend keeping with starter professions, as they will boost your stats every week.

A Glassman is an explorer of Parabola, the land behind mirrors that most people only ever experience in dreams. A Crooked-Cross is a missionary for Hell - one who tempts mortals into the path of vice. A Midnighter is a member of the secret cult of spies, who arrange exchanges and services in the name of the patron saint of espionage.

My stats are all naturally well beyond 70.

Thanks for the answer.
The Glassman looks interesting !
And so does the Midnighter, but I’ve checked around 7 or 8 high level players, and all of them were midnighters. Doesn’t seem very original.

My stats are all naturally well beyond 70.

Thanks for the answer.
The Glassman looks interesting !
And so does the Midnighter, but I’ve checked around 7 or 8 high level players, and all of them were midnighters. Doesn’t seem very original.[/quote]

Thought you wanted lore, rather than originality?

My anecdotal experience is that most people with a top-level profession are either Midnighters (I assume because of the Shrine being the best home comfort from a stats perspective) or Correspondents (I assume because of the Ink being useful when you want to grind high levels of SotC).

There are plenty of Glassmen, too. I have not seen a lot of Crooked Crosses or Monster Hunters (though my alt is one), and even fewer Licentiates. If it’s rarity you want, you’re probably better off with one of those.

Otherwise, Sir Fred has given a good overview of the three you mentioned, to which I would add that Licentiates seem to be very much servants/weapons of the Masters, Correspondents are students of the eldritch and arcane, and Monster Hunters pretty much do their own thing on the fringes of Neathy society.

Lies, slander, and calumny! Well…perhaps mostly false. Certainly there are a number of Crooked Crosses who revel in the fall, but they are no more than a visible minority. If it were purely about being a missionary for Hell, why would we need Connections with the Church and the free-thinkers of Benthic College as well? The Church clearly approves of our actions, and they wish to shepherd souls, while the University barely believes in them at all!

The Crooked-Cross is a grand tradition, with our one of our Surface partners given a position on the Vatican council to elect popes and saints. The D___l himself is but the prosecuting counsel in the heavenly court, as seen in the Book of Job. Our truest calling is not in the fall, but in the struggle itself. Our purpose is the winnowing rod that separates the wheat from the chaff.

I contend that any holy man who falls to a Crooked-Cross’s temptation was not much of a holy man to begin with. By driving his hypocrisy into the open we are doing the flock a service.