Pre-Significant Story Summary

Greetings. [li]
I am relatively new to the Neath, having only been playing for a year, just recently significant. I stumbled across the Salon some months ago, and was immediately struck with a vehement curiosity. I had never considered that there was such depth to the mystery, having previously simply enjoyed the world, while giving little thought to the currents of intrigue now revealed to me here.

So. It would be unbelievably appreciated if someone better informed than me could summarise the essential parts of the plot so far, up until becoming a PoSI. I feel unequipped to fully appreciate the game, as I have perhaps not given the plot as much thought as I should. Parabolas? Liberation of the Night? The Great Game? Masters?
I have a good feel for many of the characters, but lack an understanding of the overarching conflicts and intrigues.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to en cough lighten me.

Parabola: The land behind the mirrors, where dreamers and artists often go (also the land of dreams, or at least connected).
Liberation of the Night: Revolutionary Plot
The Great Game: Hell of a lot of spies, they pretty much cancel each other out in effectiveness though.
Masters of the Bazaar: Space-Bats that are in charge of various areas of industry. Separate from the Bazaar, perhaps caretakers for it? Much is unclear. You really need to pay attention and think hard to piece it all together.

Also, check out the wiki. You can’t navigate the story, but if you remember anything you want to double-check, feel free.

Another important thing:

The Bazaar seems to be a living being, interested somehow in stories. It is not really clear why (does she eat them? does she use them as a tatoo, as a collection, as a plot?).

[quote=Sam Powick]Greetings. [li]
I am relatively new to the Neath, having only been playing for a year, just recently significant. I stumbled across the Salon some months ago, and was immediately struck with a vehement curiosity. I had never considered that there was such depth to the mystery, having previously simply enjoyed the world, while giving little thought to the currents of intrigue now revealed to me here.

So. It would be unbelievably appreciated if someone better informed than me could summarise the essential parts of the plot so far, up until becoming a PoSI. I feel unequipped to fully appreciate the game, as I have perhaps not given the plot as much thought as I should. Parabolas? Liberation of the Night? The Great Game? Masters?
I have a good feel for many of the characters, but lack an understanding of the overarching conflicts and intrigues.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to en cough lighten me.[/quote]

Before PoSI? Well, before the really high-grade mystery stuff, a lot of the focus is on getting your foot in the door of the bigger picture. What is the correspondence? Why did the Bazaar buy London? The answer to those questions is a major part of the story for pre-PoSI watchful. Dangerous is about choosing who you’re fighting for, and getting a taste of some of the mysteries overseas. You also become acquainted with some of the more prominent menaces. Spiders. Jack. Monsters in general. Shadowy involves getting involved in the stories of Parabola, the Fingerkings, and the ever-important Affair of the Box. Persuasive gives you insights into the nature of such figures as the Empress, the Ambassador, and opens the door for all kinds of fun stuff as you progress.[/li] So, main plot points prior to PoSI gameplay:

• What does the Bazaar want? Why does it buy cities? What is the greater significance of a language that speaks between stars?[/li] [li]What’s the deal with the Elder Continent? Why is death so bizarre, and why does death seem to affect some folks differently than others?[/li] [li]What is going on with Parabola/the land behind mirrors? Who/what are the fingerkings?[/li] [li]What happens to the cities the Bazaar buys? The people? What about the people who sold the cities?[/li] [li]What makes London different from the other cities bought?

As an aside, is it just me, or do we know more of the First City than the Third? It seems not much remains of that acquisition.

This is merely because nobody is interested, and certainly has nothing to do with The Masters’ desire to keep the events of what happened under wraps. nervously looks to the skies for bats No, none whatsoever. Nothing to do with priest-kings and wells. Forget this avenue of discussion.

technically there’s nothing much left of the fourth city either. the masters(or was that the devils?) pretty much nuked it because of a certain over-ambitious traitor

I was referring more to the amount of information left of it. The FOurth City may be gone, but a decent amount of lore can be gathered. We seem to have less regarding the Third City than even the First and Second, however.

I have my theory as to why, but was mostly just pointing out that there’s not much of a footprint left by them.

[quote=Mordaine Barimen]I was referring more to the amount of information left of it. The FOurth City may be gone, but a decent amount of lore can be gathered. We seem to have less regarding the Third City than even the First and Second, however.

I have my theory as to why, but was mostly just pointing out that there’s not much of a footprint left by them.[/quote]

We know more of the First City thanks to the Heart’s Desire ambition that have ties to it. The Third City, on the other hand, is pretty difficult to pin down due to the Masters’ disinterest in people/Rubbery people/Clay people trying to find out more about it and the vagueness - even for Fallen London status! - that are the clues left behind in regards to it existence.

If you check the Fallen Cities thread, you’ll notice that most people are in agreement for what 1, 2 and 4 are while 3 is often the ‘shoot and hope it sticks’ City theory.

What we do know is that its from America and has ties to the Elder Continent somehow thanks to the relic of the City being categorised in ‘Elder’ if you happen to have some relic or 500 in your inventory. I think whenever we get to advance the Dilmun Club’s storyline then that’s the time we get to glean more information.