PoSIness and Dangerousness

Good evening delicious friends.

I finally reached the status of a PoSI. Being crushed by many new opportunities, encounters and tracks to follow, i’m getting a bit lost.
Some assistance would be appreciated to understand the rules of that new game :

_with bazare sidestreet you acquire rare ressources by doing some trade, but you could also get them by &quotusing&quot more common stuff. Is one of these 2 ways more interesting than the other in term of profitability?

_ With all the &quotunfinished business in …&quot i guess you can get those said common ressources at a higher rate but for a more expensive action cost.
Are these business really worth the action points ?

_I’m actually unlocking a lot of new gold opportunity cards which ask for some rare ressources to keep exploring them. Can i follow all of them or does following one close the others ?

I could also use some explanation on what exactly corresponds this &quotLodging inventory&quot slots ?

Finally the second part of my letter today is about how to increase my dangerousness.

Actually at 83 raw stats, caping at 105 with gear, i’m raising it by hunting some big game for now. Matter is my wounds increase at a far faster rate than my dangerousness. I wonder if i should us all sort of ways to possibly reduce my wounds (dark dew cherry, time in bed, WD medic for 50 rosty golds) or if i should rather progress to 8 wounds then waste some time with the boat driver playing chess.
All in all, i’m not sure of the profitablity of those menace reducing choice which are very costy for a really low benefice.

This game really makes me feel like i climb one step up to finish 2 steps down with those menace management…

I could use some serious hints to raise Dangerous and Sneaky to 100 without spending 2/3 of my time either on a boat or in a prison.

Thanks for reading me, praise you for answering !

yours faithfully !

AguSky The Witty

This wiki guide can help you out with finding ways to get the various components you need in the Bazaar Sidestreets. I would suggest not making the new items a high priority at this stage, as they are very expensive and primarily useful for easing the Notability grind, which is not something I’d suggest a new PoSI concern themselves with either. The only exception I’d make to that is the Gang of Hoodlums, which unlock the most efficient means of building Casing and thus the best means of grinding up your Shadowy (through selling information to criminals) as well as certain valuable items (through Thefts of Particular Character).

The only mutually exclusive choice from the new gold opportunity cards is joining the Young Stags vs. joining The Parthenaeum, but you should still start both of those to get them out of your deck and into a storylet on the sidestreets. You only get locked out of one or the other once you finish the chain and actually join up.

Unfinished Business is often the most efficient way to grind specific resources, but they are not profitable actions in general. Use them when you need something in particular, but otherwise stick to following storylines and seeing what that gets you.

Wounds maintenance is difficult. Time in Bed gets more reliable if you have the four main Acquaintances at level 5 or higher so you can use their actions instead of the luck checks. If your main goal is just increasing the stat, start getting into a lot of sparring matches and trade the Hard-Earned Lessons for stat increases. If you have access to the Labyrinth of Tigers, Taking some Refreshment is a good way to reduce Wounds and get some Incendiary Gossip while you’re at it, but your Dangerous isn’t quite high enough to make that action reliable. Social actions are, as always, an efficient way to keep menaces under control, but you can’t solicit help for Wounds; you have to wait for someone to offer it.

My best advice, then, is to cultivate an array of contacts who are willing to check in from time to time and see if you need assistance. Find something useful you can do for them on a regular basis so that you can remind them you exist and may need help.

Businesses in the Side-streets, like the Bazaar shops that charge in Echoes, are the “fast but expensive” way to procure items, only a great idea for those who are wealthy and in a hurry. If you have the materials needed, you can get what you want in a single action on the Side-streets – but if you’re going to grind the materials, the Side-streets are much more costly in actions than converting upwards from more common goods, or acquiring them via another method like cashing in Dramatic Tension via the Wilmot’s End or War of Assassins carousels.

The only exceptions where the Side-streets are useful, I think, are gemstones and items that are difficult to get elsewhere (Portfolio of Souls, Bejewelled Lens, maybe Book of Hidden Bodies). As for getting those common goods, Unfinished Business is your best bet for the lowest-tier items, although there are better ways of getting some of the mid-tier items (stealing them in the Flit, cashing in Boxfuls of Intrigue, etc.) If you’re curious about any particular Side-street item, feel free to ask about the most efficient way to get one.

As for Menaces, the usual recommendation is to find a partner to exchange social actions with, since those are generally speaking the most effective way to reduce Menaces; you may also want to keep an eye out for menace-reducing opportunity cards, especially if you’re working on Spending Secrets and Counting the Days, which helps open up some worthwhile choices. If you’re waiting on social actions or cards, you can always manage menaces by switching to working on a different stat – the build-up and reduction of menaces is easier to cope with if you spread it around between multiple menaces.

I did most of mine through the Labyrinth of Tigers, stopping at the third tier. When it would get as high as very modest, I put on a Talkative Rat and other negative strength items to lower it back down. However, I don’t know what your strength is right now, but if it is too low to start working down the Labyrinth, then you are in the right place in the docks.

I’ll toss you some sparring matches.

Thanks all for your advice, and Arcsbane for those sparring matches, invigorating indeed !
Maybe could you now look for my wounds ? After all this trouncing you offered me ! Haha !

Just a quick note, do try to stay out of new newgate. Once you become a bit too familiar with London’s criminal justice system it get’s dreadfully hard not to find yourself locked back up again. Feel free to contact me for menace reduction actions.

Thanks for the Tip Dom-Delouise ! i’ll contact you right now !
To all, i’m amazed by the effect of being nursed on wounds ! don’t hesistate to ask me for some nursing (as it’s my RL job) in need !

Don’t mind my hijacking of the thread, but could anyone lend me a point of notability? I need to get my profession back before Time, the Healer comes! Thanks.

[quote=AguSky]Good evening delicious friends.

I finally reached the status of a PoSI. Being crushed by many new opportunities, encounters and tracks to follow, i’m getting a bit lost.
Some assistance would be appreciated to understand the rules of that new game :

_with bazare sidestreet you acquire rare ressources by doing some trade, but you could also get them by &quotusing&quot more common stuff. Is one of these 2 ways more interesting than the other in term of profitability?

_ With all the &quotunfinished business in …&quot i guess you can get those said common ressources at a higher rate but for a more expensive action cost.
Are these business really worth the action points ?

_I’m actually unlocking a lot of new gold opportunity cards which ask for some rare ressources to keep exploring them. Can i follow all of them or does following one close the others ?

I could also use some explanation on what exactly corresponds this &quotLodging inventory&quot slots ?

Finally the second part of my letter today is about how to increase my dangerousness.

Actually at 83 raw stats, caping at 105 with gear, i’m raising it by hunting some big game for now. Matter is my wounds increase at a far faster rate than my dangerousness. I wonder if i should us all sort of ways to possibly reduce my wounds (dark dew cherry, time in bed, WD medic for 50 rosty golds) or if i should rather progress to 8 wounds then waste some time with the boat driver playing chess.
All in all, i’m not sure of the profitablity of those menace reducing choice which are very costy for a really low benefice.

This game really makes me feel like i climb one step up to finish 2 steps down with those menace management…

I could use some serious hints to raise Dangerous and Sneaky to 100 without spending 2/3 of my time either on a boat or in a prison.

Thanks for reading me, praise you for answering !

yours faithfully !

AguSky The Witty[/quote]

A very good evening to you, AguSky! I’d be pleased beyond measure to assisst you with wounds on a steady basis in return for some help with suspicion at a mutually profitable 1:1 rate. Deal?

I’m Happy Londener in the city.

Very sorry dear, but I’m at 15, and it’s just to expensive to give. You can take me out to dinner…

Once I have at least 2 notability I can return the point to you… so…

Very sorry dear, but I’m at 15, and it’s just to expensive to give. You can take me out to dinner…[/quote]

Unfortunately you can’t give a point of notability to someone who has notability. It is just a nice thing to give to a new POSI or to someone who has spent theirs for a good purpose.

I’m a newly-made PoSI with no notability at all. Not hinting at anything! Just thought it was the right time to mention it:)

Actually, this is false. The payment you get isn’t profession specific. As long as you don’t claim it, you have another week to change your profession to get your desired payment before Time comes again and sets your Professional Payment to 1.

Unless of course, you already have the one payment sitting around, that is.
edited by Theus on 7/17/2015

I’m a newly-made PoSI with no notability at all. Not hinting at anything! Just thought it was the right time to mention it:)[/quote]

I was just saying that you can’t give that point back to someone who gives it to you. Absolutely nothing wrong in asking for it in the first place. There is even a specific thread for it somewhere on the forum.

I’m a newly-made PoSI with no notability at all. Not hinting at anything! Just thought it was the right time to mention it:)[/quote]

I was just saying that you can’t give that point back to someone who gives it to you. Absolutely nothing wrong in asking for it in the first place. There is even a specific thread for it somewhere on the forum.[/quote]

Oh. I see. Thanks for mentioning that thread, I should have a look at it. I didn’t even know there was this kind of charity around.

That’s a relief then