Poll: Favorite Connection

We all love the various Denizens of London, but if you chould work for only one of them which whould you choose? Why?
edited by Jack Blackstone on 4/12/2012

I find the Rubbery Man connection card to be the most fun and well written, but my character is partial to Hell.

I chose Rubbery Men. They’re just so fascinating! And they seem so polite, unlike the other factions with their scheming and ulterior motives and brusque behavior.

An honorable mention goes to the Urchins. I feel pity for the poor things. They don’t deserve the hand that fate has dealt them, and they still retain some childlike innocence.

I also like Benthic, since I share many of their political and philosophical views.

Edit: Erm…looks like you have an extra T there. I also notice you didn’t include a U in “favourite”, though that’s not really a mistake. : p
edited by Little The on 4/12/2012

[quote=Little The]I chose Rubbery Men. They’re just so fascinating! And they seem so polite, unlike the other factions with their scheming and ulterior motives and brusque behavior.

An honorable mention goes to the Urchins. I feel pity for the poor things. They don’t deserve the hand that fate has dealt them, and they still retain some childlike innocence.

I also like Benthic, since I share many of their political and philosophical views.

Edit: Erm…looks like you have an extra T there. I also notice you didn’t include a U in “favourite”, though that’s not really a mistake. : p
edited by Little The on 4/12/2012[/quote]
I know. I really LOATH my spelling sometimes. Bleh.

Rubbery men, hands down. You can’t help but feel sorry for them, especially as you learn even more. They’re oppressed on all sides, and need someone to be there for them. In the same way, I’m partial to clay men, though they don’t have a connections rating.

Though, I also like Masters connections. Nothing says I can’t double dip, helping out the downtrodden AND working for The Man.

There is no doubt. I am a player in the game.

Dyed red in the blood of spies, sitting on my throne built on lies, and powerful ties. I may have connections elsewhere, and may help other groups, but I do it all for the game.

Certain self-superior elements of society may not approve, but I find myself drawn to Hell. Not literally, you understand - the halls and corridors of the Brass Embassy are quite warm enough for me. What I mean is that the devils and devilesses are most scintillating and inspiring company.

Honourable mentions are definitely deserved for the Rubberies and Clay Men. I suppose I am simply a fool for the exotic.

I think, perhaps, that a more interesting question might be “If the conflict cards were unique, one-time storylets, which choice would you pick definitively?”

Personally, I just can’t trust Hell. I mean, they steal peoples’ souls! Even though I’m not a religious man, I’m rather attached to mine (even if it is a bit…mangled by this point), and I cannot condone the stealing of other peoples’. I mean, what do they do with the souls? Eat them? Until I know more, I just can’t trust them. I am cautious of the Masters for the same reason.

I also generally disapprove of the Great Game. It feels so…cold. Even with the nature of death in the Neath, I can’t condone such high quantities of it, especially since it seems to only be benefiting a few… (You can probably guess what my final choice in the Cheesemonger storyline was)

P.S. Since Benthic/Summerset and Glass/Shroud are rather unique Connections, perhaps you could make a separate thread for them?
edited by Little The on 4/13/2012

You know, it was oddly the end of the Cheesemonger – which my character decided to handle with arguably excessive amounts of murder – that got me deeper into the Great Game. Sort of a “if you can’t beat them, join them” thing. The Orient is tantalizingly mysterious, and Connected: Hell is always entertaining. But I think most of all I have a soft spot for the Duchess.
edited by Early on 4/13/2012

I really wanted to be a true servant of the Widow but there just isn’t much content after spite and the Smuggler. I decided to work for hell because I sold my soul to them and they have plenty of story’s and secretes. Society however i cant stand. When i was forced to go to the Suttered Palace for persuasive content i hated kissing the feet of lords and ladies. With all the society I gained I smuggled legions and legions of Elderly Baronet to the Tomb Colonies!
edited by Jack Blackstone on 4/14/2012

Though Blue/Wesley Miller will NEVER admit the acquaintance, I’m thoroughly fond of the Great Game; I remember the ending of the Cheesemonger storyline as possibly the most intense and heartfelt I played in Fallen London, especially because SPOILER[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]it was then that Blue’s substantial pacifism and respect for life emerged. Somebody still remembers him dancing in the street, drunk with the joy of having ended the intrigue without anyone meeting his demise[/color]/SPOILER. A special mention for the Orient; I didn’t value it very much, and I had decided to little SPOILER [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]side with the Duchess in the Stiff Drink storyline, but in the end I realized the most righteous choice was to help the Widow, and in time I started to repsect her for her wisdom and cool-headedness[/color]/little SPOILER.

[quote=Little The]
P.S. Since Benthic/Summerset and Glass/Shroud are rather unique Connections, perhaps you could make a separate thread for them?
edited by Little The on 4/13/2012[/quote]
I was thinking about taking those factions out of the poll, but after you make a poll you can not edit it. Thats why it still has horrible spelling :(

Bohemians. The truth and beauty brigade for me.

Hyperbole aside on my prior post, Early nails it for me.

[quote=Early]You know, it was oddly the end of the Cheesemonger – which my character decided to handle with arguably excessive amounts of murder – that got me deeper into the Great Game.
edited by Early on 4/13/2012[/quote]

Honestly, deciding to fulfill the [color=#ffffff]Cheesemonger’s last request, poisoning, dagger throwing kill-killing spies and agents, not to mention the small mountain of people in the networks I shattered[/color], truly sealed it for me. I was in The Game, all in, and though it proved to be my last big move in The Game for some time, I was no longer just some person dabling in things bigger than them, I could not simply deny or lose those actions through time or poor choices, I had done something, amazing, and though it lasted only a short while, I knew, no one in The Game could deny my prowess, or skirt my name knowing what lengths I would take.

Ah yes, I agree. I should have given an honorable mention to them. Not including Benthic, they’re probably my third-favourite Connection.

Bohemians. Though my character has both an affinity and concern for the Urchins.

Criminals. No question. No matter what arbitrary barriers society places on me… er… I mean people to keep them downtrodden and numbered among the have-nots, crime will always provide opportunities to better your station and profit besides. Possibly even revenge should one simply have had enough oppression, but is disinclined to be the architect of a new world order.

That said, you really must admire the Revolutionaries. Creating a new society, especially when there is already a deeply entrenched one in it’s future place, requires a level of effort and commitment most members of society (and especially Society) will never even be able to comprehend, let alone achieve.
edited by Abraham Bounty on 4/14/2012

I’ve spent a great deal of time studying and speaking with devils and I have seen no evidence that they steal souls, per se. I myself am soulless, and not ashamed to admit it. I made a fair deal for it and do not regret its loss at all. Whatever the lovely devilless I sold it to is doing with it, it has not done me any harm.

Are you not concerned with the ‘freedom’ or ‘love’ tenets of their philosophy?