Play-testing "Heroic"

I played a bit. Seems like it has potential. However, I stopped when I ended up with a hand of cards I couldn’t play: Talk To A Scientist, with 4 Locked choices, You Need Information and Foil A Robbery, which I couldn’t even flip.

Wonder + Unearthy, that way you can still be effective in casual clothes. I hate spandax.
(can’t access the game much right now due to being in Thailand, sorry)

Child of Wonder + Wunderkind + To Find A Challenge. Because I think it could be interesting to explore a hero who does his heroing because he can.

A typo in the text for Wunderkind: “You Polarity Reverser should help you do all sorts. Open doors, decrypt computers, turn off machines and much more besides.”

Also, the action counter appears to be entirely inaccurate. Every time it reaches zero, it resets to 59 seconds without showing an action gained, but I seem to be able to draw cards once per minute anyhow.
edited by Jack Vaux-Harrowden on 8/1/2012

I know I promised new content, but I’ve lost my home internet due to some issue with the connection. Long story short, I won’t have it back until an engineer comes to fix it. I’ve nabbed a computer at a friends house long enough to sort the cards that it’s possible to not play or discard but aside from that I’m afraid I can’t add anything until my internet’s restored. Sorry guys! I’ll be back as soon as I can.

I picked Background: Child of Legacy, since it amused me to think of The Fox having to take in some kid and Power Source: Wunderkind because flying! Flying. Taunted me, that one. And Obsession: There’s a Conspiracy. I just like the idea of some gadget kid with special parents ruining everyone’s plans, including sometimes The Fox.

I was tempted to do Child of Circumstance, Guts and Gumption, and To Find a Challenge, but, well, there was no flying involved. It’s just more realistic.

Lovely beginning you have here - I’m quite impressed. Thanks for showing it to us.

Clever. I really like the impressionistic style you’ve got here, little repeatable chunks of content that give the sense of being a Hero without being tied to a big overarching plot. Very much in Fallen London’s vein. I will say, however, that some bigger story would do to hold the whole thing together.

I’ve got Child of Legacy, Wunderkind, There was a Murder (presumably the murder of my parents, which caused the Fox to take me in in the first place). The You Need Information card has no playable options for me at the moment, since I don’t yet have enough of either Feared or Watching. Luckily, I only have one of these, so it can stay in my hand while I play through other cards.

Hope your Internet access returns soon – this is looking good so far!

Child of Circumstance/Gear and Gumption/There’s A Conspiracy. It seemed the most pulp-y (for the first two), and the most open to an ongoing story (for the third). Not that I’m expecting any other Obsession to result in less of a story, that one just seems most associated with half a shelf of crumbly-at-the-edges dime novels. (I proceed to handwave vaguely in a Doc Savage/Spider/Shadow direction.)

ETA: Currently completely blocked–my hand is full and I can’t play or discard. (You Need To Rest/Laying Low/You Need Information.) Understand the home internet situation, though, and am happy to wait; just thought I should note the situation, I guess?

ETA2: Thank you! The 0 requirement option on You Need Information really helped. :D

L&c,
F
edited by Torrain on 8/6/2012
edited by Torrain on 8/6/2012

“The Golem Has A Hostage! -> Stand Between Yourself And The Child” I think that should be stand between the Golem etc.?

I’m back, with new content for y’all! Now the Challenge seekers amongst you can track down and defeat your very first Supervillian, the Toughest Tyrant in Trench City, the Gargantuan Gangster himself, The Golem!

…Probably anyway. I’m not getting any opp or pinned cards appearing for Heroic right now when I try to playtest it. This means I’ve sent it live without any playtesting, so let me know of any bugs, typos, missing text or balance issues.

P.S. This content includes uses for two of the allies, that Certain Captain can help you track down The Golem, but the Omnidisciplinarian will help you defeat him.

Alright, lovely, Heroic’s my favourite storynexus game (excluding Fallen London) at the moment, so I’m happy. I don’t have a Challenge obsession on my character, but I’ll note anything strange I see below.

1. There’s a card called ‘SUB’. All it has on it is ‘…’. It does allow you to get rid of it though, so I’ve done that. Note: Have seen ‘SUB’ card more than once, maybe three times in entire run through.
  2. Noticed the second option on the warehouse searching, but couldn’t use it.
  3. Also noticed the new option on needing info, which was nice. I’m…kinda stockpiling things and don’t want to waste them on this card.
  4. Laying Low shows up even when you don’t have ‘Rubbing People The Wrong Way’. Not sure if that’s a glitch or what.
  5. Spent all my actions (for now) and this was all I found.
    edited by crownoflaurel on 8/6/2012

[quote=crownoflaurel]Alright, lovely, Heroic’s my favourite storynexus game (excluding Fallen London) at the moment, so I’m happy. I’ll note anything strange I see below.

1. There’s a card called ‘SUB’. All it has on it is ‘…’. It does allow you to get rid of it though, so I’ve done that. Note: Have seen ‘SUB’ card more than once, maybe three times in entire run through.
  2. Noticed the second option on the warehouse searching, but couldn’t use it.
  3. Also noticed the new option on needing info, which was nice. I’m…kinda stockpiling things and don’t want to waste them on this card.
  4. Laying Low shows up even when you don’t have ‘Rubbing People The Wrong Way’. Not sure if that’s a glitch or what.
  5. Spent all my actions (for now) and this was all I found. Do I need an ally to play this?[/quote]
  1. Sorry, I forgot to mark that to not appear.
  2. The option to break in through the skylight requires the Grapnel Gun, and the brand new third option requires you to be Seeking The Golem.
  3. Seeing as there’s no discard option, I’m not able to set cards which require certain qualities/items to appear if those same qualities/items can be lost, as there’s the chance a player’s hand will become full of cards they can’t play.
  4. Storyline content is being (slowly) introduced. So far only the first section of Obsession: To Find A Challenge is live, with the first parts of other Obsessions to follow shortly.
    5a) Allies aren’t strictly required, but each will prove to be a big help in certain situations. Getting one is recommended.

I’m enjoying it (child of wonder, gear and gumption, there’s a conspiracy). A few points of feedback after an hour or so -

I was a bit frustrated that I didn’t have much control over improving my qualities - I wanted Brains to go with my Stealth and I got Brawn a lot. A Lot. I’d have been happier with a few more of these quality-building cards that gave me a bit of leeway on what to raise especialyl given i can’t just discard cards as I might in FL.

Likewise I’m finding “Foil a Robbery” a bit annoying. It gives me an aspiration, sure, to get my qualities up so I can take it out, but relying on the Fox to get rid of it makes me feel … powerless I guess. I’d be much more interested if it was a “Pinned” card until I beat it the first time (for example) or if there was an option other than what amounts to “give up and just chuck it.”

Oh and I really liked “How could she be the killer? She didn’t even know about the investment!” for no obvious reason.
edited by Ambrose Smith on 8/6/2012

[quote=Ambrose Smith]I’m enjoying it (child of wonder, gear and gumption, there’s a conspiracy). A few points of feedback after an hour or so -

I was a bit frustrated that I didn’t have much control over improving my qualities - I wanted Brains to go with my Stealth and I got Brawn a lot. A Lot. I’d have been happier with a few more of these quality-building cards that gave me a bit of leeway on what to raise especialyl given i can’t just discard cards as I might in FL.

Likewise I’m finding “Foil a Robbery” a bit annoying. It gives me an aspiration, sure, to get my qualities up so I can take it out, but relying on the Fox to get rid of it makes me feel … powerless I guess. I’d be much more interested if it was a “Pinned” card until I beat it the first time (for example)[/quote]

That’s an interesting idea, but it’d take me some time to test if it it’d work. I may change the text of that option and similar ones to something else, as The Fox shouldn’t seem like a Deus Ex Machina. I’ve been ruminating over possible alternatives for a while, trying to get a balance between capable, fledgling hero and a hero still learning their craft.

Also, cards that offer the ability to choose which stat to raise is going on the to-do list now.

It occurs to me that it’d sting less if that choice gave you a clue, for example - something to move you towards a state where you can try the more daring options. But I shall let it lie for now and go back tot rying to rewire the base.

Intriguing, but I’m really feeling the problem of the story being decided by the whims of the random number god. Burning through all my actions flipping cards just to find the one that will increase my story quality, but finding nothing but useless level 1 cards is quite annoying. This is compounded by the fact that I spent a lot of resources allying with the Certain Captain, whose help is completely random.

I think the game could benefit a bit from having more Always cards. Perhaps have an Always card that can be used to grind “Seeking the Golem” at a slow rate, and just have the relevant cards give more CP. That way, if you really want to get through the story, you can, but it’s worth it to wait for a card. Alternatively, perhaps recruiting a relevant ally could unlock a grindable Always card? Just something to make the story feel a bit more focused would be nice.

Edit: Oh, also, the “Finding Fame” card is still there even after starting the Golem quest.
edited by Little The on 8/6/2012

[quote=Little The]Intriguing, but I’m really feeling the problem of the story being decided by the whims of the random number god. Burning through all my actions flipping cards just to find the one that will increase my story quality, but finding nothing but useless level 1 cards is quite annoying. This is compounded by the fact that I spent a lot of resources allying with the Certain Captain, whose help is completely random.

I think the game could benefit a bit from having more Always cards. Perhaps have an Always card that can be used to grind “Seeking the Golem” at a slow rate, and just have the relevant cards give more CP. That way, if you really want to get through the story, you can, but it’s worth it to wait for a card. Alternatively, perhaps recruiting a relevant ally could unlock a grindable Always card? Just something to make the story feel a bit more focused would be nice.[/quote]

Another good idea. Still, having constant access to a grinding option has problems of its own. I do plan on adding additional grinding options for The Golem, and this is also very much a test run of how I should build all future story sections.

CalicoJack:
Do you still have the problem with not being able to see your content? If so, try fiddling with qualities in the Debug interface and see if that can help. Otherwise I’ll take a look.

Now I’ve removed all Qualities/items from my character it’s working again. Weird, as only certain parts should have been locked out at th stage my character was at.

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic867-world-of-the-season-competition.aspx

Just sayin’.