Piles and Piles of Second Chances

I’ve got a question for those at cap or nearly there: Are you guys flooded with Second Chance item like I was? I had over 200 Insights, and at least 60 of the others, without really trying. Only reason I don’t any more is because of my Search of a certain Name.

Pretty much, yes - over 200 Insights, over 100 Smiles and a small but respectable number of the other two. Not only are they no use nowadays, but they’re actually a liability, since if I’m going to fail any stat challenge, it’s because I deliberately lowered my stats in order to fail. The second chance actually makes things worse, since I’m less likely to get my desired result.

Same here. I have over 100 in all four, and this is after getting them destroyed from SMEN! Everything’s straightforward for me now, so I don’t really have a use for them.

Better to have them and not need them. They come in handy while playing chess on a slow boat.

Is there some more-effective source for these later on? I always find myself running out of sudden insights (Just got into the College, so between that and dealing with nightmares, they just head down into oblivion)

If you come across a Commotion in the Square of Lofty Words, you can gift those second chances to another person of your choosing.

Cheese: Just keep playing through the University and you’ll get piles of them. Only other way is to the get a red border card about having tea with some daughter.

I find playing chess with folks to be a fast way to earn them :)

Let’s see… 25 attack plans, 143 lessons, 337 insights, 535 smiles, 154 notes and 10 anticandles. I’ve asked this before, but does anyone out there still have a Listening Candle?

10 anticandles? I haven’t run across those before. How did you get them?

New Newgate, most likely. Am I correct?

The Museum of Mistakes, in this case.

If you can raise stats then they’re useful for taking Almost Impossible challenges to boost your stats and then using the Second Chance to do an easier level.

I’ve found it uses the action on your first try anyway, just doesn’t update the candle. Has this been fixed?

I’ve found it uses the action on your first try anyway, just doesn’t update the candle. Has this been fixed?[/quote]
This is not an error, it’s been changed a while ago. Now you have to use your second chance for the same option you tried first.

I wish there was a way to sell second chances. Or trade them in to a Relicker or something. I don’t even like them when they raise the stat caps these days because it makes me cap again too quickly.

And, as stated, they make it really frustrating when I’m trying to fail a challenge. It’s amazing how many times you can succeed at an almost impossible task when you get two chances at it every time.

[quote=amaresu]I wish there was a way to sell second chances. Or trade them in to a Relicker or something. I don’t even like them when they raise the stat caps these days because it makes me cap again too quickly.

And, as stated, they make it really frustrating when I’m trying to fail a challenge. It’s amazing how many times you can succeed at an almost impossible task when you get two chances at it every time.[/quote]

Well, there’s a bit of a long way to get rid of them: just find someplace with a repeatable action not bearing ill results on a failure (I think the grinding actions in Polythreme are all of this kind), and just camp there at Almost Impossible difficulty until you’re depleted.