Overgoat

Has anyone managed to buy one? If so is it worth it?

BRRRRAAAAAAARRRRRgh. Groogh.

Sure. Lots of us have. Be warned - it’s a long process of grinding for cash, best suited for when you’ve run out of anything else to do. Even then, it will take you many months.
Is it worth it? That’s up to you. It’s a +10 Watchful pet, and it’s a status symbol of sorts. There are times when having a high Watchful is good. This will help you immensely there. Then again, what else were you planning on doing with those twelve thousand Echoes?

[quote=travellersside]Sure. Lots of us have. Be warned - it’s a long process of grinding for cash, best suited for when you’ve run out of anything else to do. Even then, it will take you many months.
Is it worth it? That’s up to you. It’s a +10 Watchful pet, and it’s a status symbol of sorts. There are times when having a high Watchful is good. This will help you immensely there. Then again, what else were you planning on doing with those twelve thousand Echoes?[/quote]

I’ve been thinking of going through the long grinding process so I can complete my Pets collection. I really don’t have anything better to do right now. I think I’ll go for it. Thanks.

Well, I took the prices for the best gear you can buy in The Bazaar, taking care not to include items that are the best in their category for multiple attributes more than once. I then took the price of a Overgoat of my very own, and divided it by the prior number. I looked at the results, nodded to myself, then included the price of a Malevolent Monkey, which is a decent, if non-Overgoat, Watchful pet.

My findings are that you can buy every single piece of end game gear in The Bazaar except The Overgoat, as well as a Malevolent Monkey, and still spend less than half the price of an Overgoat.

So is it worth it? Absolutely.

Is it a high priority? Not even a little.

Is the Overgoat still cheaper than the Hesperidean Cider? My goodness, yes.

The only use for an Overgoat is when Putting to Zee - the challenge isn’t straightforward until Watchful 155! However there is no downside to failing the challenge, the reward is only worth 1 Echo, and you’ll only do this once in a blue moon.
So - no, not really worth getting, but what else are you going to do?

The Overgoat may also be quite useful in playing chess against the Boatman.
Personally, I want one just to be able to call mine the Overstreet Overgoat

I must point out that at least two of the relicker cards, and most likely all of them, have options that unlock at 150, 175, and 200. I do not know if it’s possible to reach these levels (save the 150), even with the Overgoat, but even if we can not, I am confident we will be able to eventually.

With the Overgoat, Semiotic Monocle, Ratwork Watch, Insatiable Glove, Morning Suit, and Mirror-Polished Shoes, you have a maximum Watchful bonus of +26. Since the cap is currently 130, that puts the Watchful 150 storylet (the Night-Whisper) well within reach, but sadly not the watchful 175 one (the Starstone Demark).

I for one am extremely curious to know if anyone has purchased the Overgoat. I find it funny to think of the practicality of it, this isn’t really that sort of game. Was it practical to gain access to every lodging including all three top tier ones? Of course not. But that’s just who I am.

The Overgoat has always fascinated me. Especially why such a magnificent beast is available at the bazaar. If I ever purchased the Overgoat, I would want to know if I was the first.

Far from it. Mr Overstreet started a directory for Overgoatherds here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic249-overgoated.aspx
I am in the process of grinding for an Overgoat myself. If I did 80 actions a day, I’d have the money in another 6 weeks, but I don’t have the time to play that much. Guess it’ll take till summer…

Why Thank you, that’s exactly what I was wondering. I still wonder how this is supposed to be in canon. I’m guessing it’s best not to think of, like how we’ve each experienced the same storylets, which imply exclusivity.

Or how some storylets get downright ridiculous with extended grinding on them, whether from the sheer amount of resources we’re getting out of an individual, or how the same folks react with surprise each time, or more bizarre circumstances like winding up with a million tattooed names of non-existant aunts.

When grinding for an overgoat, where is the best place to grind for cash? Is there a resource I should be consulting for this?

The situation’s fluid at the moment, as new content has come out and we haven’t had a chance to see it all yet. What are your stats and what’s open to you?

I’m at 130 across the board. I’ve got everything open, but I’ve been banned from Court and the University.

EDIT: I should note that A Sure Bet under Unfinished Business in Watchmaker’s Hill is 2 actions, but pays out 240 Jade, so 120/Action. It seems to be the best thing I’ve found on my own so far, that is kind of the ‘score to beat’ if you will.
edited by Jimmy Darwin O’Brien on 3/22/2012

You can do decently (or very well, depending on luck) if you use a Gang of Hoodlums to steal Terror or Infamy from the Flit and then convert them all the way up to Tier 5. The basic value of what you sell is fairly competitive, but it’s the rare bonuses that you’re really interested, as they can push the average up noticeably higher.
Alternatively, for something with a more reliable income (better minimum, but below the lucky maximum) stealing souls and then trading them in at Ladybones Road (Soul Trade - Spirifer) works nicely. Remember to also trade your connection bonus in for extra brass.
Hunter’s Keep is a good source of income. Not sure how much exactly, since it also depends on a rare, but if you spend a significant amount of time farming there (and if you’re chasing an Overgoat, that’s what you’ll be doing anyway), you’ll do pretty well.
Polythreme can be quite profitable if you know what you’re doing. You’ll need a high initial investment to be able to get your Progress up to 13 in first one stat and then the other - so if you’re there for cash, you’ll be spending a good while there, recouping that investment. Each time starting either Spying or Guidebook as relevant. Using these unlocked cards you can then choose a Progress type and spend the appropriate card to increase that Progress to 13 and spend it at the PoSI in ‘Spending your time’. All spare actions would be stealing silk or notions. Depending on your luck, you can get an excellent income. Or not.
For a safer Polythreme income, you can scale back to just using one card type to get to 8, then trading in using The Ruins or The Priest - you can do this twice per cycle. Or for a lower and far, far easier time of it - just use one card then trade in using The Market or The Temple - you can do this five times per cycle. Do take your time to look around and work out how the things operate first though.
There’s probably several others, but that’s a decent selection of options for you.

Edit: And yes, they all average over 1.2E/action
edited by travellersside on 3/22/2012

Do Tales of Terror/Journals of Infamy offer better rare-success upgrade bonuses than Brilliant Souls/Muscaria Brandy?

All items of the same tier give the same pence in value for success and rare success. So, tales of terror and brilliant souls give the same, as far as pence value.

I’m still playing the new material and grinding Mysteries for the Royal Bethlehem. Still, it is tempting… especially as they added those multi-action choices to ‘A Person of Some Importance’. Makes the grind a little less grudging.
EDIT: What’s the rate of Tales of Terror received in the Flit vs. actions spent grinding Casing? You can get 1:1 on Tales if you can beat the Loquacious Vicar’s Watchful challenge…
edited by ladymadsci on 3/24/2012