On the Selling of Souls

So after reading around on the forum a lot, I’ve come to the (slightly disappointed) conclusion that the best thing I can do to deal with the door-to-door devils constantly popping up in my opportunities deck is just to sell my soul. I don’t see Arensen as the sort of character who would let being soulless obstruct his ascent to power. However, this leaves me with an interesting problem. How best should I go about it? I’m currently torn between just selling it straight to the Quiet Deviless, or continuing to try to negotiate and see how long I can go on without losing it, just for fun. I haven’t looked up the actual payment for selling my soul, so if anyone has any advice, that would be appreciated.

(And if anyone knows whether something truly terrible happens to me for being soulless, that would be nice too.)

Well, there is another solution you may not prefer: if you are intimate of devils 0 and Hell: 0 they’ll never bother you about it.

Ah, I had heard about that method instead, but that will actually require significantly more actions to take for what I see as rather minimal advantage (unless a soul actually does anything that is mechanically important later on).

The only way I think you could get more for your soul would be to wait to sell it either at Hallowmas or Sacksmas.

Also for the normal route, selling it to the Affectionate Devil rather than the Quiet Deviless as you plan gets you some very rare Devilbone dice but less jewels and no dark-dewed cherries.

As for a mechanical disadvantage of being souless the only I can think of is that the snobs at Summerset won’t let you into their parties at the University, but then why would you want to? (Go team Benthic!!)

edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 2/19/2016

I may be wrong, but isn’t it the case that if you sell to a random devil (say “what profit” or Hallowmas) and then find your soul again, you’ll have to deal with the intimate plotline again, whereas if you sell to the quiet or affectionate devils you never have to talk to them again?

That is correct, although I would suggest thinking of it as &quotyou’ll be locked out of the intimate plotline.&quot You can keep the intimate devils from wooing you again in a number of ways; only one ks permanent; and since there are some interesting advantages to remaining in contact with them, a power-hungrh sort might want to keep them on a long leash rather than severing ties permanently.

Oh, and the &quotwhat profit?&quot sale is also more profitable than selling to the intimate devils, I believe, but is only available – year-round, via a City Vices card – to those who’ve paid Fate to dabble in the Soul Trade themselves, on one side or the other.
edited by metasynthie on 2/19/2016

[quote=Charlotte_de_Witte]The only way I think you could get more for your soul would be to wait to sell it either at Hallowmas or Sacksmas.

Also for the normal route, selling it to the Affection Devil rather than the Quiet Deviless as you plan gets you some very rare Devilbone dice but less jewels and no dark-dewed cherries.

As for a mechanical disadvantage of being souless the only I can think of is that the snobs at Summerset won’t let you into their parties at the University, but then why would you want to? (Go team Benthic!!)

edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 2/19/2016[/quote]

Am, I am slightly disappointed that I missed my opportunity to sell it at Sacksmas then for said higher price. I don’t really see a need for Devilbone dice (after all, I do have one from the Random Number Generator’s Sacksmas gift). And Summerset can go jump in a well, those pretentious snobs!

I am interested in ‘interesting advantages’, naturally, although I’m not sure what they are, or whether or not they’ll outweigh the advantage of having them finally out of my opportunity deck for good. I’m faintly hesitant to look up the wiki, just because it sort of ruins the nature of Fallen London, but maybe I’ll make an exception for this event.
edited by Arensen on 2/19/2016

In my experience they’re interesting as an easy source of Hedonist, Austere, and Scandal, with some of the few quirk options in those categories that go up to 10 and one of the only Hedonist sources (Fate-locked but cheap) that goes up to 15. I currently have them out of my deck from selling my soul – but to a random devil. Having access to a random devil year-round is another reason to pay Fate for the Soul Trade story, which has other uses as well.

Just to confirm one more time, you’re saying that if i sell my soul through the intimate of devils cards, they will go away permanantly and never trouble me again? even if i get it back later?

which advantages are those? The only thing i’m aware of is an extra option on one of the feast of the rose cards
edited by Nanako on 2/19/2016

Re: advantages, see my last post, directly above yours. There are some other story choices smattered here and there. Newspaper staff, some Exceptional Story &quotask your contacts&quot stuff, and of course getting the Companion versions of the two Intimate Devils.

As for whether the intimate devils go away permanently – based on past discussions and looking at the qualities involved, yes. Selling your soul to an intimate devil sets the Intimate with Devils quality to 20 – and there’s no way to lower it after that. When that quality’s at 20, you will not draw any Intimate with Devils cards.

Other soul sales will keep the intimate with devils cards from showing up (except for the &quotA letter arrives&quot card, which sets the quality to 0) until you get your soul back.
edited by metasynthie on 2/19/2016

Selling my soul to them sets Intimate of devils permanantly to 20, right?

From what i can see purchasing the green eyed devil or the quiet deviless at the brass embassy guest room, or purchasing the quiet deviless at An Encounter at the feast (but not the green eyed devil, oddly) requires An Intimate of Devils to be at least 10, not exactly 10.

So if it’s permanantly set to 20, those options would still be available, right?

Ah, yes! You’re correct about that.

I’m thinking about selling my soul, too, but for roleplaying purposes - my character killed a man, and not having a conscience seems the easier way to deal with guilt.
However, other suggestions are welcome! For example, what about deleting my connections to Hell and going to the Church instead? Would it unlock interesting storylets?