On the Seizure of Ships: Piracy, and Privateering

This is actually a really good and well thought-out idea that deserves it’s own thread.

Also, being able to capture ships and make them your own would probably solve one of the biggest problems this game has.
edited by TheD3rp on 7/15/2015

We need this! Even as a new player who wasn’t involved in Early Access, I’ve noticed the lack of ability to capture ships and sell them. I’ve also noticed the piracy options in Gaider’s Mourn that seemed (and are now confirmed to be) impossible to accomplish. Also, the single best ship salvage table in the game (Glorious Dreadnoughts emptied of crew instead of sunk) is completely off-limits, instead making the toughest ship in the game -not- the best to fight for loot. (1-40 on the table vs 1-50 for normal Dreadnoughts, and 40-50 for the impossible crew-destroyed version of Glorious Dreadnoughts. :( )

Seriously, it’s time, guys! The way MisterGone designed it doesn’t sound all that hard to implement, wouldn’t add much complexity to the game’s coding, wouldn’t add -any- performance hit that I can fathom, and would add tremendously to the depth and strategy of the game, which as it stands is like a pretty good interactive book that’s worth reading four or five times, and then done.

Make it a DLC! I’ll pay for it, and I’m sure many, many others will as well. Call it &quotZee Pirates!&quot or &quotPirates of the Low Zee&quot or &quotPirates and Privateers of the Unterzee&quot or something. It’d be awesome! And significantly easier to implement than the Zubmariner stuff, and… honestly probably adding more to the game in terms of gameplay (if not in terms of story, of course).

Pleeease?
edited by Firro on 12/21/2016

I don’t have the time to read you all guys now, but you definitely have raised some interesting points here.

I have already dabbled with the code about boarding and found several things.
In short, you need to bring the enemy crew to 0 in order to trigger the boarding event. You then have the choice to seize the ship and send it with a prize crew back in london if it was a pirate ship or to Gaider’s if it was a civilian ship (you see those little neutral caligo vessels?). Or you may loot and scuttle the ship, wich gives you loot. Basically.

Since I was curious about this, and wanted to experience it, I decided to make a mod including new weapons and reworking the boarding juuuust a bit to make it worth your time.
I chose to stick really close to the way Failbetter intended the boarding, but it might be really interesting getting more in depth :)

(Should you be interested in the mod: Ultima Ratio Regum at Sunless Sea Nexus - Mods and community? )

[quote=Machallan]I don’t have the time to read you all guys now, but you definitely have raised some interesting points here.

I have already dabbled with the code about boarding and found several things.
In short, you need to bring the enemy crew to 0 in order to trigger the boarding event. You then have the choice to seize the ship and send it with a prize crew back in london if it was a pirate ship or to Gaider’s if it was a civilian ship (you see those little neutral caligo vessels?). Or you may loot and scuttle the ship, wich gives you loot. Basically.

Since I was curious about this, and wanted to experience it, I decided to make a mod including new weapons and reworking the boarding juuuust a bit to make it worth your time.
I chose to stick really close to the way Failbetter intended the boarding, but it might be really interesting getting more in depth :)

(Should you be interested in the mod: Ultima Ratio Regum at Sunless Sea Nexus - Mods and community? )[/quote]

Very cool! I like a lot of the changes you made, especially the fuel cost of the crew destroying weapon. Very cool.

Still almost impossible to de-crew a Glorious Dreadnought with even moderately high Iron though, unfortunately. Even in the mid-80’s (pretty low considering I’m in a Dreadnought myself) it’s a matter of luck with the RNG. Any chance you can make a version that does 0 hull and like… 10 crew? Reasoning that a glowing golden dreadnought probably isn’t very susceptible to fire? It’ll still wind up doing hull damage just because of the iron score, but it’ll make it much easier to do with middling iron, and… maybe barely possible with high iron.

Thanks for the feedback :) I’ve also created a dedicated topic here in the forums if you wish to elaborate :)

Now, I’m not specifically planning to add a gun doing 0 hull and 10 crew, BUT I have some other projects, regarding ship equipments and more exotic weapons. So maybe one day ;)

maybe a rebalancing of existing flensing weapons would be preferable to adding in a new weapon? reducing the hull damage to a minimum while upping the range of the crew damage; it’d mean they would be less useful against zee monsters, but that might be a “sacrifice” that’s worth making

Now, I’m not sure if this should be reported as a bug or not, but it’s topical for this thread. I did manage to kill all the crew of a ship without destroying the hull in the Zubmariner expansion. When I did so, I was dropped out of combat and the ship in question (Putterpony? I think. Tiny Khanate zubmarine. 120 hull, 8 crew, if I recall. I killed it with the Memento Mori, which does 4 crew damage) went dead. It stopped moving, lights turned off, stopped shooting at me. There was no event triggered (I rammed it several times). It just sat there, bugged out. I could click on it to target it, which took me back into combat, and I could keep shooting at it, but it did no apparent damage no matter how many times I shot it and it did not sink. I don’t recall whether there was a health bar or not.[li]

They probably forgot about it while they were making the DLC, you should probably report this as a bug.
[/li]