On The Matter Of Regaining/Selling One's Soul

Okay, so recently, regaining one’s soul from urchins became impossible, though apparently it IS still possible to gain from boxes. I was wondering something.

The CVR stuff, effectivly, is locked off by the fate story A Trade In Souls. And the only other guaranteed way to get one’'s soul is also fate locked. The point I am trying to make here, is that for either one to occur Failbetter gets money. This is important.

What I was thinking is that it would be cool if those who have a Sheperd’s Timepeice from the story could restore other player’s souls. The player without a soul could offer something (not sure what) as payment, while the timepeice owner could get a option to restore the player’s soul via resources for said payment. The CVR person gets a little profit and the poor soul gets their soul back.

Of course, where there are soul restorers, there are also sprifers.

it would only be fair that those who chose the path of sprifage get a simlar option. If there is a person out there who wishes to sell their soul to the sprifer for some reason - maybe they want instant money, maybe they are burdened by it, maybe it’s stained and the devils on the card won’t touch it - they can sell it to the sprifer for a item and the spifer of course gets a valuable soul.

Now I’m not sure how to balance this, I’ll leave that up to you guys. I’m just curious if you think it cool. But keep in mind, getting one’s soul is supposed to be hard and chancy, so I’m not sure if it works.

Interesting.

Personally, I don’t see any problem at all with there being a Fate requirement to get one’s Soul back. It is, after all, completely optional to sell it.

Also, bear in mind that FBG have so far not implemented any player-to-player commerce mechanics, despite there being several places where from a story point of view it might work really well. There are obvious reasons they might have chosen to leave them out, with the potential for alt abuse being one.

My hunch is that an alternative non-Fate way to recover one’s Soul will become available, if it is not already. Perhaps it’s simply that the bundle of oddities range from the Fisher Kings will be increased, or perhaps there will be a rebalancing similar to the Blemmigan Secretary one - so that a Soul can be obtained from any Bundle anywhere in London, but it becomes much less likely.

By the way, all of this is on the assumption that the Fisher Kings option is in fact now impossible, which as far as I am aware hasn’t been confirmed. My alt got his Soul back from them on Tuesday.

In fact, having read another post, it seems that the Bundle of Oddities option is still in play. And also looks unlikely that an alternative mechanic of the kind you were talking about will be introduced.

[quote=Flyte][color=rgb(194, 178, 128)] Soul retrieval is meant to be chancy and difficult at best; it was problematic that serial soul-selling was both quite straightforward and an anomalously profitable grind.

It is, by the way, still possible to find one’s soul in a Bundle of Oddities.[/color][/quote]

May I ask what the change is?

Apparently your soul isn’t guaranteed to be in the 100 value Bundle of Oddities anymore; which value it is in or if it is a matter of luck we don’t know.

It appears that it is no longer as easy as it was to regain your Soul via Bundles of Oddities via Fun with the Fisher Kings. I mean, I say easy but it was something like 0.5% I believe.

Similar to the Blemmigan thing - I gather that you can still obtain your Soul from Bundles, but there is now no point in grinding Bundles in the Flit because of the rebalancing of the position of the Soul in the range.

My guess is that it’s still on a special number. I guess there’s not that much help in adding numbers if I have a soul?

Probably not, unless you see something turn up with different effects than what’s been already recorded or an ‘unlocked with Your Very Own Infernal Contract no more than zero’

I’ve gotten my Soul back from One’s Public.

Oooh, awesome. I’ve been trying that one just on the off chance it would provide a soul, and it’s nice to hear that it does.

Yeah, but that was from a fan who just wanted you to sign it. They were rather put out that you kept the bloody thing.

(Gawd, that’s a weird image, isn’t it? &quotOh, yeah, I’m a huge fan of theirs! I’ve got posters for all their shows, and a first edition of their book, and their immortal soul which I keep in a jar in the pantry!&quot)

And can you imagine where they got it?
They’re walking around the Bazaar, just looking at stuff and there, on the bargain table, is the soul of their favorite author.
The disinterested clerk say &quotWho? Never herd of him. All souls 50 pence. Take it or leave it.&quot

And can you imagine where they got it?
They’re walking around the Bazaar, just looking at stuff and there, on the bargain table, is the soul of their favorite author.
The disinterested clerk say &quotWho? Never herd of him. All souls 50 pence. Take it or leave it.&quot[/quote]
And meanwhile, some devil is freshly back from the dead, after an encounter with the nastier sort of thief. the devil is frantically searching for his collection of notable souls, trying to track down the thief to get it back! it was indexed and cataloged with the contracts and everything! A small fortune, lost. why did he ever take that shortcut?
edited by Grenem on 3/4/2015

I’m not sure devils can actually die though :P

When was this? Because if it was before they moved it then…
edited by WormApotheote on 3/4/2015

[quote=WormApotheote]I’m not sure devils can actually die though :P

When was this? Because if it was before they moved it then…
edited by WormApotheote on 3/4/2015[/quote]
I presume that, like the other inhabitants of the city, even if you cannot kill them, having a few bullets to the brain, or a blade to the throat, or being cut into tiny peices disables them. if not, well, my mistake. though it would explain all the soul recovery you keep managing.
edited by Grenem on 3/4/2015

The echo in the journal is dated March 3rd, so it was after the change. :)

I was wondering what you all thought of the idea personally.