On making money and safe items

Hi![li]

I’m trying to get back into game, but i have a few questions, mostly related to echo-making :)

1. I heard a lot about how the Velocipede squad, or Hunter’s Keep, are excellent ways to make money. But how exactly? No one seems to put it into detail, as if it was assumed anyone would understand.

2. I’m a huge hoarder of items, &quotjust in case&quot. Are there &quotsafe-to-sell&quot items? (that won’t close the gate to a future story) What about the more unique ones, like the &quotReported Location of a Prince of Hell&quot, or the &quotVenge-rat corpse&quot or even &quotTears of the Bazaar&quot? And what about minor items, which ones are easily farmed, so they can be safely sold?

From a former magnificent gentleman trying to get on his feet, much appreciated.

Anything you can easily get is safe to sell. For instance, you can play through a round of the Affair of the Box to get 8 Mourning Candles. You’ll always be able to get more, so you’re free to sell them for 20 echoes. Other items, such as Elemental Secrets and Dreadful Surmises, are much more difficult to acquire and should be hoarded for potential future use.

I basically agree with this. With a word of caution though - the work-in-progress nature of Fallen London means that established means of grinding items could be either modified or closed in the future. It is by no means a common circumstance, but it happens, sometimes to fix a possible exploitation, sometimes for design reasons. Example: the Cave of Nadir os until recently a relatively reliable (and lucrative) source of Tears of the Bazaar; not anymore.

Other chances could close due to player character’s behaviour - example: the Velocipede Squad carousel could close if the player vharacter makes a particular (Fate-Locked) choice.

So: feel free to sell items you have access to, but I’d suggest to always keep a stash of them, and just sell the excess. About Mourning Candles for example, I sell them aplenty, but I try to always keep a reserve of 50.

To answer this first question, you should check out this excellent thread by Urthdigger:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic804-an-indepth-look-at-money-options.aspx

The first post explains (among many other things) the Velocipede Squad carousel, and you’ll find on the thread’s 3rd page a most detailed post by Corran on how to make a profit on Hunter’s Keep.

What’s available and effective varies by your stat levels. There’s more written about PoSI and maxed-stat strategies, than there is about low- level farming. If you have never opened the Cave of the Nadir, then I recommend doing so, for the initial reward, regardless of the option to return.

I already opened the Cave of the Nadir, that’s where i got the “Reported Location of a One-Time Prince of Hell” that i’m still not sure if i should sell.

I’m not capped (SMEN does not help with that, but no complains!) but i’m pretty advanced in most storylines.

[quote=Tarod]I already opened the Cave of the Nadir, that’s where i got the &quotReported Location of a One-Time Prince of Hell&quot that i’m still not sure if i should sell.

I’m not capped (SMEN does not help with that, but no complains!) but i’m pretty advanced in most storylines.[/quote]

I’d suggest not to sell it yet, unless you’re absolutely starved for quick money. It can give you access to a Sanctum in the Brass Embassy if you don’t have one already, and it might have other uses in the future.