On Elections and Alts

I am one person in RL and on the forum but I am not only one person in Fallen London. The other characters I play feel as real to me as Ciel. To be honest she wasn’t my first Fallen London character just the one I chose to represent myself on the forum. So I don’t even count her as my main as I don’t have a main character.

To me all my characters are all valid characters in their own right and it is entirely possible that their votes will cancel each other out. There is also a possibility that not all of them will bother to vote. It is too soon to say, as I will play them in character and it will depend on the election campaign itself before any decisions are made.

[quote=lady ciel ]
Where does the idea that alts might matter less than having one character or that people who have alts might not be spending RL money on them.

I don’t think using Fate (unless there is a Fate-locked option during the election) or Exceptional Friendship should make a difference. There are many people who play only one character without spending RL money and people who pay for all their characters. It all depends on personal circumstances and how much money anyone is willing (or can afford) to spend on Fallen London.[/quote]
There will almost certainly be Fate-locked options during the election. There are Fate-locked options during every London festival, right? During Sacksmas there are storylines which requires Fate. During the Feast of the Exceptional Rose there are items and companions that require Fate. Festivals are a nice source of income (and fair enough, Failbetter needs to keep the lights on and underwrite further content).

The election’s not going to be one character, one vote. You’re going to be campaigning and your campaigning options will arrive via an opportunity card, similar to the Lady in Lilac card during the Feast of the Exceptional Rose. Your campaigning will no doubt earn the chosen candidate a certain value (Jovial Contrarian 10: You have won a few votes for the Jovial Contrarian). The more campaigning, the higher this value will be (Jovial Contrarian 100: Crowds pack the theater to hear your speeches supporting the Jovial Contrarian). At the end of the election, all these values from across the player base will be totaled up and the candidate with the highest total will get the most votes and therefore win the election.

Everyone will be able to campaign, but there will probably be Fate-locked options that allow for better campaigning, whether in the form of higher value increases (story lines that give special rewards) or a cap on how much value your character can win for your candidate without Fate (similar to how Masking is capped during the Feast). So the portion of players willing to pay Fate will probably matter more than the number of dishonorably used alts.

I think it is more likely what campaigning you does will affect your own bubble, and nobody else.

Or, if it is really a multiplayer thing, the Fate options are probably more &quotlet’s get more insight or goodies&quot and less &quotyou get a bigger vote&quot. It is a very dangerous path to tread, since that’s like pitting players wallets against each other.

[quote=Anne Auclair][quote=lady ciel ]

I don’t think using Fate (unless there is a Fate-locked option during the election) or Exceptional Friendship should make a difference. There are many people who play only one character without spending RL money and people who pay for all their characters. It all depends on personal circumstances and how much money anyone is willing (or can afford) to spend on Fallen London.[/quote]
There will almost certainly be Fate-locked options during the election. There are Fate-locked options during every London festival, right? During Sacksmas there are storylines which requires Fate. During the Feast of the Exceptional Rose there are items and companions that require Fate. Festivals are a nice source of income (and fair enough, Failbetter needs to keep the lights on and underwrite further content).

The election’s not going to be one character, one vote. You’re going to be campaigning and your campaigning options will arrive via an opportunity card, similar to the Lady in Lilac card during the Feast of the Exceptional Rose. Your campaigning will no doubt earn the chosen candidate a certain value (Jovial Contrarian 10: You have won a few votes for the Jovial Contrarian). The more campaigning, the higher this value will be (Jovial Contrarian 100: Crowds pack the theater to hear your speeches supporting the Jovial Contrarian). At the end of the election, all these values from across the player base will be totaled up and the candidate with the highest total will get the most votes and therefore win the election.

Everyone will be able to campaign, but there will probably be Fate-locked options that allow for better campaigning, whether in the form of higher value increases (story lines that give special rewards) or a cap on how much value your character can win for your candidate without Fate (similar to how Masking is capped during the Feast). So the portion of players willing to pay Fate will probably matter more than the number of dishonorably used alts.[/quote]
wait, is this your guess- because this does sound like a good one- or from something actually dev-confirmed? I mean, campaigning does sound more balanced than just &quoteveryone gets a vote&quot, and you can make a case that then best practices would be to avoid serious campaigning on more than one account supporting the same individual, but for all we know it’s a straightforward vote.

Most of the time, the point of a festival isn’t capped- hallowmas might have had fate-locked options, but they didn’t help you gather Spirit. Christmas’ Taste of Lacre is only slightly inferior without fate, [in fact, wealthy free players have better options for getting ToL than poor fate players] and so on. You should get goodies but not a superior option for paying fate. Moreso since this is a competition.

If it were just your bubble, there would be no need to announce which candidate was ahead.

You’re probably right. Maybe paying fate will give you a special story where you find out the secrets behind the campaigns. Any fate-options that increases a candidates support will probably give you the same vote as a non-fate alternative, only with better story. That would make fate irrelevant as a factor.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/3/2016

The campaigning aspect was announced two weeks ago on their tumblr:

Good point, it will likely follow the Hallowmas or Christmas model then. Thinking a bit more about it, it would be a bad idea to have a community wide event and then divide the player base like that.

Still, fate will have a small role. Players who pay fate to refresh their opportunity decks will probably get more election cards and hence will have a slight advantage over free players and in a way this will balance out any misuse of alternative accounts. Or, you know, those lucky players the RNG is really fond of.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/3/2016

If it were just your bubble, there would be no need to announce which candidate was ahead.[/quote]
In my humble opinion Estelle does live in her own bubble, yes.;)
edited by Morkan Kassington on 7/3/2016

[quote=Anne Auclair]

Good point, it will likely follow the Hallowmas or Christmas model then. Thinking a bit more about it, it would be a bad idea to have a community wide event and then divide the player base like that.

Still, fate will have a small role. Players who pay fate to refresh their opportunity decks will probably get more election cards and hence will have a slight advantage over free players and in a way this will balance out any misuse of alternative accounts. Or, you know, those lucky players the RNG is really fond of.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/3/2016[/quote]
Yeah, but you’d need a small fortune to make up for being active. every hour, i’m getting a number of cards that you’d need to spend… 75 cents of fate on. not that much, until you realize one alt means, for someone like me, i get an advantage equivalent to 48 fate every day.

Also, People who’re more dedicated might get more cards by using a quick loop [you know, the card doublers]- for 3-4 bonus cards. [5-7 for EF]. it’s not cheap or exceptionally viable, but it is an option.

also, I missed that, or forgot about that. Hopefully there’s some non-card actions unrelated to campaigning as well, though i’ll be fine either way.
edited by Grenem on 7/3/2016

shrugs We’ll find out tomorrow.

Does anyone know when the devs usually update?

Question answered. Fate can be used to make cards appear faster, switch careers/candidates, or help friends. You can also buy special items. All in all, I think this is a good system.