October's Exceptional Story: The Stone Guest

From what I understand, it’s just a matter of whether you do, in fact, get to tell him &quotI told you so&quot later. Whether you warned him about separating the composer from his beloved. It’s for a minor thing later in the story, and as someone who’s done it, there’s not much of a point to it.

I wasn’t certain about it until the end, when I saw how the choices made at each stage affected the final film, and how the NPCs reacted to it. I liked that very much - I felt it made the story come together in a way that last month’s didn’t.

I was annoyed that Tanith missed her own cameo appearance because she was shushing someone at the time! A realistic annoyance, perhaps, but a real shame since we can’t repeat the content. (Oh, I could wait and pay Fate to do so, but it’s not worth it just for a scene or two that I missed.)

I agree that the picture of the Assured Filmmaker was distractingly odd. Is her Amused Assistant the first ambiguously-gendered NPC we’ve seen? (I mean, the first ambiguously-gendered NPC we’ve seen who seems to be a human going about an ordinary life.)

It seemed like there were more typos than usual in this ES. Still, I think it’s one of the better ones.

I don’t know why everyone thinks the Filmmaker looks so strange? She looks perfectly normal to me. In fact, I think I know someone who looks very similar.[li]

[quote=Reused NPC]
From what I understand, it’s just a matter of whether you do, in fact, get to tell him &quotI told you so&quot later. Whether you warned him about separating the composer from his beloved. It’s for a minor thing later in the story, and as someone who’s done it, there’s not much of a point to it.[/quote]
Ah, thank you. Would you rather have not done it? I’m a bit torn, as art should come first, but the composer’s orders seem quite harsh for the music &quotnot sounding right&quot.

[quote=ExceptionallyDelicious][quote=Reused NPC]
From what I understand, it’s just a matter of whether you do, in fact, get to tell him &quotI told you so&quot later. Whether you warned him about separating the composer from his beloved. It’s for a minor thing later in the story, and as someone who’s done it, there’s not much of a point to it.[/quote]
Ah, thank you. Would you rather have not done it? I’m a bit torn, as art should come first, but the composer’s orders seem quite harsh for the music &quotnot sounding right&quot.[/quote]
Don’t get me wrong, there’s no downside. It’s just kinda pointless. And somewhat insensitive, if you ask me.

I really enjoyed this story, especially getting to watch the film at the end. I did see the whole thing, because I figured the other options made you miss stuff.

I also appreciate that you can boost your renown, but I’m not sure if ~62 echos was worth the 10cp of renown you get. I would have picked that option regardless, and I really wasn’t expecting much of anything, but it definitely did feel like a sacrifice.
edited by Captain Kaladin on 9/28/2017

I’m tempted to stop midway through. The reason? The deal involving the Grand Hunt (real or fake). You can buy a fake Hunt with a Brilliant Soul–but my character is a Shepherd, and barring one occasion involving her Nemesis (which she still is tormented about), absolutely refuses to give souls to devils. On the other hand, she doesn’t regard a real Hunt as an acceptable risk, either–for herself or for anyone else.

And there are no other options. She can’t walk out on the devil. She can’t say, “Absolutely not!” to the Impresario. It seems that the only way for me to remain in character is not to play.

[quote=Rhysdux]I’m tempted to stop midway through. The reason? The deal involving the Grand Hunt (real or fake). You can buy a fake Hunt with a Brilliant Soul–but my character is a Shepherd, and barring one occasion involving her Nemesis (which she still is tormented about), absolutely refuses to give souls to devils. On the other hand, she doesn’t regard a real Hunt as an acceptable risk, either–for herself or for anyone else.

And there are no other options. She can’t walk out on the devil. She can’t say, &quotAbsolutely not!&quot to the Impresario. It seems that the only way for me to remain in character is not to play.[/quote]

I say go with the real hunt. Your character is using the opportunity to expose Hell’s savagery to the masses… and you get to shoot a devil or two for good measure~!

[quote=Rhysdux]I’m tempted to stop midway through. The reason? The deal involving the Grand Hunt (real or fake). You can buy a fake Hunt with a Brilliant Soul–but my character is a Shepherd, and barring one occasion involving her Nemesis (which she still is tormented about), absolutely refuses to give souls to devils. On the other hand, she doesn’t regard a real Hunt as an acceptable risk, either–for herself or for anyone else.

And there are no other options. She can’t walk out on the devil. She can’t say, &quotAbsolutely not!&quot to the Impresario. It seems that the only way for me to remain in character is not to play.[/quote]
You could do a real hunt and spend quite a bit of time shooting devils in the face, if you fancy. It will most likely result in little if any bodily harm to the actors, and it’s (probably) quite satisfying to shoot devils every now and again for a good cause.

Had the same issue. Letting people die versus letting one soul go, especially as a shepherd.
I admit the story… scared me a bit. With the art nouveau theme of the fan art contest and Sunless Skies afoot… is FL going to change its mood from Victorian to turn of the century? Or is it just the season and the timing?
edited by Jolanda Swan on 9/29/2017

To be the first person in the world to shoot a devil on camera!

Don’t look at me like that, it’ll like a safari!

Update: It was exactly like a safari. Amazing. Being hunted in a Grand Hunt is an experience I would recommend to everyone.

Addis: 1 Hell: -3 devils
edited by Addis Rook on 9/29/2017

Hahahaha! Die, embassy scum, die! This is fun. Lionel Anchovies strongly recommends the real hunt. Bring your best firearms.

Not finished with the story yet, so feedback shall come later. For now, I relish the opportunity to gun down some of the devils who plague our fair city. Who’s being hunted now? This is what you get when you tangle with a Shattering Force!

I have encountered two typos.

[spoiler]The first lines of the result text from &quotFilm the devils chasing Don Juan&quot:

[quote]The devils are marvelously athletic. But is no surprise, is it?[/quote]Unless Fallen London is now narrated by the Turkish Girl (which would not necessarily be objectionable), I believe the second sentence is missing a word after &quotbut&quot.

The last lines of the result text from &quotFilm the finale&quot:

Actually… during the staged hunt, I had an opportunity to shoot a devil in the face regardless of the fact that it was STAGED. Has anybody else done this? Do they get really angry about it and turn it into a real hunt?

Asides from the numerous spelling errors I found that the story was fairly enjoyable. I know a lot of people aren’t too fond of linear but it felt appropriate.

I didn’t have the heart to say “I told you so”, would someone that has echoed it be able to share it with me?

[quote=Blaine Davidson]Asides from the numerous spelling errors I found that the story was fairly enjoyable. I know a lot of people aren’t too fond of linear but it felt appropriate.

I didn’t have the heart to say &quotI told you so&quot, would someone that has echoed it be able to share it with me?[/quote]

Here: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hieronymus%20Drake?fromEchoId=12565564

It’s realistically unsatisfying.

Shooting devils, on the other hand, was quite satisfying.

[quote=Jolanda Swan]Had the same issue. Letting people die versus letting one soul go, especially as a shepherd.
I admit the story… scared me a bit. With the art nouveau theme of the fan art contest and Sunless Skies afoot… is FL going to change its mood from Victorian to turn of the century? Or is it just the season and the timing?
edited by Jolanda Swan on 9/29/2017[/quote]

Perhaps it is both! It is 1895 now in Fallen London, and even in the Neath, time does not stand still.

What a wonderful story!

Just like last month, when I squeed at the opportunity to find something out about the legal system and about lawyers in the Neath, this time I had the same reaction about Filmmaking. And I was not disappointed.

Every choice mattered in the end and I always found an option that perfectly suited my character.

My choices:

[spoiler]1. I did the Debauch the Filmmaker’s way,
2. I did the safe hunt and did not shoot.
3. I advised the Magician to work with the Filmmaker on the final illusion.

I believe this resulted in Veteran Privy Counsellor liking the film while Feducci did not.[/spoiler]

I also found the reward quite refreshing. Instead of some fancy pants item, you get the money on hand and either you keep it, or you don’t. Not sure if you get anything instead of the money if you don’t keep it, cause I did not go that route.

An excellent instalment in what feels like a &quotsmaller scale&quot season, which I would like to stress is not a flaw and a great change of pace .

I would also like to stress how much I liked the art. The Filmmaker’s portrait especially. I know Robin Alexander found it unsettling and weird, but to me it just felt…most alive out of any art I’ve probably seen. I loved it. I wish that was the promo picture for the story, honestly.

Though about the actual promo picture…it of course is also excellent and I would like to point out that we now have an old man with a man bun canonically in our midst . Take a good look at the picture and tell me you don’t see it!

Just a side note: FBG, GIVE YOUR PROOF-READER(S) A VACATION! They clearly need it :P
edited by Lallinka on 9/29/2017
edited by Lallinka on 9/29/2017

Oh, yeah, he does have his hair in a bun. Is this a London production of a Spanish story with a French director and a Japanese producer? Because that’s rather marvellous.

(By the way, I adored this story. I’m a sucker for an examination of the interaction between the mundane and fantastical elements of the Neath, plus some likeable personalities, sequences of practical action, and getting up to the elbows in some good solid art. Fantastic stuff!)

[quote=Aberrant Eremite]I agree that the picture of the Assured Filmmaker was distractingly odd. Is her Amused Assistant the first ambiguously-gendered NPC we’ve seen? (I mean, the first ambiguously-gendered NPC we’ve seen who seems to be a human going about an ordinary life.)[/quote]I can’t recall many other nonbinary characters like the Assured Assistant. Isery also uses they pronouns and is largely human, but they’re also a red honey dealer up in the Isle of Cats, so up to you on how ordinary a life that is.

One other question:

Throughout all of our playthroughs, has so much as a single person had the public be satisfied? Or is it always &quoteveryone’s a critic&quot?