OCTOBER'S EXCEPTIONAL STORY: Discernment

I enjoyed the story, but as others have said it was quite short. During the salon progress was also fast enough to prevent choosing most of the options, which was a bit disappointing.

Can someone explain the use of the Locating the Soul of Salome quality? In the same page there’s the option to buy it from her, so I don’t understand its utility. If I refrain from buying it I’ll get the chance to rob it?

A wonderful story; this section in particular really tickled me.

I feel like I somehow missed out on a lot of topics of conversation with a certain gent. Despite exploring every option available (to the best of my limited capabilities) I could only cycle through: The Uttershroom, Love, Family, Souls

Now I’ll never know what he had to say on the subject of apiculture.

Besides the above I also was able to talk about Religion through my church connections, but I think that was it. I don’t recall seeing any visible locked options.

I didn’t have that chance, so I think it just determines whether you bought it or not. Ending the conversation normally gave me Locating 1 which was required for one ending option, and since the other required Locating 2, I bet that means you located it in the shopping bag the Deviless conveniently provided to carry your purchase home.
edited by Optimatum on 9/24/2015

I spent the entire story thinking the Soul of Salome was in the man from the uttershroom. So I thought, buy it? I’ll just take it later.
A bit disappointed in my ending because of that.

[quote=PStrange]A wonderful story; this section in particular really tickled me.

I feel like I somehow missed out on a lot of topics of conversation with a certain gent. Despite exploring every option available (to the best of my limited capabilities) I could only cycle through

Now I’ll never know what he had to say on the subject of apiculture.[/quote]

There are only four topics with the poet himself. The others are from the Wry Functionary story, but they are shown here because of storylet structure thingy.

[quote=Optimatum]
I didn’t have that chance, so I think it just determines whether you bought it or not. Ending the conversation normally gave me Locating 1 which was required for one ending option, and since the other required Locating 2, I bet that means you located it in the shopping bag the Deviless conveniently provided to carry your purchase home.
edited by Optimatum on 9/24/2015[/quote]
Ok, thank you.
Has someone already done the math to figure out the epa for buying that soul through theft of particular character? Having a (supposedly) biblical soul upon one’s fireplace is cool enough, but the wording of the storylet makes me think the Coruscating Soul is unmarked…

Buying the soul with brandy comes to 1.42 epa according to my crude maths, but it opens up an extra option later to sell it back, for a more money (which you don’t get with a random coruscating soul). I don’t know how much you’re offered in that circumstance.

Selling the soul option gave me 3 legal documents and 3 collection of curiosities, which I must say was a bit underwhelming…

Collections of Curiosities sell for 62.5 echoes each on the Tomb-Colonist card, so that’s 187.5 echoes from those. I’m not sure how much Legal Documents are worth though, so I can’t give an overall number, but it’s probably not worth it.

Legal Documents are 12.50 a piece, but are devilishly hard to come by, so might be worth keeping.
Is there an option to repeat the process if one has multiple Corruscating Souls?

The cost of grinding that amount of brandy, in actions, is higher (by my napkin calculations) than the average number of actions you’d have to spend gambling at the Fidgeting Writer to get a Coruscating Soul. So it’s not exactly discounted. Even if you sell it back and take the Legal Documents and Collections of Curiosities, then sell those, it’s a bad deal – you’d get 87.5 more echoes for just selling the Coruscating Soul. Oh, devils!

There is one circumstance in which it’s worth it – if you need 3+ Legal Documents, which otherwise take 44 actions to get. You save a handful of actions by grinding Muscaria Brandy, buying the Coruscating Soul, then selling it back, compared to what it’d normally take you to get 3 of each of those items. All the better if you have some Muscaria Brandy lying around, but that stuff doesn’t tend to pile up accidentally. Voila: slightly cheaper one-time Legal Documents source!

No, you can’t repeat the exchange since you lose the quality related to the soul of Salome in the process.

Huh, I just noticed that the text says “a greater value in Legal Documents and Collections of Curiosities.” This is kind of misleading for newer players, I think – if it’s actually 3 of each, then they’re losing out on 87.5 echoes. Even if it’s a “greater value” in terms of number of turns it takes to gain a Coruscating Soul vs. number of turns it takes to get the documents & collections… well, I guess that’s true unless you’re unlucky at the Fidgeting Writer!

Am I to understand it is better to acquire a Coruscating Soul before I continue this story?
I really need my Brandy for something else.

You don’t have to acquire a soul at all. The only uses are showing it off during the salon and selling one for a bad price at the end.

I have it echoed here.

I think I may redo this Exceptional Story when the chance is offered. I am very interested in getting a unique soul in my collection.

[quote=Blaine Davidson][quote=Gonen]

Could someone please PM me the result of having a Coruscating Soul? I would like to know if I should try and get one before progressing. (Yea, I know it’s probably not such big of a deal).

ThanQ!
[/quote]

I have it echoed here.

[/quote]

No unique prize then (except the Legal Documents you discussed earlier). Thanks!

Has anyone tested if there are any unique results for very high or very low levels of “Taking a View on Abstraction”?
In the conversation, it seems quite possible to raise or lower it an unlimited amount.

A Queer Soul… interesting, I like this unique item. Thx ! =D

The story was ok. We are far from the atmosphere of the previous one, but it’s good nonetheless and the lore informations are nice. It felt a bit empty and the text was short but hey, that’s a monthly story, it cannot always be heart taking !