October’s Exceptional Story: The Magician's Dream

This should be it:

I’m not looking forward to fulfilling whatever the fingerking is promised.

I really hope there are more options in the future to fight them off or at least, delay their plans.

That was a lot of fun. Parabola and the Fingerkings is one of the mysteries of the Neath that I have been most excited in learning more about.
It didn’t top last month’s story for me, but was still excellent. If next month’s story is up to par then ‘Celebrations’ might just come close to topping ‘Skies’ as my favourite season yet.

Echoes here:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Socotra?fromEchoId=14859676
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Socotra?fromEchoId=14859811
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Socotra?fromEchoId=14859820
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Socotra?fromEchoId=14859831

Nothing earth-shattering from an outside perspective - she is just distant and seems ‘off’ to her brother

Anyone know what happens if you refuse to help or don’t volunteer for the illusion?

Is the end of the bargain an opportunity card?

Anyone who left Bethany in parabola?

Yes, that auto pops.

Yes, echoes start here: https://beta.fallenlondon.com/profile/Kaigen/14851165

I chose to bargain with the Fingerkings, but I haven’t gotten the autofire card yet. Am I just having bad luck with my card draws, or does it show up only if you ended up with “pursued by a serpent” after leaving the Mirror Marches?

I’m pretty sure I didn’t have that quality by the end, and the event still happened for me.

I enjoyed this one. Parabola and the Finger-Kings are just about my favorite bit of Fallen London lore, so I’ll take any chance to directly interact with that realm, and this is about as direct as it comes.

I do wish asking the Magician &quotwhat’s this all about&quot wasn’t mandatory. For established players it makes it seem like their characters don’t know what they know, and for newer players it will make a lot of storylines they haven’t encountered yet very weird when the game obliquely refers to things they now have a very explicit understanding of. Now that I’m thinking about it, the adventure’s framing that you and Bethany are dealing with forces you don’t understand is rather undercut by the fact that it’s taken as a given that the character does understand.

Another quibble, but it would have been nice if the Glass/Shroud connection had figured in a bit more. Not necessarily in a huge way–I did like the Final Curtain’s means of handling it, where one of several ending options required a level of Glass connection, but that might not have worked here. But, for instance: at the start of the party both the Glass and Shroud treated me as one of their own, even though my Glass is at 20 and my Shroud is at 1, which is the level you get after you’ve essentially revealed yourself as a saboteur to the Shroud. It would have been nice if that quality had instead gotten me some dirty looks while mingling with the Shroud in a snake mask.

This is making me really wish I could reset my Glass/Shroud choice somehow.

I completed the story on release day and it just showed up yesterday for me. It’s just your luck.

I too would love to replay the Glass/Shroud. Especially now, that we have supposedly learned new information.

I might rather be the exception here, but I didn’t enjoy the story - the day/night Mirror-Marches segment didn’t contribute much of anything to my understanding of the Magician and his dreams, nor Parabola’s politics, nor particularly impress me as set piece moments. Reading Bethany’s notes was cool, but it also didn’t have to have a bunch of weird one-time fluff attached to it.

The Panther was around, but it was just as confused about the situation as everybody else, the snake that chased you around for most of the story was fake, Bethany herself doesn’t provide any information on how the Fingerkings themselves work, and even if you actively encourage her to be possessed you don’t see nor hear anything from it.

I wish there was more focus on the magic mirror and the Fingerkings’ venom - Bethany was clearly addicted/enthralled/etc to their bite, or at least regarded it as a nice experience, and I’d think exploring that dynamic would be much more interesting than eating really foul cherries and poking around in peacock nests.

Same for the mirror - its existence has a lot of implications for the lore and how mirrors work, but we hear almost nothing about it except the Magician’s ‘It throws my fears into the Marches I guess’, and what descriptions of it we do get are often squirreled away in endings or easy-to-miss content (did you know it turns red when the Magician activates it? It does that) as single throwaway sentences.

The pair’s parents are set up to be a major plot point yet their fate is never remarked on nor revisited once you go to Parabola or meet Bethany - I’d imagine the fact her own parents did the same thing she did, except for a magic dream mirror, would influence her decision a lot.

Can anyone who tok the daring option to get out of your bargain message me with the result?

I liked it mostly…but this would have been the perfect story to have unique options for a Glassman yet I didn’t see any!

I also didn’t like the [spoiler]making a deal with the Fingerking was automatic. I expect to be able to make choices but nope. Would have been an opportunity to flesh out the Fingerkings desires and maybe manage to win against them, and again a Glassman should know what they are dealing with already and have some kind of leverage over them. [\spoiler] That was a big disappointment.
edited by Wilhelm Leibniz III on 10/3/2018

Trying to avoid spoilers I would like if someone could PM me or reply to this post if this ES have any Dream requirements or rewards related to those qualities?

Many thanks!

Did anyone else find the name Bethany oddly anachronistic? It sounds to me like the name of someone born in the 1980s rather than the 1870s.

This seems like an ideal time to mention the Tiffany Effect, something I learned about the other week and is kinda relevant and interesting. (Although I can’t actually speak to the authentic Victorian-ness of the name Bethany specifically; you could well be right.)
edited by Barse on 10/3/2018