October Exceptional Story: Say it With Flowers

Argh! Fat fingers. I’ve reported someone to the moderator by accident, and I’m not even sure who it is. If you’re a moderator looking into it, it’s purely accidental. Sorry!

[quote=morestory]I chose to take the message myself.

The last thing I remember is the Lady in Lilac before finding myself back on a ship to London. The Princess was thwarted, the message was switched with her none the wiser, and presumably the workers continue to suffer. At least the couple didn’t go to the Surface. Hopefully the Princess won’t find them. What have I lost?

Might I get an echo of that? I’m still stuck on the boquet choice and having a rather difficult time. Are there any other…non-standard messenger options?

More importantly, can anybody tell me what awaits if I return to a certain area after having been warned? How…irrevocable are these consequences?

Menaces? Stat damage? Locked story options? Indignities not to be spoken of?

I really liked the characters and the new setting, but I guess I wasn’t paying attention because I have no idea what

the Lady in Lilac was doing there at the end.

This one?

[quote=Scienceandponies]More importantly, can anybody tell me what awaits if I return to a certain area after having been warned? How…irrevocable are these consequences?

Menaces? Stat damage? Locked story options? Indignities not to be spoken of?[/quote]

I entered a forbidden area once. No menaces, no stat damage, no immediate or obvious consequences at all, but it definitely ends up altering the story’s end-choice; I have a suspicion if I had done it one more time, I might not have had an end-choice at all. If you want more details PM me.

edited by Senforza on 9/28/2019

In the end, I chose to

persuade the couple to stay together and head for the Surface, come what may. I also took the message myself, to end the situation in the Canal. I am in good terms with the Brooding Captain, and I tell the Princess to get bent any opportunity I find, but in the end this wasn’t about them; allowing the workers’ plight to continue would weigh too heavily on my conscience.

It was a pity that even though Jolanda has a Cider, she wasn’t given an opportunity to use it in this case and make the end she chose a bit happier - theoretically, it could happen. It seemed a good use for an item that is otherwise rarely used.
edited by Jolanda Swan on 9/29/2019

I have not yet reached that point, but it is disappointing that the Cider cannot be used, considering the sidebar text even hints that the only way to safely get back up is via Cider.

However, as the Captivating Princess clearly didn’t recognise me, despite my acquaintance with her - well, I am disappointed, but other than that, so far, the story’s been very good.

Any notable long term mechanical consequences in any ending? Such as new area, or new opportunity card similar to Cricket, Anyone post-ending? I got an impression it’s possible here. It’s okay if not, just asking if it is.

The ending confused me. I don’t think I had the option to send both of them to the surface, or to send the true message without the two lovers as messengers, or to go to the surface myself.

I think some choices I made up in the canal must have locked me out of some endings, but I have no idea what they were or why they had that effect.

[quote=loredeluxe]This story was rather light on any real revelations, but it did finally confirm without a doubt a common theory among the player base.

[color=#ff0000]WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!!![/color]

The Captivating Princess is a colossal bitch.

No kidding. :-)

[color=#ff0000]WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!!![/color]

The Captivating Princess is a colossal bitch.

This is incredibly shocking.

I really do feel the Princess has been flanderized recently. In the stuff with the Salon and Feast of the Rose, she seemed mysterious and seductive, and for those who discovered the truth of red honey you saw an even darker side. The Gift further made her a first rate villain without compromising her seductive or mysterious qualities. And she was fine in The Empress’s Shadow. Her run as a mayoral candidate and portrayal in this story and My Kingdom For A Pig have been frankly petulant. A spoiled, powerful child so much unlike the refined horror she had been. I kinda hate it, because I loved the seductive monster she was, which pitted Caroline’s morality at war with her ahem fun side, shall we say? Now she is easy to defy and even fun because she is just a bitch with little going for her.
edited by Lady Karnstein on 10/1/2019

Can anyone tell me what the various message combinations are? I’m at the part of the story where I need to create a bouquet for Mary, but I’m a bit confused as the meaning relayed with all the various combinations available.

I will say, though, that this is one of my favorite Exceptional Stories for quite a while. I grew attached to the Spinstress as the story continued, where normally I don’t find myself getting attached to most characters. She is a very fun character to read. Also, this is my first ever community post! I’ve been playing since about March and have ‘fallen’ in love with the entire Fallen London Universe.
edited by Ultirian Yggnarsial on 10/4/2019

You can choose three flowers, each of which will either encourage caution—i.e. Mary giving up on the Spinster—or daring. The overall message will be whichever quality is higher. When you’re first given the option to create a bouquet, you only have flowers that mean caution, but can postpone the decision to find other flowers during the rest of the story. If you choose to wait you’ll automatically be prompted at the right time, so it’s not possible to miss anything.

Thank you so much! I had a feeling that those weren’t my only options, but I was afraid to stray away from the options page. That makes me happy that I didn’t choose a combination yet, because I am leaning towards keeping them together if I can, but If I have to send one of them I guess I will. What does it mean when it says &quotYou’ve lost something’ for certain major story choices. I’ve gotten the message before when I essentially forced the ending I wanted (happier ending that put me in the line of fire) on a previous exceptional story.

I think it might be metaphorical. I didn’t see any stats change.

[quote=Senforza][quote=Scienceandponies]More importantly, can anybody tell me what awaits if I return to a certain area after having been warned? How…irrevocable are these consequences?

Menaces? Stat damage? Locked story options? Indignities not to be spoken of?[/quote]

I entered a forbidden area once. No menaces, no stat damage, no immediate or obvious consequences at all, but it definitely ends up altering the story’s end-choice; I have a suspicion if I had done it one more time, I might not have had an end-choice at all. If you want more details PM me.

edited by Senforza on 9/28/2019[/quote]
Going to the abovementioned area a second will lock off the Spinster from sending the message, leaving you with Mary and the Captain’s agent as your only options. You don’t get anything for doing it, beyond even more warnings from the Enforcers. It is entirely unworthwhile.

Frankly, I am unsure why the ability to do so is even part of the ES, as it does not add anything to the experience and only punishes players for wanting to get the most content for their money and engage with the location they’re presented with. It does not strengthen the themes of the story, and severely hampers the players’ ability to engage with one of the two main plotlines (what happens to Mary and the Spinster).

It singlehandedly dropped my evaluation of this ES a few rungs.

[quote=Lady Karnstein]I really do feel the Princess has been flanderized recently. In the stuff with the Salon and Feast of the Rose, she seemed mysterious and seductive, and for those who discovered the truth of red honey you saw an even darker side. The Gift further made her a first rate villain without compromising her seductive or mysterious qualities. And she was fine in The Empress’s Shadow. Her run as a mayoral candidate and portrayal in this story and My Kingdom For A Pig have been frankly petulant. A spoiled, powerful child so much unlike the refined horror she had been. I kinda hate it, because I loved the seductive monster she was, which pitted Caroline’s morality at war with her ahem fun side, shall we say? Now she is easy to defy and even fun because she is just a bitch with little going for her.
[/quote]

This is my impression of her too, as of late. As if the elections were a turning point for her character, rendering her from a mature monster of feminine shape into a petulant teenager, whose monstrosity lies in being incredibly spoiled to the point of lacking empathy. Garden variety evil as opposed to her previous truly monstous incarnation.

I liked this one. It started out very slow from my point of view, but after you-know-who entered the picture it picked up very quickly and suddenly things got interesting indeed.

[spoiler] I chose to take the message myself. I’m assuming at this point that the thing I &quotlost&quot was my memories of the event, given Lilac’s involvement. Either that, or there was no &quotyou finished the story&quot item that I remember seeing previously. I assume the seasonal ending will track my Say It With Flowers 1000 rather than any kind of item.

I’m pretty sure that if you go backstage twice and really rile people up, Lilac just won’t be there, given that she required the quality that was reduced when they gave me the warning to not mess about any more.[/spoiler]

I also loved the writing for the epilogue, particularly when I was told that my SPIRE EMPORIUM IN THE ECHO BAZAAR was poor housing and, at first, being dismissed from my own home before she was corrected.
edited by Arcengal on 10/8/2019