October Exceptional Story: Our Lady of Pyres

Well, I’ve finished it. Nice story, really. Lore-wise, I really loved New Sequence parts. Ending I chose gave me a Night Whisper, which is not Element of Dawn, but I am satisfied. It was happy ending, too, for everyone, I think. I definitely prefer this one to the previous. Mechanics at the beginning is kinda confusing. Ended up taking an unnecessary zee voyage which delayed wrapping this up. Other than that, the only complaint I have is slight drop of my Ruthless. But, then, I got boost to Subtle, so again, not that bad.
All in all, decent story! Can’t wait for the last one!

Listening to the Conflagrati confessions has someone confess “ex-sanguination”. Is there supposed to be a dash in that word?

I loved the story. I don’t mind sailing (well, it’s a season of wrecks, they are supposed to be somewhere in the sea) and I don’t find time sink actions repetitive, especially this time when new options appeared every &quotday&quot. My character had a great fun screwing over both parties.
I’m a bit disappointed though that we received very little information about Dawn Machine. Maybe if you choose to help the Visionary he reveals something else? But aside from that - very good story and a very satisfying ending.

That freaked the hell out of me. I happened to have some Mutersalt on board, though, so I was able to put it off long enough to make a mad dash for a cure.[li]

Maybe they used to have blood, then stopped?[li]

[quote=radicalace]I’m enjoying myself- although I spotted a typo at the point where you scheme with the Abiding Wife -

&quotYou’ve conspired with the Abiding Wife to sew dissent in the upcoming ritual.&quot

as well as at :

The Evening RItual is here
edited by radicalace on 9/29/2016[/quote]
That really bothered me, but I didn’t have enough time to draw attention to it at the moment. I just barely had enough time to stop my actions from capping at the max (while savoring the text) as it was.[li]

[quote=Jeremy Saklad][quote=radicalace]I’m enjoying myself- although I spotted a typo at the point where you scheme with the Abiding Wife -

&quotYou’ve conspired with the Abiding Wife to sew dissent in the upcoming ritual.&quot

as well as at :

The Evening RItual is here
edited by radicalace on 9/29/2016[/quote]
That really bothered me, but I didn’t have enough time to draw attention to it at the moment. I just barely had enough time to stop my actions from capping at the max (while savoring the text) as it was.[li][/quote]

[color=#e53e00]The beatings [of typo causing writers] will continue until morale improves. (Do send in typo reports, I don’t normally haunt the forums like* a jet-lagged ghoul. support@failbettergames.com )
*as (Fixed, if unclear.)
[/color]
[/li]
edited by babelfishwars on 9/29/2016

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus]
If you don’t mind, could you PM what option gave you the Element. I wouldn’t want to miss to gain such a rare item in my playthrough (and it’s good to know what one has to do to assist the Dawn).[/quote]
I too would love to know which choice gives an Element. If any of you delicious and exceptional friends would be so kind as to share this information in a PM, it would be much appreciated.

edited by Akernis on 9/29/2016

Out of curiosity, has anyone that pitted the two cults against each other chosen to leave him be rather than convince him to leave? From what I understand, most people have told him to return to the Dawn Machine rather than just leaving him in the wind, and I’d like to know how that plays out for the Sear-Eyed Visionary.

I’m at the confessional event, and I’m hesitating to make a choice because I’m not sure what is implied in the “Execute a Subterfuge” option. Has someone echoed the resulting text from that choice?

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sir~Joseph~Marlen?fromEchoId=9726898

It’s more or less the same fiendishness that’s been in the other neutral options like it.

The ending I got gave me an element of dawn, Yay

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus][quote=Hattington]I’m mostly in agreement with Robin-with one exception for just this installment in particular. I like the Dawn Machine a whole bunch and am pleased to have had an opportunity to advance its’ hand just a little more, so I think this one will be the highlight for me of the whole set. Glory to the Machine. The Machine spins on.

I have but one potential regret: Did I make the right choice in telling the Visionary to remain with his flock? I remember Mr. Irons mentioned ages ago on Twitter he’s stocking weapons in preparation for the Machine’s advance, and besides-the Visionary seemed a little flaky beneath the fervor. So I thought it might be in the Machine’s best interests to build s table foothold instead of extend its’ reach beyond its’ grasp.

I still got the Dawn Element. I hope that’s a good sign.
edited by Hattington on 9/29/2016[/quote]

If you don’t mind, could you PM what option gave you the Element. I wouldn’t want to miss to gain such a rare item in my playthrough (and it’s good to know what one has to do to assist the Dawn).[/quote]
I imagine that you’ve already achieved the ending and guessed which option gives you an Element.If not, now you know its easily guessable and at the end. The option I chose gained me an Enigma, and I agree with Robin, why even Hedonist gain?

[quote=Morucant][quote=Vavakx Nonexus][quote=Hattington]I’m mostly in agreement with Robin-with one exception for just this installment in particular. I like the Dawn Machine a whole bunch and am pleased to have had an opportunity to advance its’ hand just a little more, so I think this one will be the highlight for me of the whole set. Glory to the Machine. The Machine spins on.

I have but one potential regret: Did I make the right choice in telling the Visionary to remain with his flock? I remember Mr. Irons mentioned ages ago on Twitter he’s stocking weapons in preparation for the Machine’s advance, and besides-the Visionary seemed a little flaky beneath the fervor. So I thought it might be in the Machine’s best interests to build s table foothold instead of extend its’ reach beyond its’ grasp.

I still got the Dawn Element. I hope that’s a good sign.
edited by Hattington on 9/29/2016[/quote]

I imagine that you’ve already achieved the ending and guessed which option gives you an Element.If not, now you know its easily guessable and at the end. The option I chose gained me an Enigma, and I agree with Robin, why even Hedonist gain?[/quote]
I think the idea is you’re funding the Conflagrati’s continued stay, and they’ve been very much hedonistic up to this point and will likely continue.

Received a notification about nine minutes ago in my messages tab:

&quotThe dust. The sun in your eyes. Everything changes. Everything stays the same. Moving.&quot

I’ve never seen this before and as I’ve just completed the story this felt like the right place to mention it and ask: Does anyone know what this is about?

[quote=TeslaWalker]Received a notification about nine minutes ago in my messages tab:

&quotThe dust. The sun in your eyes. Everything changes. Everything stays the same. Moving.&quot

I’ve never seen this before and as I’ve just completed the story this felt like the right place to mention it and ask: Does anyone know what this is about?[/quote]
What ending did you get? I helped the Conflagrati, saved the Iconoclast, and gave the Bequeathment to the wife, and I have no message.
edited by Optimatum on 9/30/2016

[quote=Optimatum]
What ending did you get? I helped the Conflagrati, saved the Iconoclast, and gave the Bequeathment to the wife, and I have no message.[/quote]

Turned them against eachother, told the visionary to leave, brought the iconoclast back, and gave the bequeathment to the wife.

I don’t know if the story and the message were related but I figured I’d post in here incase they were.

Hmmm, I was sowing a bit of chaos between the two groups and received this line.

Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary walketh about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour&quot

I chose to take the bequeathment myself because of course I did.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Ombler?fromEchoId=9737170
Reward was

A Long-Box

[quote=TeslaWalker]Received a notification about nine minutes ago in my messages tab:

(Spoiler)

I’ve never seen this before and as I’ve just completed the story this felt like the right place to mention it and ask: Does anyone know what this is about?[/quote]

This is almost certainly related to the New Sequence and the Dawn Machine.

EDIT: Wasn’t quoting the spoiler right.
edited by Ombler on 9/30/2016

I enjoyed this story. Spoilers for the meat of the story and ending below the cut.

[spoiler]I made a mistake with this one. I decided to side with the Abiding Wife automatically, not because she gave me any compelling reasons to listen to her, but because my knee jerk reaction was &quotcults are bad.&quot

As I played on, though, I realized it would be more in-character for my character to try to help the Iconoclast. I mean, Harris and Mildred are both dying, so why should Harris’s last wishes trump hers? And when I thought about it, the Abiding Wife never cared about what was best for the Iconoclast. This line, &quotI have always been the stake in the heart of my husband’s happiness,&quot showed clearly that she felt guilty about making her husband unhappy, not because she let something bad happen to the Iconoclast. But by then it was too late, and I had to go along with the Abiding Wife’s schemes. All in all, the ending wasn’t too bad, though. Probably best not to have (another) suicide cult running around in the Neath.[/spoiler]

Other than the interesting characters and moral dilemmas, I was really happy with all the references to poetry. Voltaire, Swinburne, and John Gower. Someone else also pointed out that the last Exceptional Story in this series was based on this ballad. Literary references in Fallen London always make me happy, because everything from Victorian times and prior is usually public domain and easy to find on the internet.

Also, while I was playing this, I kept wondering what it is about the Neath that seems to inspire fanatics of all types to sprout up everywhere. When somebody asked one of the Masters why animals speak in the Neath, it said that the Neath is a place of ambition. Afterwards, I noticed it really is a recurring theme: The Rubbery people, the rats and guinea pigs of Pigmote Isle, the Cousins, and the Pentecost Apes all long to have civilization, music, art, or a place of their own. So maybe people of the Neath are just really susceptible to falling prey to the various grasping powers that exist there (the Uttershroom, the sorrow spiders, the Fathomking, Mr. Eaten, etc). With the Dawn Machine it’s obvious which power is trying to bring people under its influence, but the Conflagrati is a new one. Who in the world benefits from it? (I noticed hints about something that happened beneath the waves, maybe we’ll learn more about the Conflagrati in Zubmariner?)