Novels in a similar vein?

Hey all, been really enjoying Fallen London. These are some of my favorite stories to read so I’m a natural fit for this game. :) Can any of you recommend novels that are similar in nature to FL?

Here’s some similar ones I know of that you all might enjoy:
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. Alternate history Elizabethan London where magic fuels a bloated Empire.
The Nightside series by Simon R Green. Fallen London, pretty much, just set in the modern-day. The theme and tone are so similar I’m pretty sure this had to be an inspiration for Fallen London!
The List of Seven by Mark Frost. It’s been a while since I read this, but it’s set in London in the 1800s with Arthur Conan Doyle investigating a series of murders that occurred at a seance… cue dramatic music

The City of Saints and Madman by Jeff Vandermeer

You should read Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere. Actually I would recommend reading everything Neil Gaiman’s ever written, but Neverwhere is set in a creepy alternate London.

I loved the Bartimaeus Trilogy when I was younger. I spent a whole summer in middle school trying to create a Golem because of it. Glad to see someone else enjoyed it.
edited by IgnatuStone on 8/15/2016

The Lies of Locke Lamora, if the part of it you enjoyed was criminal capers in an older setting.

The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger.

Alexis Kennedy actually posted some recommendations on the Failbetter Blog, way back in 2011: http://www.failbettergames.com/you-asked-we-answer-part-2-and-the-scientific-expedition/

I personally read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell around the same time I became obsessed with Fallen London, and the two bled together and cross-pollinated in my mind, not least because both have a similar tone, and both seem to adopt a similar lightweight pastiche of 19th-Century writing styles. I still imagine Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell’s London existing in perpetual darkness, deep underground; and I still half-expect to stumble upon the book’s particular version of Faerie in Fallen London.

iirc there might be a shoutout to Vandermeer in Fallen London, in the form of Ambergrissian Brandy :)

nice thread