Nightmares at Sea, and their effect on Science

I am currently on a prolonged scientific journey across the Zee, searching for proof of my theory that the Correspondence, in fact, is the language of a long dead civilization. Primordial Rubbery Men, even.

As of late, my uncoverings have started to haunt my dreams, and one could say that they are about as strong as one could imagine (9, going on 10). I assume I’ve been protected from madness in the Parabola from the fierce strength of pure science, but all good things come to an end.

Bottom line - how concerned should I be about hitting nightmares 10, upon returning to civilization? Is it just more CPs to reduce, or is their a more negative effect?

You’ll be moved into a Menace area (either the Mirror-Marches or a State of Some Confusion), but apart from that it’s just more to reduce. If I were you I would drop by Hunter’s Keep before returning to London, since you’ll be able to take care of your Nightmares really easily there.

Thank you, madam.

If you have access to the Iron Republic, you can also go there to reduce menaces.

If you, as any sensible sailor really should, have certain things in possession - namely, a gold fish and a Bejeweled cane - you could bring them with yourself when landing. As long as you keep your nightmare at 9, they could help you keep your mind.

[quote=James Mareno]I am currently on a prolonged scientific journey across the Zee, searching for proof of my theory that the Correspondence, in fact, is the language of a long dead civilization. Primordial Rubbery Men, even.

As of late, my uncoverings have started to haunt my dreams, and one could say that they are about as strong as one could imagine (9, going on 10). I assume I’ve been protected from madness in the Parabola from the fierce strength of pure science, but all good things come to an end.

Bottom line - how concerned should I be about hitting nightmares 10, upon returning to civilization? Is it just more CPs to reduce, or is their a more negative effect?[/quote]

If this were wounds, you could stop by Hunter’s Keep, but I’m not sure if the same is true for Nightmares.

It’s true for Nightmares too. When you reach 8 in either Wounds or Nightmares in Hunter’s Keep it’ll trigger an event that reduces it, which is pretty nice. There’s an action or two that reduces those menaces directly as well, which is nice.