Newbie POSI Questions

Finally hit POSI- A Significant Individual and I was wondering besides buying a boat, if there are other things I should look to do. I know changing my Making Waves to Notability is one thing. But is there anything else out there that’s missable or something I can grind to do?

Well, everything availible to POSI will stay availible. expensive gear quests will start flooding your deck, but once you take the first step will swap to storylets and stop bugging you.
There are certain sidequests given by virtue of being a POSI, or areas- the war of assassins, for instance, and willmot’s end. However, there’s no way you’re going to get locked out of anything, so do as you wish!

The stuff open to you is in the “expanded” section under the “myself” tab. Namely, Affiliation, Transportation, Home Comfort, Ship, Spouse, Club. As Grenem said, you can’t really miss any of it.

If you don’t have any BDR items you can expect Notability to take a long time, even early on. As everyone else said make sure to get all the POSI stuff so you don’t have a hard time finding a better job later on. Keep in mind that many of the components you need are pretty expensive. You may also need some cash on hand for certain items.

Well, also… take your time- there’s really no rush, it’s only a 20 echoes a week upgrade between baseline and top-teir.

BDR items? Also thank you everyone for the advice. I’ll most likely go back to anything I left open before POSI before tackling anything.

BDR items are items that raise your bizarre, dreaded, and respectable ratings. The combination of these makes it easier to raise your notable in the long run.
edited by Beau Mercy on 6/25/2016

[quote=Beau Mercy]BDR items are items that raise your bizarre, dreaded, and respectable ratings. The combination of these makes it easier to raise your notable in the long run.
edited by Beau Mercy on 6/25/2016[/quote]

To be more specific, every point of bizzare or dreaded or respected make it so you require one less point of making waves to advance your notability making it easier to do that.

Ah ok, thanks again everyone!

Gotta get that +9 companion though.

Also the base Making Waves required to get Notability is 20. For each point of Notability you have the requirement increases by 4, which means a lot of CP later on. Let’s say you bought some nice clothes and maybe joined a club, and you’ve got like 9 BDR in total. Well now you only need 11 Making Waves at 0 Notability. That’s pretty great.

If you manage to get a lot of Echoes, you can buy some high-quality clothes, a weapon, and a companion for a total of 7+ BDR. But it’s the new POSI things you can get that will really make a dent in the Making Waves requirement. It’ll take a couple months or so, but once you get some Notability you’ll be really glad you have all that stuff handy.

I’m still trying to figure out all the various carousels I need to work, and what each is good for. You’d probably be well served if you do this long before I decided to, I definitely regret not having categorized stuff.

For example: I balance card draws against storylets and actions. However until just recently I hadn’t really considered which things appeared with the varying Airs of London. That changes my decision entirely – as to whether to play/keep/discard a card or click a storylet because sometimes the Airs gives a clearly superior option. This is especially true if I’ve been sucking up menaces and want some reduction.

Figuring out stuff like that, which I haven’t really, and where the various carousels are, that’s what I think I need to master. (and thus what you might find useful)

As for useful POSI items to obtain, I highly recommend becoming affiliated with God’s Editors (+4 respectable and a nice nightmare reducing card) and gaining a Gang of Hoodlums (+2 dreaded and a card that gives criminal favors).

For the ship, eventually you’ll want to get one of the better vessels but for now the cheap tramp steamer option is fine. It takes a long time to get a submarine or yacht (the two best ships) and if you want to get sailing immediately there’s no real reason to wait.

Gotta get that +9 companion though.

Also the base Making Waves required to get Notability is 20. For each point of Notability you have the requirement increases by 4, which means a lot of CP later on. Let’s say you bought some nice clothes and maybe joined a club, and you’ve got like 9 BDR in total. Well now you only need 11 Making Waves at 0 Notability. That’s pretty great.

If you manage to get a lot of Echoes, you can buy some high-quality clothes, a weapon, and a companion for a total of 7+ BDR. But it’s the new POSI things you can get that will really make a dent in the Making Waves requirement. It’ll take a couple months or so, but once you get some Notability you’ll be really glad you have all that stuff handy.[/quote]
Yeah, and that companion makes it useful- but not enough to swap to pure grinding for BDR, or to try to force notability when your BDR is pretty bad or complete garbage. Explore the game- there will be time to fixate on profit later.

Is there an actual starting point for any storylets or is it whatever I chose to do? I ask that since I didn’t see anything for the War of Assassins or other sidequests that open up.

I don’t remember for war of assassins, but wilmot’s end is unlocked by a stat-limited opportunity card- you need shadowy over a specific value and to be a POSI to go there. At least it’s not one of those cards you have to downgrade to use.

[quote=Amelia Syrus]Is there an actual starting point for any storylets or is it whatever I chose to do? I ask that since I didn’t see anything for the War of Assassins or other sidequests that open up.[/quote]Aye, either wait for the ‘By the Way, Someone is Trying To Kill You’ card or chat with the Local Gossip and chose Assassins for War of Assassins, before following up in the Quarter or Flit.

Probably should ask this in the Janissary Guard thread instead and not hijack this one, but after being a PoSI for a couple of days and going through the carousels, I was wondering. Been grinding DT using WoA, is this the fastest way to do it? Thanks.

Grinding DT through WoA or either of the Wilmot carousels have the same speed. But if you want the stuff from Wilmot’s End you’ll have to go through an additional carousel to reach the options.

[quote=knguy ]Grinding DT through WoA or either of the Wilmot carousels have the same speed. But if you want the stuff from Wilmot’s End you’ll have to go through an additional carousel to reach the options.[/quote]Thanks, already cashed in two before for a Clay Man Sedan and now just 1CP DT shy of joining God’s Editor.

[quote=Grenem]I don’t remember for war of assassins, but wilmot’s end is unlocked by a stat-limited opportunity card- you need shadowy over a specific value and to be a POSI to go there. At least it’s not one of those cards you have to downgrade to use.[/quote]Yeah, there are four ways to open Wilmot’s, one of which doesn’t require you to be a PoSI, only a certain value of shadowy and connected: Great Game. Both items carousels there will be available from the start, regardless you’re a PoSI or not.

[quote=Sinnouk][quote=Amelia Syrus]Is there an actual starting point for any storylets or is it whatever I chose to do? I ask that since I didn’t see anything for the War of Assassins or other sidequests that open up.[/quote]Aye, either wait for the ‘By the Way, Someone is Trying To Kill You’ card or chat with the Local Gossip and chose Assassins for War of Assassins, before following up in the Quarter or Flit.

Probably should ask this in the Janissary Guard thread instead and not hijack this one, but after being a PoSI for a couple of days and going through the carousels, I was wondering. Been grinding DT using WoA, is this the fastest way to do it? Thanks.[/quote]
Yes- it’s also worth noting that the wilmot’s end carosel has card draws that offer a slight chance of saving actions- though there are probably bettr places to draw and navigate that.