New Second Chances use

I have to say that I don’t care for the new system at all. It significantly reduces the value of any individual second chance, doubles the action cost of using them (which right there makes them actively undesirable most of the time), and the UI is painful (especially, though not only, on a mobile device).

I’m sorry to complain about it, but for me this change this a crippling negative (2x action cost) coupled with two small negatives and one positive change. I’m glad the default is now “off”, because at least it means I can forget about second chances entirely.

Recently became addicted to this game and really love it. Also, really glad that the developers are actively engaged in the community.

I understand that there has been a vocal group of players that complained about second chances being mandatory. And I think it is great that the developers listened and made changes in response. Honestly, that’s fantastic and I honestly don’t think i can complain.

But I think it’s fair to voice my opinion- I was quite happy with the way second chances worked previously. Would be very happy if the recent change was scrapped or if players could choose to opt out.

However, that does seem like a lost opportunity. Perhaps both groups of players could be made happy? Not sure how hard this would be but could the choice regarding second chances be something along these lines-

check the box if you want to risk a second chance. If it is checked, it works like it used to- you use a second chance only if you fail (having a second chance always be used doesn’t make sense thematically- and I’m pretty sure the game wasn’t broken under the old system of second chance use). If you don’t check the box, the second chances are not at risk and won’t be used. AND to reduce clicks could the system remember whether or not the box was checked and keep it the same when actions are repeated?

Thank you for reading. And, to the developers, thank you so much for your hard work and effort making this game. It is fantastic!

Damn it, more functionality that relies on mouse-over. I’ve been playing solely on an ipad since my computer gave out back in december, and ipad and mouse-over don’t get along.

I hadn’t noticed the issue of using another action on the Second Chance.

Yup. Never using them again. They’re now simply a huge drawback, since I’m better off failing, taking the hit, and trying again: at least that way I am able to get the XP from both actions, rather than throwing away an action for nothing.

I highly recommend this script from fellow Scarlet Saint Kaanyia. It’s an absolute life saver for those of us who don’t like the mouse over and still miss the old interface.

…This seems to be taking a complaint that the users had and then just ignoring the actual complaint to do whatever the devs want. It’s more clicks to grind actions you don’t want to fail, if it is taking up two actions I hadn’t noticed but that’s a huge drawback. Using them up regardless of whether an action fails or not another downgrade. I’m not sure why the new focus is on making the game “harder” but this is just really annoying.

The current trend seems to be something along the lines of “bigger risks, bigger rewards,” and the new second chances represent taking out a kind of insurance. I’m not overly bothered about the devs doing what they want with it, because, well, it’s their game - I’m just the freakishly overenthusiastic player - and they know what they’re doing.I could write my own mechanics - hell, I could write my own stories! - but that would just end up as self-insert fan fiction… or, even more so, considering we’re talking about a game that I’m actually -in-. In any case, I may be alternately excited and wary about the new direction things are taking, but it’s an interesting variation, and it certainly beats the old days of “high risk, low rewards,” when hitting a Menace of 5 killed you dead.

Having to spend two actions to get a Second Chance, especially in the final Exceptional Rose dancing rush, is… NOT cool, man T.T

But it goes weirder than that - to me at least, it only takes two actions if the original check is successful; if the first check is failed, you get another chance, and only lose 1 action O_o It definitely seems like the 2-action cost is not an intended feature.

Surely the two-actions thing is a bug? Hopefully FB will get it fixed soon.

[color=#009900]It was, in fact, a bug, and is now fixed. Sorry about that![/color]

[color=#009900]We implemented a long-standing suggestion (literally years at the top of the feedback list); but we implemented it in the way that matched our creative agenda and fits with our long-term aims for the game economy. We listen to suggestions and I like players to be happy, but I don’t want anyone mistaking this for a democracy. :)[/color]

[color=#009900]And here…[/color]

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/a/warm_and_dark

[color=#009900]is a little something to perk up those of you who’d lost actions to the bug. For the first 20,000 players: get it while it’s hot.[/color]

Thank you Alexis - very useful.

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]And here…[/color]

[color=#009900]is a little something to perk up those of you who’d lost actions to the bug. For the first 20,000 players: get it while it’s hot.[/color][/quote]

That’s either gone or bugged.

Did you try logging out first?

…Just tried that now, I still get all the messages saying said coffee appears. I just don’t actually get the coffee. It’s not in my inventory.

…Reset my password, logged back in, now I seem to have the coffee. Thanks for the help.

Thanks very much for clearing up the two actions for one issue. I’m still not overly fond of the click here, click another tiny box here format, but I do like the fact that if I need to fail at something I won’t automatically get a second chance at success! That’s a definite improvement.

[color=#009900]is a little something to perk up those of you who’d lost actions to the bug. For the first 20,000 players: get it while it’s hot.[/color][/quote]

That is very useful! But…uh…I can’t help but notice that in the email is said it was worth 100 actions to exceptional friends. I can’t help but notice that as an exceptional friend I recieved 5 cups of darkdrop coffee, each of which filled 10 actions (as they always have for me, and I’ve always been an exceptional friend with darkdrops). Does this mean I should have been getting 20 actions per cup, or double the cups, or what?

So kind of you!

[quote=SayleCal]
That is very useful! But…uh…I can’t help but notice that in the email is said it was worth 100 actions to exceptional friends. I can’t help but notice that as an exceptional friend I recieved 5 cups of darkdrop coffee, each of which filled 10 actions (as they always have for me, and I’ve always been an exceptional friend with darkdrops). Does this mean I should have been getting 20 actions per cup, or double the cups, or what?[/quote]

I’ve just submitted a bug report about this same thing. It would appear that there’s a problem either in the way its effect was described, in the way it works for Exception Friends in general, or a few of us are particularly bugged. Regardless, I am thrilled with my gift but just wanted them to be aware of the discrepancy.