New prices of lodgings.

[quote=Urthdigger]Well, in this circumstance you do come out the loser, though it would indeed give you the money to buy half of it: 5 echoes would buy 125 honey, and you only need 200.

In either case, whether to sell the rats or not is up to you. They have their uses, and there are ways to earn honey still. If not now, then later. I don’t know exactly where you’re at, but shortly after 30 the Shadowy path can rob a honey den. If you’re shortly past 40 you’ve most likely come across cards to open up working for the cheesemonger: All of her tasks that open at 40 pay 32 prisoner’s honey, and you’ll need to do these tasks to get further along the story anyway. If you’ve already done that and spent all your honey, then I guess things are pretty bad, your next opportunity I can see outside of a few cards is at the empress’ court.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips!

I’ve been saving Whispered Secrets up for weeks to get the Decomissioned Steamer, and hanging onto Cryptic Clues, too, to sell so that I can buy Whispered Secrets (because I seem to accumulate them both at fairly similar rates and had no use for the CCs). Having sold the CCs and bought the Whispered Secrets, I’ve now had to spend actions grinding the Secrets back into Clues - and upwards - losing several echoes on each exchange.

I’m feeling very jaundiced at the moment. I had a real sense of achievement, but now I am less than half way there again because the narrative I was participating in has been rewritten. It isn’t just the actions and the echoes. I feel chucked out of the storyline I was writing. My fault for not realising the costs had changed, I know, but what’s the point of roleplaying towards goals when the goalposts move on this scale? Maybe a transitory stage with both prices on the cards would have been helpful.

Nathalia
A watchful and steamerless lady.

ARGH! I had a whole big post doing the math, but logout ate it. Abraham, the only reason that comes out as a loss in terms of echo cost is because you’re starting with whispered secrets. You could easily start with 2400 cryptic clues… and it might even be easier due to higher storylets throwing them around like candy. This would only cost you 4800 in sell price, compared to the old steamer’s 6000 sell price worth of goods. You could also simply start with 330 appalling secrets, while rarer than clues they do come from a variety of sources, a 4950 sell price worth of goods in total.

This would take 15 turns if you start with 2500 clues instead of 2400 and use the fast option, 28 turns if you don’t, or a mere 10 turns if you start off with the appalling secrets.

I would add that losing Tomb Colonies connections in order to convert from Third City relics to Mysteries of the Elder Continent can be a pretty hefty price in addition to the number of actions and relics you would need to obtain.

To compliment that math in the first post- can’t you just buy a brass ring straight off for 40 echoes? that’s 2000 souls 5500 less than calculated. granted, that won’t grant you leftover rings and will cost you more in echoes but we are after that lodging here not just the echoes, right?

It seems that the cheapest way of obtaining most lodgings is going to be at Hunter’s Keep, so I’d get a ship before even attempting anything else.

Indeed. They may want to…increase the skill level before introducing those opportunity cards. I’m fairly certain I began seeing the 3 expensive ones when my first skill hit 70 and I have such a long way to go before I make my way to the Keep.

~MF
A Lady planning a purchase

It seems that delicious Londoners who already have every top tier lodging still have the “new cost” options appearing. Are we sure that these are new costs or do they perhaps provide something else? Or is this a bug which will give on, say, two Premises at the Bazaar?

I lack the Royal Beth, but have the other two. Of these, the Bazaar has no option to get a key, while the Embassy does, albeit only the new option, not the original souls one. From the way that the game usually works, I would suspect that it’s simply a case of a typo in the line that tells it when to hide the options. Of course, it may be that there’s some super-secret benefit to having multiple keys…