New Amused Lordship Art

[quote=a Nice Friend]His Amused Lordship was always a Brian Blessed, and now he is more so.

edit: here is a re-hosted version for people who can’t see

edited by a Nice Friend on 10/26/2017[/quote]
I AM FOREVER IN YOUR DEBT FOR SHOWING ME THIS BEAUTIFUL GENTLEMAN, FRIEND.

Hyperbole aside, while I do believe his beard could do with some darkening to a brown or reddish-brown, overall I think the design is absolutely gorgeous. So long as both images get used in-game, I think I’ll be just fine swooning over Mr Blessed incarnate.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 10/26/2017

I love the new art, this one and in general, and it’s always such a thrill whenever some of the old art gets revamped. A lot of the old icons were endearing, but somewhat crude and awkward, while the new ones almost always have much stronger personality to them (and are also plain more skillful art. that’s right, i’m shallow).

Yeah, I’m probably in the minority, but I just LOVE the older style, despite its flaws. It just had SO much personality. I especially love how most of the characters had “cartoon eyes” (just white with a pupil). Made them so expressive. There were plenty of characters I’d normally be apathetic toward or even dislike, whose artwork nonetheless won me over (The Mooching Artist, Scarred naturalist, Provost of Summerset, and Sear-Eyed Visionary all come to mind). It’s like, I know they’re a-holes, but their artwork makes them such ENDEARING a-holes :P

I guess I’d be sad to lose that aspect of the artwork, even if it’s replaced by something that’s better from a technical standpoint.

Personally I’m of the opinion that stylized is plain superior to realistic in almost all cases. When conveying emotion and feel it’s easier and more effective the less unnecessary detail you have.

i actually agree, though in my opinion, most the new portraits have a healthy degree of stylisation to them (just look at feducci’s unbelieveably narrow chin or DTC’s big moe eyes,) which gives them a nice, lively flair while still keeping them appealing.

the style of the old portraits is fine, but the technical aspect isn’t always very good, which is why i think failbetter is slowly revamping them; they just didn’t age all that well

Isn’t this the games third major art upgrade?

He is BRIAN BLESSED, right?
edited by Lady Karnstein on 10/26/2017

You be the judge.

My wild guess is that the upcoming Dilmun Club content update will feature new artwork, and H.A.L.'s old art would look out of place with the new stuff.

Tuesday: Hallowmas. No new art. People complain.
Thursday: His Amused Lordship. New art. People complain.

LoL. Working at Failbetter must be a hoot. I bet they must really love us. :)

I don’t really see any complaining. Just differing aesthetic sentiments and some nostalgia.

Makes sense. We know that the Dilmun Club is the next major content update for this year. Here are the three sponsors:

Of course, there are other images of them used. For example, the Implacable Detective’s business card still uses this image:

Well, people have variously said they are insulted, upset, anguished, don’t see the need for it, and have requested that we have no more art like this. Personally I don’t think it unreasonable to call that complaining, but you are entitled to your own interpretation.

Seems to be to me.

Oh, I somehow missed those posts about his beard color. Perils of doing multiple things at once.

You know, his Amused Lordship, under all his good natured life loving bluster, is clearly afraid of death. He probably dyed his hair red to feel younger. Older men do that, there are commercials for those products and everything :P

Oooh, very exciting. Sounds like Dilmun is getting closer. I can’t wait to see Tobias’s take on Elder Continent stuff, if that’s what’s coming up. Maybe a sneak peek of that in this season’s ending in Vesture?

I hope I hope the return to the Dilmun Club lets us change our patrons. I choose poorly, back when we knew very little about these characters!

Dilmun is indeed very close!

Loving the new art. I’ve grown attached to some of the old portraits, but I think the new art has a lot of personality too. This one of HAL reminds me of Conan Doyle’s character, Professor Challenger, which to my mind is a wonderful comparison.

It was a bit disconcerting seeing old HAL in this festival alongside more realistic portraits. I like the new art