Names of the fallen cities

One of the options at savior’s rocks all but says that the ruins there are from the third city, which is interesting, I had missed that earlier.

[quote=ThePolishSausage]
That said, it would seem that there’s some sort of connection between Persia and the tigers of the Carnelian Coast. I skimmed the thread and did a few searches and couldn’t find any mention of satraps or Persia, so apologizes if this was already mentioned, but I thought it interesting. Likewise, I’m not heavily read up on Fallen London lore, and don’t know if this has already been discounted.[/quote]

No, you’re quite right - we knew next to nothing about the Elder Continent before Sunless Sea’s recent updates, and there does seem to be a very strong Persian connection!

Also, founding one’s own kingdom with the aid of the Presbyterate reveals that they predate the Bazaar’s dabbling in the Neath. Which is… well. They are as old as balls.

There’s a location outside of Venderbight called Tanah Chook. Its looks exactly like a Mesoamerican temple that would be found in the third city.

Impossible! Tanah Chook is from the Secon… erm… um. Nevermind…

Well, the general consensus seems to be that the Neath existed long before the existence of the Bazaar and there are cities that have made their way there without the Bazaar’s help. The third city was very likely Mesoamerican and the discussion above suggests that it was likely Mayan in origin.

I felt utterly certain the Duchess was Nefertiti until the recent art updates. Apparently I’m Highly-suggestible. :/

Just 2 cents to chip in on the subject of the South Asian theme of Varchas: I had a head-smacking moment a few weeks ago when I realised that where I had seen the phrase Mountain-of-Light (Stone) before is Koh-i-Noor. Considering I’m from Malaysia which is a Muslim country that uses some Arabic words I should have gotten the nur = light thing earlier.

As someone from Southeast Asia I’m not really getting an Angkor Wat vibe from Varchas. I’m not an expert on Hindu mythology by any means but Southeast Asian Hinduism and Buddhism developed their own local flavours after being exported from India. The Mughal history of the Koh-i-Noor also seems to push Varchas further west to some part of India where both Hindu and Muslim cultures existed, as opposed to SEA where they were kind of more sequential.

Since we’re on the topic, does the Presbyterate originate from any Surface civilisations or has it always been in the Neath?

spoilers for Aestival ending re: the Presbyterate - [spoiler] they’re explicitly said to predate even Bazaar shenaniganry in the Neath, so I don’t suppose there’s a recent civilization they’re derived from.[li]

My interpretation of Varchas was that it was either a city that somehow fell literally into the neath in a way devoid of the masters. Or it metaphorically “fell” being destroyed on the surface and it’s descendants built Varchas in the neath.

Check out this snippet from Fallen London

What are the Tomb-Colonies like?

More Mictlan than Milan. Travellers do go to see the sights, but the sights are mostly dark half-deserted plazas and unfriendly people wrapped in bandages. They have some good churches though.

Mictlan is the Aztec underworld. I’m fairly certain that the Tomb Colonies are the remnant of the Third City.

Nice catch. The stepped pyramids in Venderbight certainly look that way.