Mysteries Closure

[color=#C2B280]The mysteries tab will close at last at around 12pm GMT today. Someone will be awarding a small quantity of Fate for correct answers. If you haven’t filled them in – or perhaps, devised an ingenious explanation of the absence of foxes from the Fifth City – a short time yet remains.[/color]
edited by Flyte on 1/31/2014

Finally, my theory that they died off through limited food supplies and pressure from predators is gonna pay off!

Oooh, exciting! Looking forward to the answers!

The mysteries seems to have closed now and a new graphic for the tabs have been updated. Also, Good luck everyone![li]
edited by Blackleaf on 1/31/2014

[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]Mr Flyte is now assessing your responses. There are 402,428 answers, and unfortunately we do have to allow him time to eat and sleep, but we should be finished by the summer of 2031.[/color][li]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]Mr Flyte is now assessing your responses. There are 402,428 answers, and unfortunately we do have to allow him time to eat and sleep, but we should be finished by the summer of 2031.[/color][li]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color][/quote][/li][li]Well I hope you got cellars full of Darkdrop Coffee back there.[/li][li]

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]Mr Flyte is now assessing your responses. There are 402,428 answers, and unfortunately we do have to allow him time to eat and sleep, but we should be finished by the summer of 2031.[/color][li]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color][/quote]
Technically you do have to allow him time to sleep, but there’s no rules against promising to unleash a sorrow-spider into the room if he tries it. [/li][li]

I hope that the best incorrect answers will be shared here, looking like the manifesto of London’s wildest conspiracy theorist.

I will be very surprised if any of my answers are, such as “ratcolocation” or “the continent of rat america” turn out to be correct haha.

[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color][/quote]
You do mean the summer of 2013, yes? There must be some great secret to having them in by yesterday. ; )
[/li]

Oh dear, poor Flyte. I hope they are at least entertained by some of the conspiracies while being force-fed darkdrop coffee and menaced by spiders :p

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]Mr Flyte is now assessing your responses. There are 402,428 answers, and unfortunately we do have to allow him time to eat and sleep, but we should be finished by the summer of 2031.[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color][/quote]

Oh my - that is a lot of answers. Poor Flyte. To be honest I wonder how may of those are active players or people who have left Fallen London for one reason or another.
Well good luck and I hope at least some of them provide amusement ;)

It shouldn’t be THAT bad. I seem to recall that about eight questions have pretty easy-to-parse answers - convert the answers to the Ladybones Road question into a .csv, open in Excel, sort/filter around Marylebone (and the related misspellings if you’re feeling generous), flag the winners, scan the rest for amusing mistakes and unusual misspellings and then move on. Say half an hour per, if you’re feeling generous with the various possible typos.

The trickier ones should still be handleable via keywords and the like, or at least the major errors can be eliminated - if the foxes didn’t all die due to being eaten by bats, it should be fairly easy to find all cases of the word ‘bats’ and flag them as wrong. Word cloud software can give hints on the keywords to search for. You should be able to eliminate a significant number of wrong answers that way, leaving the tedious maybe-right/maybe-wrong questions for the poor Mr Flyte.

Not having seen the dataset, it might be more ghastly then I’m imagining, but I suspect the data to have relatively low entropy. The ‘what did other people say’ option will likely mean that most people will seize upon the most popular answer, encouraging large blocks of almost word-for-word identical text, which should be relatively easy to handle.
edited by RandomWalker on 2/1/2014

[li]
Well he get to have &quotTime in bed&quot once he had too much coffee in his system. However, I do suggest that he keep an eye out for those spiders while he rests. :)

He (or someone else on the team) could make a simple program to search the spectrum of answers for certain answers (and slight variants, like “rats,” “Rats,” or “RATS!!!”). It would sort out a good portion of the responses as correct, and given the number 402,428, would save a LOT of time.

I do hope the answers will be shared. I know I gave up on being “correct” with my alt, and went for (what I thought were) funny answers.

I can hardly wait _

On the Messages tab, you can now see how many of your answers were correct!
I got 16 right! But how many mysteries were there in the first place?
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 2/5/2014

I just got a message and I managed to get 12 correct - I can’t even remember what I answered for all the questions or even how many questions there were.

I got 14; which means I passed the Fallen London Exam with a 78% grade.
Although I think I had at least one joke answer and two or three I was flipping back and forth on, so that’s pretty good all considered.