My Clay character. Buried.

tl;dr: am I really stuck in an infinite loop or is there, as may be hinted through other players’ journals, a way out?
tl;dr edit: I was, and there is. I can’t spell it out, owing to a creator request not to spoiler things. The answer is not Nex-locked but is metagamey.

(Background: It used to be possible to create a Clay Man character, as a sort of easter egg. The character ‘lived’ in a separate area and couldn’t leave it, and only had a few storylets. It was a nice view into the Clay folk’s miserable existences. This feature was removed a time ago, and the content was probably intended to be retired, but I still have my character.)

So, I’ve been happily playing through my Clay character’s hopeless and dreary life recently, only to find him all of a sudden buried by angry dock folk, with no further actions possible (really - none, beyond clicking the button).

I don’t know if this was only just implemented, or if it triggered by my character’s (unique to clay men) UNCO-OPERATIVE REPUTATION quality rising too high, and I’m curious to know which it was. I have waited a few days in case there’d be a living story development but nothing so far.

Now, this makes me sad, because I would quite happily have kept checking in on him on and off and laughing at - I mean respectfully and sympathetically deriving catharsis from - his misfortune, but I’ve noticed a further curious thing in the &quotwho else is here&quot module in the special Clay Man area. People seem to have found a way to &quotLEAVE&quot this area, from the looks of their journal entries retiring their characters or similar in the process. This option isn’t available to me from my quite undeserved (it was only a few thefts) tomb beneath the Stolen River’s banks. Might it be in future?
edited by Suitov on 1/10/2014

PM sent.

Thank you to Sara Hysaro. To drop a non-spoilery hint, it appears there is indeed an answer to my poor Clay Man’s enigmatic condition, if one has but the ambition to search it out.

I don’t think I have. But that may change.

In general you weren’t supposed to be able to - Clay Men characters were an easter egg - but when the Clay Man area was repurposed, a way out was created for visiting players.

If I could also be enlightened, I’d appreciate it. I never had a CLay character, but followed their apparently fruitless hopes with interest.

I’m disappointed to hear that new CLay characters are impossible to create and even teh old ones could not become fully enmeshed in the game.

I learned of their existence via TV Trope’s commentary about the game (also how I heard about the game at all,) and was hoping to make a clay alt whose curiosity and compassion would eventually leave him Seeking and horribly, horribly conflicted.

I used to think that it was possible for regular characters to become Clay Men. Why? Because the description of the Clay Sedan Chair: &quotThe chair is of oak, horsehair and velvet. Only the men carrying it, and you, are clay.&quot

As bizarre as it might seem, I interpreted the text as saying that &quotthe men and you are clay&quot. But instead it just means that the men who carry you and the chair are clay. I think it’s the first comma in that second sentence that led me wrong, as it separates the &quotyou&quot from the &quotit&quot that is being carried, thereby implying that the &quotyou&quot is instead connected to being &quotclay&quot. And for all I know that could be the grammatically correct interpretation. (English is not my first language.)

I like to think I’ve got a better grasp of English than the average idiot - making me, in fact, a premium idiot - but that bit about the Clay Sedan Chair confuses me every single time. I always have to read it twice. Item descriptions are some of the oddest text in the game, I think - they range from being only a few words long, like the Beguiling Mask, to including lengthy discussion of (for example) how Urchins like to throw stones at your Iron Hat because they like the sound it makes… and I’m still not sure why the Distinguished Gentleman’s Outfit was appended with the disclaimer that it does not always contain a gentleman. To reassure us that it can, in fact, be worn by gentlewomen and other gentlefolk? To warn us that even if a man is wearing it, he may not be gentle, but rather, a cad? Or simply because it might sometimes be taken off, and contain coat-hangers?

I suspect, Sir Fred, that the answer to all of your questions is simply, &quotYes.&quot '-)

[quote=Gillsing]I used to think that it was possible for regular characters to become Clay Men. Why? Because the description of the Clay Sedan Chair: &quotThe chair is of oak, horsehair and velvet. Only the men carrying it, and you, are clay.&quot

As bizarre as it might seem, I interpreted the text as saying that &quotthe men and you are clay&quot.[/quote]You’ve made me doubt it, but I think that is what it’s saying… just in a metaphorical sense rather than a literal one.

There are plenty of biblical quotes equating people to clay. And to me, it touches off some kind of thought about how we’re all going to end up in the ground sooner or later - an appropriately humble counterpoint to the showiness of travel by sedan chair.

I agree it parses badly, though.

PM sent to Asclepius.

I have that same double-take moment with the Clay Sedan Chair! I know I’m supposed to parse it as &quotOnly George and Garfield are clay&quot, but I wonder if the double meaning was intended.

Regardless, my clay character is now loose in London. In-character, he was excavated by his three Acquaintances, resculpted his body into a human shape at Mahogany Hall at great discomfort to himself, and went to ground in an anonymous flophouse. When pursuit dies down he’s been promised mentorship by my main. Meanwhile, if he has enough uncanny luck, he’ll change his name to A COMPLETELY ORDINARY HUMAN NAME. (Out-of-character he’s just been turned into a normal character account, in effect.)
edited by Suitov on 1/11/2014

Sorry to bring this old topic back, but I just remembered that I have an alt character who was turned into a clay man for a lark. Now that I checked up on him, he is, as in OP’s post, buried and stuck in an infinite loop. If there’s a way to bring him back I’d appreciate it if someone could tell me about the way to do it. By PM if needed. Thank you in advance!
edited by SmallFish on 10/5/2016

This whole thread is fascinating. Does anyone have journal links for their clay men character? It’s a shame I’ll never get to play it myself, but I’d love to read someone else’s clay misadventures.
edited by Harlocke on 10/5/2016

The easter egg still exists, its just in a very different and difficult to reach place.
edited by suinicide on 10/5/2016

[quote=SmallFish]Sorry to bring this old topic back, but I just remembered that I have an alt character who was turned into a clay man for a lark. Now that I checked up on him, he is, as in OP’s post, buried and stuck in an infinite loop. If there’s a way to bring him back I’d appreciate it if someone could tell me about the way to do it. By PM if needed. Thank you in advance!
edited by SmallFish on 10/5/2016[/quote]

I’d just reach out to support. You generally aren’t meant to get stuck in infinite loops and they should be able to break you out of it pretty easily.

[quote=Harlocke]This whole thread is fascinating. Does anyone have journal links for their clay men character? It’s a shame I’ll never get to play it myself, but I’d love to read someone else’s clay misadventures.
edited by Harlocke on 10/5/2016[/quote]

As was mentioned, the content still exists if you can solve the puzzles to get to it. If you want to take a crack at it An Ocelot’s Hints are a good place to start.

If you were really dedicated you could probably find some of the content echoed in my profile but that was a couple years ago so it’s pretty buried and actually visiting the place is significantly more interesting than the text snip-its it provides. It doesn’t expand the clay man mythos or anything.

[quote=Harlocke]This whole thread is fascinating. Does anyone have journal links for their clay men character? It’s a shame I’ll never get to play it myself, but I’d love to read someone else’s clay misadventures.
edited by Harlocke on 10/5/2016[/quote]

It was mostly work.

I have been to A PLACE WHERE THERE IS VERY LITTLE SCREAMING myself, but I’m still quite curious about those once playable genuine clay characters, are there any remaining profiles for them? Or maybe all of them have been deleted…?
EDIT: I found a strange profile before but I’m not quite sure… there are something spoiling about some metagame content so I will not link it. The journal entries started from 18 June, 1889, the portrait is broken and that individual is not Mr Eaten. Just want to make sure if that is a clayman of mysterious and indistinct gender. Or simply someone who created a new alt for the meta content?
edited by Fadewalker on 10/9/2016
EDIT: That is one of the clay characters. Thank phryne for confirming it.
edited by Fadewalker on 10/10/2016

[quote=Fadewalker]I have been to A PLACE WHERE THERE IS VERY LITTLE SCREAMING myself, but I’m still quite curious about those once playable genuine clay characters, are there any remaining profiles for them? Or maybe all of them have been deleted…?
EDIT: I found a strange profile before but I’m not quite sure… there are something spoiling about some metagame content so I will not link it. The journal entries started from 18 June, 1889, the portrait is broken and that individual is not Mr Eaten. Just want to make sure if that is a clayman of mysterious and indistinct gender. Or simply someone who created a new alt for the meta content?
edited by Fadewalker on 10/9/2016[/quote]
Sounds intriguing, mind linking it to me in a PM?