Mr. Murgatroyd's Fungal Crackers?

well, i have quite fond of them. i dont know what they were. the word &quotFungal&quot just makes it more &quotweird&quot and &quotbizzarely mysterious&quot.

they first appeared when your lodgings was invaded by rats and you can protect these crackers as one of the options. they appeared out of nowhere in the text so i though they were just a comedic placeholder.

later when i got my white raven at the bazaar. i got a card that lets me give something to my raven. i forgot what option it is (its a luck check) and the text says i was giving the raven these fungal crackers, and my raven likes it.

so, storywise, what are these fungal crackers?. will they appear sometime again later in the story?. and also, WHO is this Mr. Murgatroyd that makes this fungal crackers?.

[quote=Snado]well, i have quite fond of them. i dont know what they were. the word &quotFungal&quot just makes it more &quotweird&quot and &quotbizzarely mysterious&quot.

they first appeared when your lodgings was invaded by rats and you can protect these crackers as one of the options. they appeared out of nowhere in the text so i though they were just a comedic placeholder.

later when i got my white raven at the bazaar. i got a card that lets me give something to my raven. i forgot what option it is (its a luck check) and the text says i was giving the raven these fungal crackers, and my raven likes it.

so, storywise, what are these fungal crackers?. will they appear sometime again later in the story?. and also, WHO is this Mr. Murgatroyd that makes this fungal crackers?.[/quote]

I think it’s just another generic brand like Cotterel & Hathersage, Leadbeater & Stainrod, Trump & Fotheringay, and so on.
There’s a Mr Murgatroyd’s Teahouse in Port Carnelian, so maybe that’s a base of operations or somesuch.
As for the crackers themselves… I’m fairly certain they’re self-descriptory. They’re crackers made out of fungus, just like half of all the other food in the Neath.

im not POSI. so i cant get a boat. but if i have, i should visit that place in port carnelian.

can you list at least one example from the brands you mentioned ?

[quote=Infinity Simulacrum]
I think it’s just another generic brand like Cotterel & Hathersage, Leadbeater & Stainrod, Trump & Fotheringay, and so on.
There’s a Mr Murgatroyd’s Teahouse in Port Carnelian, so maybe that’s a base of operations or somesuch.
As for the crackers themselves… I’m fairly certain they’re self-descriptory. They’re crackers made out of fungus, just like half of all the other food in the Neath.[/quote]

Leadbeater shows up personally on a opportunity card and also a heist, and his behaviors hint at him being a drownies cultist that actively try to makes more drownies. He and his brand are not irrelevant background.

[quote=Snado]im not POSI. so i cant get a boat. but if i have, i should visit that place in port carnelian.

can you list at least one example from the brands you mentioned ?[/quote]

Mr Murgatroyd’s tea house appears in Sunless Sea. I haven’t yet taken my turn as governor of port Carnelian so I can’t vouch for it being present in Fallen London. Trump & Fotheringay makes an &quotesteemed meat pie&quot as seen in the Fallen London comic.

[quote=Morkan Kassington][quote=Infinity Simulacrum]
As for the crackers themselves… I’m fairly certain they’re self-descriptory. They’re crackers made out of fungus, just like half of all the other food in the Neath.[/quote]
Leadbeater shows up personally on a opportunity card and also a heist, and his behaviors hint at him being a drownies cultist that actively try to makes more drownies. He and his brand are not irrelevant background.[/quote]
Nit-picking aside, you get the point, right?
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 8/17/2016

well, its just a generic product in the end. fungal crackers mentioned again if you attend spore carnival at the church card.

Murgatroyd’s is a place of gathering for Khanagians in Port Carnelian, so it might have some connections with them.

I have always been under the impression that the fungal crackers are the equivalent of hardtack, or ship’s biscuit. Can’t recall why, probably came from SS.

I wonder how they are made…my assumption is by drying the mushrooms and making flour out of them.

I assumed so as well. Dry the fungus, mill it into flour. Bake. Serve to starving Zailors at Zee – who will eat ANYTHING. (hardtack is … an acquired taste, I doubt adding fungal flavor will improve it.

Just fill them with Prisoner’s Honey…or maybe not.

I always thought they were literally just dried strips of Bolegus or somesuch stuffed into a package. Least effort for the most profit, right?

[color=#ff9900]If I told you about our plans for Murgatroyd’s you would not believe me.[/color]

Try me! (I want to believe)

i never this thread is getting this many replies.
now i want these fungal crackers to be as &quotpopular&quot as rubbery lumps.
edited by Snado on 8/18/2016

ok. i recently played the game and got a &quotyour house plant&quot card. one of the options mentions &quotMr. Murgatroyd’s Vegetable Vivication Elixir&quot.

Now, what’s the deal with Mr. Murgatroyd ?. he has three things. those fungal crackers, a teahouse, NOW an elixir. an admin says they have plans for him. i will be glad if that means new stories involving him.
edited by Snado on 8/18/2016

Mr Murgatroyd has his own sidebar snippet, too:

Murgatroyd is one of the Neath’s more successful entrepreneurs. London shop-shelves are stacked with his fungal tea, his fungal crackers, his fungal beer.

I’m looking forward to learning more about him!

I find myself wondering if he might be another Utterpersonage. (now that we’ve met one) I’m definitely feeling like there ought to be at least some connection to the Uttershroom.
edited by absimiliard on 8/18/2016

[color=#ff9900]When we did a search for ‘Murgatroyd’ in our content management system a while ago, his name popped up everywhere. Cash and I were like &quotMy God - how deep does this go?&quot[/color]

Introducing the new master. Mr Murgatroyd. Domain: he just bought all your houses, so stop asking questions.