Moving to the Smoky Flophouse Dormitory

Good idea? Terrible idea? Questionable idea? More importantly,can I move out if it proves to be a mistake?

Why would it be a bad idea ? And yes, you can move out.

You can live anywhere you want - as long as you have the key; deed; etc. The only difference it makes is how many cards your hand can hold … unless you move into a Remote Address which stops you getting City Vices cards.

Personally I don’t bother moving as you still get the lodging cards for all that you own wherever you live.

The only concern is that you are stuck with the card forever once you buy the key, so make sure you like the card.
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/The_Tower_of_Knives:_Difficulties_at_a_Smoky_Flophouse

I think its not a terrible card, free connections criminal are useful.

It does become dramatically worse if you choose to get rid of Jack forever in a far future storyline. It used to be one of my favorite cards to draw, but now it’s at the top of my list for whenever it becomes possible to sell lodgings.

Thank you all of you for your time

If you are asking whether should you buy the Flophouse, the answer is no.

Of the purchasable lodgings, here is a list of lodging you should absolutely not purchases:

Smoky Flophouse
Bookstore
Cottage by the Observatory

Generally speaking, you will begin to regret their purchases when you become PoSI. And since they are cheap, if one day FBG added useful things to these lodgings you can always buy them later on.

[quote=Estelle Knoht]If you are asking whether should you buy the Flophouse, the answer is no.

Of the purchasable lodgings, here is a list of lodging you should absolutely not purchases:

Smoky Flophouse
Bookstore

Generally speaking, you will begin to regret their purchases when you become PoSI. And since they are cheap, if one day FBG added useful things to these lodgings you can always buy them later on.[/quote]

Money can’t buy scraps! But yes, until your &quotendgame&quot consists of getting all the 3200 scrap items (I am not entirely sane…) these do not give good cards.

Why are those three the worst?

The cards they add only give 1 scrap. The rest give 2 or more.

Even if you are collecting scrap, they reduce the chance of drawing the other lodgings which give several times more.
Hopefully selling lodgings will be implemented long before anyone starting out today needs to worry about collecting all the Tier 8 items though.

I purchased only two 3-card lodgings; my bookstore and my Townhouse. The latter is en route towards Salon status; the former is already solidly one of the poopier cards I can draw, although the Starving Artist is still worse.

Still, that third card is very helpful when you’re trying to progress your earlier storylets - some of them can require a lot of waiting, which you can reduce precipitously by drawing as often as you can.

I remember reading that scrap is only worth collecting if you get three or more at a time so wouldn’t that just mean the bat and the 4 card lodgings?

When I bought the flophouse I just saw it was available with a currency I had a lot of and I wanted to be able to hold three cards.
edited by 38thDoE on 7/24/2015

This is true in terms of Echoes per Action, but there are a lot of things you can only get though large numbers of Scraps and getting scraps can be a long arduous, non-grindable process.
So, for some people, the ability to get any scraps at all, even one at a time, is worth it.

Is it really possible to fine-tune a deck to the point where it’s averaging more than 1 scrap per card draw?

I haven’t actually run the numbers, but remember that 4 card lodgings are twice as common to draw as standard lodgings, and that all the relicker cards have a 1 scrap option as well. I know that with my former svelte deck, I gained a tremendous amount of scrap, and I do feel it would have been more without those low value cards. I was thinking more in terms of EPA at the time though.

[quote=Estelle Knoht]If you are asking whether should you buy the Flophouse, the answer is no.

Smoky Flophouse
Bookstore

Generally speaking, you will begin to regret their purchases when you become PoSI. And since they are cheap, if one day FBG added useful things to these lodgings you can always buy them later on.[/quote]

For me, the Smoky Flophouse is the only one of these three that I don’t regret.

The card is one of the best ways to gain Connected Criminals, so long as you are an Annoyance to Jack of Smiles and Jack’s still about, second only to visiting the Forger or Singer.

Since I’m an active Soul Shepherd who makes use of the menace nuke action (giving me lots of extra Constables CP), having Criminals well above 50 lets me cash in both Criminals & Constables on Implausible Penance and Crime or Punishment.

(Connected Revolutionaries is the most valuable connection if you don’t mind advancing the Liberation, so some people will like that, too.)

So yeah, it’s useless as a scrap card, and of course the newly added Making Waves action is also ‘meh’, but I still appreciate the card’s presence in my deck. For whatever that’s worth! It’ll still be useless to lots of people, of course.

Why do you say that connected Revolutionaries is useful ? I got a lot of that since I sold the location of the Nadir to that faction (I don’t care about them but I needed the vial to eventually get the 5-card Bazaar lodgings) and I have no idea what to do with it.

Draw cards in the Flit and you have a chance of trading favours with the Revolutionaries. Also Urchins and Criminals, but only the Urchins and Revolutionaries are worth it.

Because this will occasionally happen:

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Trade_favours_with_revolutionaries

28 echoes basically. Unless you have a weird reason for wanting Mr Pages’ useless card…

If you’re getting ‘free’ revolutionary connection as a side-effect then this is probably the best card in the game.

And after you stop caring about echoes so much, it’s still the best card in the game 'cause it’s worth 20 scrap with the Urchins.

Always be flipping cards in the Flit, unless you’re after something else location-specific.