MISSING: Fallen London

I clear my cache after every session, but did a manual one just it case.

Still no good. : (

[color=330099]I do think this is DNS related. It might sort itself out for you in the next few hours depending on geographical location. I have reported it anyway.[/color]

Hopefully. Thanks.

EDIT:

I’m good! Although my wait did give me an idea. Since so many feel that the StoryNexus banner knocks the immersion out of the game, could it be made like the feedback tab? Always present but quietly sitting in the corner until needed?
edited by MaskedGentleman on 8/24/2012

It is most certainly not DNS-related since i get a traceroute fail strting from ec2-79-125-0-6.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com [79.125.0.6]. Fix it? Please?

I’ve cleared my cache, restarted my browser multiple times, and still can’t get anything but “Oops! Google Chrome could not find fallenlondon.storynexus.com”.

Firefox found it on the second try, but I don’t like playing on Firefox.
edited by amaresu on 8/25/2012

Because I am incredibly spoiled and frankly needy, normally I would be frothing at the mouth over these outages. And it would be real froth and not just shaving cream this time. In this case however, I am frothing at the mouth, but much less than one, than I, would expect.

The reason I am relatively placid is that the few turns I did manage to do today took about a tenth of the time they have in the past. Simply put, the game is running, when it is running, like a Bat with an Attitude.

So do whatever needs to be done Failbetter, and I shall demonstrate the grace of presenting at least a facade of patience and understanding.

Bat. With. An. Attitude.

[quote=amaresu]I’ve cleared my cache, restarted my browser multiple times, and still can’t get anything but “Oops! Google Chrome could not find fallenlondon.storynexus.com”.

Firefox found it on the second try, but I don’t like playing on Firefox.
edited by amaresu on 8/25/2012[/quote]

DNS propagation is weird. It’ll sort itself out, usually does so within 24 hours.

It wasn’t working for me on fallenlondon.storynexus.com so I switched to www…fallenlondon.storynexus.com and it worked fine. After a little while it suddenly stopped working so I switched back to fallenlondon.storynexus.com and that worked. Currently back on www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com LOL

I agree completely. The location headers are brilliant, but that bar is quite distracting. I imagine they want it to be attention-grabbing, at least for now, but hopefully they will change it to black at some point.

It’s been nearly 12 hours and it’s still not working for me on either www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com, http://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com or fallenlondon.storynexus.com
I have tried clearing my cache to no avail. I have tried turning it off and on again. I am sure it is plugged in.

I sent in a bug report, but because this launch was chosen for a Friday, I don’t expect this to be resolved until Monday. I get why they wanted to change the address and incorporate Fallen London into StoryNexus, but couldn’t this have waited until Monday? Surely they knew there would be technical issue which would occur and now we’re going to have to wait three days to get so much as an e-mail much less a resolution.

Well I doubt they expected there to be a technical issue but they definitely should have been prepared in case there was one. It’s definitely poor planning to introduce a major change on a Friday :(

this is likely not a technical issue with SN but just DNS propagation stuff, there is nothing they could do about that.

Absolutely. Our initial investigation suggests this is a DNS issue, which unfortunately isn’t something we can do anything about. It’s only affecting a subset of people, and as time goes on it looks like the issue is resolving for more and more, which also points the finger at DNS.

Some browsers may store DNS data locally, which may appear to perpetuate the issue after it’s resolved. So it’s worth clearing your browser’s cache and restarting it, too.

We’ll continue to monitor the situation.

Well, it would help some of us if those who get it working could report the IP-adress fallenlondon.storynexus.com should resolve to.

From my POV it doesn’t seem like a DNS issue since I get in now and then, but as soon as my 10 minutes are up (that is I should get a turn back) I lose contact. From any browser and even from any computer (have tried 4 different on the home network now).

So could someone who get it to work post which IP address they connect to? (on Windows press “win-r”, write “cmd” and press OK, write “ping fallenlondon.storynexus.com” press enter and report the NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN number it tries to reach)

For what it’s worth, the IP appears to be 54.247.167.187.

I also get a traceroute fail starting from ec2-79-125-1-98.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com [79.125.1.98].

And the IP my ping turns up is 46.137.122.254.

That is to be expected, I believe, given that StoryNexus is hosted on a Cloud infrastructure. (Not that accessing the IPs directly actually works, mind you. :))

:-D
The joy of the Cloud. Wonderful when it actually works, and hard to hack from the outside when it doesn’t. Thanks.
(And I actually get answers from the .254 address, it just gives me the Nexus, and trying to access Fallen London fails, as all other ways have done.)

I too can’t access Fallen London, and both ip addresses above only lead to a storynexus login with no trace of either FL or Cabinet Noir.

This has been the case since yesterday. I have restarted both browser and computer, and I have cleared my Firefox cache.

On hold,

I’ve cleared cache, restarted, and I still haven’t gotten anything other than that it can’t find the server. A sad day indeed.