Mid/lategame echoes farming.

Asasuming that i’m a Person of Some Importance, with stats around 100 (except shadowy, i suck at that)
And that i’m also an Exceptional Friend, for this month at least

I’d like some suggestions on good efficient (echoes per action) ways to make money, for i have a dire need of a fair chunk of it

I’m thinking of doing the monthly stories for EFs, although i’ve no idea how to find them. Is it possible to do the ones that have been released in the 6 months or so since i was last an exceptional friend?

I’m afraid that the only EF story that will be open to you without extra expenditure will be this month’s story. Earlier stories can be purchased from the Fate tab, but each one will cost money, and only the stories that are older than a number of months (which I forget) will be available. They’re generally okay for money, but if you’re after echoes they may not be your best option.

If you’re willing to spend real-world cash, your best option will be to do a few expeditions to the gallery of serpents (get your supplies from connections with the docks and the tankard from the Bazaar, only take the 100% success option, make full use of the gentleman who offers to help).

Otherwise, I don’t know which grinds would both be fast, reliable, and available to your level. I’m afraid that 100 in all stats is very much early-mid game, rather than mid/late.

You could try the Janissary Guard crowd, who would be more familiar with your situation.

As RandomWalker says, the Janissary Guard has a lot of advice for new PoSI in reference to making echoes and acquiring items. There is still time to upgrade your lodgings, but time is of the essence, now. If you haven’t made use of the many cups of Darkdrop coffee you can get from access codes that are still live, now would be a good time. But getting Notability to 3 may be somewhat difficult depending on what yours is now. If you don’t have buckets of snow and can’t afford to buy any, the question is moot, anyway, but the 4-card lodgings are still possible any time, and can be tended to at a more leisurely pace if you don’t intend to upgrade this Christmas season.

– Mal

i’ve no idea who or what this is

you mean for penstock’s wicket? I don’t have enough ToL to get in there, and i’ve no idea how to aquire more or if its possible now

I don’t think i have, what are these codes, where might i find them?

I have Author profession, i had 2 notability at one point. but it seems to have gone now

Janissary Guard - silly name, thread for asking PoSI questions, (possibly) not a real club (nor with any official affiliation to the Ottoman Empire) :)

Access codes

If you have at least one taste of Lacre you can still buy more buckets of Snow from The Roof-Tops: Urchins card for the cost of 7 Storm Threnodies and 1 Night Whisper - you’ll also need connected Urchins at 25 or higher. The best guide to Lacre related question is here :)

(There is no way to draw that Urchins card faster without spending Fate (or if you have Notability 7). I’m afraid you just have to be patient. :) I don’t think anyone knows for sure when the Urchins will stop selling snow buckets- possibly when the Wicket closes?)

You can check for Notability under your menaces on the bottom left of the game screen. You should still have at least 2 I would guess?

Buying a 5 card lodging is one of the few things that will actually use up acquired Notability. For most things (like high tier professions) there is just a requirement to raise it to a certain level.

Hope that is helpful :)
edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 1/16/2016

The Guard is a thread on the forum (there’s a link in my signature)

Don’t worry then about upgrading your lodgings then - but one of the 4 card lodgings is a reasonable goal if you’ve yet to have one. There’s no rush for those. The dark drop coffees are for refreshing actions and can be found here; Accessible access codes - I was a candle

In terms of grinds, war of assassins for collections of curiosities is the best at your level, I think.

It amusingly enough doesn’t focus on shadowy, unlike the Wilmot’s end carousel. That will open up when you hit Shadowy 110, I believe - you may want to visit that before mid February if I remember.

Also consider what BDR gear you have yet to acquire, and you could aim for those items while grinding.

(Ahh, you got me! Sneaked post)
edited by Parelle on 1/16/2016

[quote=Parelle]
(Ahh, you got me! Sneaked post)
edited by Parelle on 1/16/2016[/quote]

Muhahahahah!!! :milk:

@ Nanako - If you are determined to get something from the Wicket (and why wouldn’t you be! :) ) You might have better luck trying for one of the 3 ToL Remote Address Lodgings? In their own way they are just as useful as a five card Lodgings in that they filter certain less desirable cards from your deck. Three ToL (although not easy) is likely to be a much easier grind than Seven + ToL and a four card Lodging. (Something to think about anyway if time is running out towards the end of month)

hahahah
oh god no, i’m definitely not doing that.
I have one night whisper now, and i’m trying to find three more for my ambition. I certainly can’t spare any for buying buckets of snow

Any advice on aquiring more night whispers, by the way?

i think that the fidgeting writer is the best method

Agreeing with Wraith above. The way I have been getting most of mine is by the Case of the Fidgeting Writer - It’s a mini storylet you can start by clicking on any Tale of Terror you have in your inventory. It’s entirely luck based, and can be expensive in other resources to progress, so can be very frustrating, but if you keep at it you will get one eventually.

You can also get them by doing Archaeological Expeditions to the Shrine of Deep Blue Heaven in the Forgotten Quarter. - but again the reward for each trip is luck based and it’s expensive to get supplies. (but if you are trying to build up your archaeologist skill anyway its a good option - [Also if doing this buy a Pewter Tankard, use it raise connected Dock with glim, then trade that and rosty gold for supplies - in the long run it’s the cheapest way to do it - especially as you can sell the Tankard for nearly the same amount of Echos it costs to buy when your done with it] )

The only sure fire way to get one is to build up scrap and trade it to the Shivering Relicker - but that takes forever.

There may be other ways as well - but Night Whispers are not at all easy to get hold off.

[quote=Nanako]
I have one night whisper now, and i’m trying to find three more for my ambition. I certainly can’t spare any for buying buckets of snow

Any advice on aquiring more night whispers, by the way?[/quote]

If you’re just doing the Fidgeting Writer to get the Night Whisper then you only need to succeed in the first 5 luck checks (the full Fidgeting Writer chain needs 7 successes).

The chance of success is (very probably) 10.29%. This means that on average each ~10 Tales of Terror you start with will yield one Night-Whisper. Results will vary widely, though, so be prepared for some disappointments along the way.

[quote=the truthseeker][quote=Nanako]
hahahah

Thought I’d mention that your Ambition is a long-term goal made to be done well after one is a PoSI (not a new one) with few rewards without penalties.

Lodgings help you immediately.

And what you are saving up for costs about 504.8 Echoes’ worth of stuff.

What you mentioned isn’t even accessible unless you have a ship; you can’t even continue it let alone reach its current cap (which that is,) and ships are things most new PoSI don’t have (not even able to get all the side-street documents quickly and they ask for one of each to begin with ships, and it scales up from there. But after all that, the tramp Steamer is an option before you can buy a real useful and likely +BDR Ship.)
[/quote]

hi, this was a very long and interesting post.
You have underestimated me a little though. I’m making the Chorister’s Bomb right now. i want to finish this ambition and see the ending :(

i have all the top tier equipment except that persuasive ring, and my unmodified stats are 135,66,140,113. Shadowy really sucks D:
I also have the swift steamer that moves fast, that took a while to make

What does BDR mean ?

Bizarre Dreaded Respectable. When converting Making Waves to a Notability increase, the required level of Waves is reduce by the sum of these three qualities.

[quote=Nanako]

You have underestimated me a little though. I’m making the Chorister’s Bomb right now. i want to finish this ambition and see the ending :(

i have all the top tier equipment except that persuasive ring, and my unmodified stats are 135,66,140,113. Shadowy really sucks D:

What does BDR mean ?[/quote]

I think maybe part of what truthseeker is saying is that none of the ambitions have a ending yet. Only a content boundary until the next update. They are (possibly?) pretty close now (in terms of content, but likely not real surface world time), but you can’t actually ‘complete’ one yet if that is what you are aiming to do. Only make yourself ready for the next update.

BDR is an acronym for Bizarre, Dreaded, Respectable - they are qualities attached to certain items. The total value of all the BDR items you have equipped helps reduce the amount of Making Waves (MWs) you need to make to level up your Notability each time.

Edit: Sorry missed The3rdPolice’s reply :)

edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 1/18/2016

[quote=Nanako][quote=the truthseeker][quote=Nanako]
hahahah

Thought I’d mention that your Ambition is a long-term goal made to be done well after one is a PoSI (not a new one) with few rewards without penalties.

Lodgings help you immediately.

And what you are saving up for costs about 504.8 Echoes’ worth of stuff.

What you mentioned isn’t even accessible unless you have a ship; you can’t even continue it let alone reach its current cap (which that is,) and ships are things most new PoSI don’t have (not even able to get all the side-street documents quickly and they ask for one of each to begin with ships, and it scales up from there. But after all that, the tramp Steamer is an option before you can buy a real useful and likely +BDR Ship.)
[/quote]

What does BDR mean ?[/quote]
Bizzare, Dreaded, and Respectable. Each point you have in any of the above reduces the MW you need by one level. For notability purposes, each is a substitute for another.

I’ve been grinding Night Whispers for the Urchins for a while and I typically get max 2 Night Whispers from every 40 Tales of Terror. I have terrible luck with the RNG for grinding though. (I’m the one who spend 11 pails of snow before I got my dark carapaced crustacean.)

[quote=dov]If you’re just doing the Fidgeting Writer to get the Night Whisper then you only need to succeed in the first 5 luck checks (the full Fidgeting Writer chain needs 7 successes).

The chance of success is (very probably) 10.29%. This means that on average each ~10 Tales of Terror you start with will yield one Night-Whisper. Results will vary widely, though, so be prepared for some disappointments along the way.[/quote]