Merry gentleman not giving nightmares?

I just can’t figure out this merry gentleman fellow. If you greet him, he raises your nightmares, but upon failing the ignore him option, he leaves your nightmares the same. Is this supposed to happen? It kind of nullifies the first option.

According to the all powerful wiki that’s how it’s supposed to be. I seem to recall your nightmares raising upon failure, but apparently that has been changed. I mean it makes sense, he’s a pretty creepy dude, so if you greeted him your nightmares would surely raise. If you simply fail to ignore him, however, he won’t acknowledge you. You won’t get the full taste of his creepiness, just what’s visible on the outside, and it’s the Neath- creepy stuff is kind of the norm.
edited by Psyche Labyrinth on 1/9/2016

I think of it as the difference between “suspecting something isn’t right” and “embracing madness”. Especially given the results of successfully ignoring him.

I like that idea!

I like to ignore him but trash-talk him in my journals. Best of both worlds :P

Haha! I’ve kept my trash-talking limited to real life when him and those damn nightmare cards clog up my deck.

Haha! I’ve kept my trash-talking limited to real life when him and those damn nightmare cards clog up my deck.[/quote]

Tell me about it. I’ve been ignoring him for weeks now - when will he just get the message that nobody likes him?

Haha! I’ve kept my trash-talking limited to real life when him and those damn nightmare cards clog up my deck.[/quote]

Tell me about it. I’ve been ignoring him for weeks now - when will he just get the message that nobody likes him?[/quote]

He just hangs around and hangs around… then he leaves… all is well… then here is again, reminding me that sleep has become a challenge again… d__n you, sir!!

Tell me about it. I’ve been ignoring him for weeks now - when will he just get the message that nobody likes him?[/quote]
I like him! I don’t like his effect on my sanity, but then, that’s hardly his fault. And he certainly acts his age- he’s a paragon of sanity for it, in fact.

I like him! I don’t like his effect on my sanity, but then, that’s hardly his fault. And he certainly acts his age- he’s a paragon of sanity for it, in fact.[/quote]
Oh I love him when I visit him on my own time. Exactly the type of person I’d enjoy a close relationship with. Minus the relentless stalking. That’s what angers me! The fact that he finds it appropriate to take over all of my potential opportunities by insisting that he follow me everywhere during troubled times is very annoying…

He can also aid in Heart’s Desire. It seems that he either is or is somehow connected to the Topsy King, I can’t remember now.

Aw come on, how can you be so heartless and NOT greet him? The fella just wants you for his little collection, is all!

I’ve never really tried to figure out who (or what) he is, but I’ve always looked it in the same way as when you’re walking at night and you see some super-creepy dude ahead - and you’re like “I’m… gonna cross the street now.” rather than stick around and cross paths with this person.

Avoiding them doesn’t mean you feel any better about this thing, but it beats confronting the whatever-it-is that was walking purposefully towards you.

He’s the ex-lover of the clay men, former ruler of a prior city, and of course the manager of the royal beth.
edited by Grenem on 1/10/2016

Which is why

I particularly enjoy trash-talking him after a visit to Polythreme. As in &quotguess what unspeakable thing I did to your boyfriend this time?&quot Adding &quotI think he liked it&quot is optional :P

I can’t help it. My nightmares are always through the roof and I’ve developed an almost visceral loathing to seeing that d-bag’s card pop up :P

[quote=Kukapetal]Which is why

I particularly enjoy trash-talking him after a visit to Polythreme. As in &quotguess what unspeakable thing I did to your boyfriend this time?&quot Adding &quotI think he liked it&quot is optional :P

I can’t help it. My nightmares are always through the roof and I’ve developed an almost visceral loathing to seeing that d-bag’s card pop up :P[/quote]
So cruel! :O :)

[quote=Psyche Labyrinth][quote=Kukapetal]Which is why

I can’t help it. My nightmares are always through the roof and I’ve developed an almost visceral loathing to seeing that d-bag’s card pop up :P[/quote]
So cruel! :O :)[/quote]
I LOVE IT! Failbetter, please make this a legit story option!

[quote=Blitherington Smythe]

Isn’t he that Awkward Friend from the Flash Lay?

Actually, I really like this bloke. He has a sad story but a good attitude.
I choose to greet him every time I meet him. Cause that’s just the guy I am.
Stupid.

I’ve read some time ago on the forums a spoiler as to the potential real (or, actually, mythical) identity of this gentleman, and it blew my mind (it was like reading an actual Searing Enigma on the forums!).

You need to understand a bit of First City lore and meet his previous lover as part of the Heart’s Desire Ambition, but if so it’s possible to make the connection to certain… Gilgameshian characters

Not something I would have ever figured out on my own.

Apparently, the physical representation of insanity is also susceptible to bribes of gemstones. Then again, who isn’t?