May Exceptional Story: The Stag and the Shark

I… feel a bit cheated. I wanted to keep the lad safe so let the baron catch up, and when I read about the golden eyes I assumed she was a devil. To learn there was a whole other act to the story that I skipped from doing what I considered the responsible thing makes me feel rather rough.

If it helps, the ‘whole other act’ is like 2-3 storylets at most before you are on your way back home, and they aren’t exactly long ones either. You did miss something cool, but more in implication than substance.

Wow, I’m glad my choices ended up being pretty satisfying, story-wise.

I don’t know anything about the New Sequencers (guess I just never ended up playing the right storyline?) and I took the Heir’s place, so I guess that’s bad for me, maybe, theoretically, eventually? It was interesting at least seeing them from the sidelines.

I ended up going all in for the Heir, because his dad is a loathsome overweening rich guy, and the Fisher, well, she had tortured the Bound-Sharks to give them purpose, and I figured that’s what she was about to do to the heir, and that seemed shitty. The Heir was at least innocent and doing his best.

The path led to what I thought was an extremely satisfying ending – the Heir finally waking up a bit to who he had been, and deciding he needed to detach himself from everything he’d been part of and find a new path.

Sounds like I got pretty lucky in terms of finding the ending satisfying, even if it did something-or-other to my character because Geode.

In retrospect, it’s a good lesson that if you take a passive approach to life, you end up with an uninteresting story. :)

Even though she missed the New Sequence completely, I think Caroline is happy with the results

a member of the Stags was upset and humiliated, another stag was deeply annoyed, the shark torturer died horribly, and her brain did not become a plaything of the Dawn Machine

All in all a successful outing.

I completely understood the Idle Heir. I’ve been in his shoes before. Seeing how the other Stags treated him hurt my soul.

Can someone PM me what happens if you let the Idle Heir spear the shark and return home safely with his prize? I lamented the fact I had inadvertently destroyed his harpoon!

Actually, devils are usually described as having yellow eyes, while the New Sequencers described here are described as having eyes with golden flecks–that’s rather different.

Traded the Baron’s secrets for the Heir. Think I got the ending Martzel would have been the most happy with. Mirrored it on my profile if anyone is interested in that.

I’m only getting the sign-in page – ?

I’m only getting the sign-in page – ?[/quote]
Same here.

You need to change your profile signature so that it no longer points to the StoryNexus link. Just change the beginning from fallenlondon.storynexus.com to www.fallenlondon.com

I really enjoyed this, uncovering everyones motives and agendas was fun, and there was a lot of opportunity for roleplaying.

I have no idea what was going on at the end,so I went with &quotthat sounds like a cult… let’s not&quot.

I’d suggest some assistance from gallblighter wasps as well.

This was my first story, and I enjoyed it, but felt a little constrained on my actions - would have picked ‘none of the above’ quite a few times, and sure as hell wouldn’t of let that * go break the harpoon!

An OK story, but there’s not much to it.

I didn’t connect with any of the characters, so I didn’t particularly care what happens to them. The hints about the Fisher were interesting at first, but didn’t really lead to anything significant. The ending was also pretty abrupt, considering that only in the last 2-3 storylets anything of consequence actually happened.

Personal ranked list of all Exceptional Stories:

Masterpiece:

• Cricket, Anyone?

Excellent:

• Lost in Reflections[/li][li]Cut with Moonlight[/li][li]Hojotoho![/li][li]For All The Saints[/li][li]The Frequently Deceased[/li][li]The Waltz that Moved the World[/li][li]Steeped in Honey[/li][li]Flint[/li][li]All Things Must End[/li][li]Written In The Glim[/li][li]The Century Exhibition[/li][li]The Twelve-Fifteen From Moloch Street[/li][li]The Persona Engine[/li][li]Where You and I Must Go[/li][li]The Sinking Synod[/li][li]A Little Pandemonium[/li][li]The Attendants

Good:

• Noises From Upstairs[/li][li]The Murgatroyd Formula[/li][li]Lamentation Lock[/li][li]The Web of the Motherlings[/li][li]The Pentecost Predicament[/li][li]The Calendar Code[/li][li]Daylight[/li][li]The Rat-Catcher[/li][li]The Art of Murder[/li][li]The Chimney Pot Wars[/li][li]The Final Curtain[/li][li]Tauroktonos[/li][li]The Magician’s Dream[/li][li]The Bones of London[/li][li]The Heart, the Devil and the Zee

OK:

• The Stag and the Shark[/li][li]The Price of Loss[/li][li]Our Lady of Pyres[/li][li]Required Repairs[/li][li]The Clay Man’s Arm[/li][li]Five Minutes to Midday[/li][li]Discernment[/li][li]The Haunting at the Marsh House[/li][li]The Pursuit of Moths[/li][li]Factory of Favours

Meh:

• Trial and Error[/li][li]The Last Dog Society[/li][li]The Seven-Day Reign[/li][li]The Court of Cats

Terrible:

• The Stone Guest

Just a quick question - I’ve read somewhere that this ES can reward one with an Element of Dawn. Can someone tell me which ending might provide that? It is one of the few more esoteric items I’ve been missing in my collection and I’m anxious to know if I can obtain it without sacrificing an innocent man (or worse, myself!) to the Sequence…