Marsh Mired and UP

Since Rudolph is a young POSI I was thinking of moving through Seeking at a reasonable pace. It’s currently set at 5 Seeking.

Anyways, my questions are:

1. How can you grind UP? Wouldn’t that clog your deck with cards?
  2. Is it less punishing to use Marsh-Mired cards than the Seeking Road options?
  3. What is the least punishing grind option in the Seeking Road?

Duchess’s Salon is a pretty good option, as long as you can get the first two points of Peckish. There should be an ominous third option at her salon at the Palace.

The best way I know of is to have a Starveling Cat and get up to the Bats and Cats option in the Flit. Talking to the Starveling Cat there gives +3 UP per action, so 3 plays of those and you’re all set to get any of the cards.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 6/22/2016

#3: “Drown your secrets”. The Watchful challenge rapidly becomes extremely difficult, but it’s still an order of magnitude cheaper than the only-slightly-easier checks for using Mourning Candles or Searing Enigmas – and it won’t tank your Watchful like blackening your mind will.

As a side note; I’ve done the method that Sara Hysaro suggested, and now have a question. Is it feasible for a Seeker with a cat to, say, use the Bats and Cats option three times to go full throttle just after TTH arrives, use their Marsh-Mired option of choice to level SMEN, then immediately use all of the options to reduce their opportunities deck so that it isn’t cluttered with useless SMEN cards for the other six days of the week? I feel as though it should work, I would just be interested to know whether anyone else does this.

I have used this exact strategy and it works well.

[quote=Pyrodinium]Since Rudolph is a young POSI I was thinking of moving through Seeking at a reasonable pace. It’s currently set at 5 Seeking.

3. What is the least punishing grind option in the Seeking Road?[/quote]
  4. there are sustainable ways to mitigate your UP. If it’s availible, the best one is mrs. plenty’s food stand- good epa, relatively speaking, and it takes 2 levels UP. use the starveling cat to go up, the food stand to go down. It’ll still crowd your deck, and later on expect to have to do lots of shenanigans or suffer through cards- especially when you only can use the last card.
  5. up to 21, drowning secrets is least punishing- though you want to use marsh-mired as late into any given instance as possible as the prices increase linearly and the difficulty increases linearly. once you hit 21, try to con someone into giving you a calling card from eaten and go to winking isle. this will save you 4 challenges you will mostly fail even at stat-cap, and/or let you put off getting candles more. Not nearly as good as it used to be- but still quite good.

[quote=An Individual]

I have used this exact strategy and it works well.[/quote] Excellent, that’s good to know. I’ll give that a try this week.

[quote=Grenem][quote=Pyrodinium]Since Rudolph is a young POSI I was thinking of moving through Seeking at a reasonable pace. It’s currently set at 5 Seeking.

3. What is the least punishing grind option in the Seeking Road?[/quote]
  4. there are sustainable ways to mitigate your UP. If it’s availible, the best one is mrs. plenty’s food stand- good epa, relatively speaking, and it takes 2 levels UP. use the starveling cat to go up, the food stand to go down. It’ll still crowd your deck, and later on expect to have to do lots of shenanigans or suffer through cards- especially when you only can use the last card.
  5. up to 21, drowning secrets is least punishing- though you want to use marsh-mired as late into any given instance as possible as the prices increase linearly and the difficulty increases linearly. once you hit 21, try to con someone into giving you a calling card from eaten and go to winking isle. this will save you 4 challenges you will mostly fail even at stat-cap, and/or let you put off getting candles more. Not nearly as good as it used to be- but still quite good.[/quote]
    Just for reference, it’s on the First Coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers in the &quotTake some refreshment&quot option. At the cost of 50 jade (50 pence) you lose 1 cp of Wounds, lose 2 UP, get a small increase to Dangerous, and receive 3 Incendiary Gossip (1.5 echoes) should you succeed the Dangerous challenge. Pretty good way of reducing it, all things considered.

If you have access to a Statveling Cat and the Bats and Cats storyline in the Flit, you can use your Starveling Cat to get 3 levels of UP per action within the Cats options.

If you have access to the First Coil of the Labrynth, you can take Refreshments to lose 2 levels of UP per action.

The 7,8, and 9 UP cards have Marsh Mired options that are not harmful. I suggest using those each week. If you have Appalling Secrets, I suggest using those to increase your SMEN in the lower levels, before it becomes obscenely expensive.