Making Waves in a Watchful Way

Does anyone know of a Watchful way of Making Waves?

Or, Dangerous?

Or even Shadowy…

Basically anything that isn’t Persuasive.

Item conversions - particularly Mysteries items - will increase MW.

Chess matches and sparring bouts give MW to the winner.

Some of the faction cards (Church, docks, etc) give MW and I think some of them might raise stats as well.

Completing some things like printing a Newspaper or A Shrine of the Deep Blue Heaven archaeological expedition give some MW as well.

My Shadowy way to raise MW is a tad convoluted, but is useful if you want to get the 5-card lodging that uses the Impossible Theroem.

Step 1: Raise Casing in the Flit with your most cost effective option (I use Gang of Hoodlums, but thats expensive to make)
2. Use the Casing to grab Tales of Terror
3. Convert Tales of Terror to Extraordinary Implications (gaining MW and some wine)
4. Convert Extraordinary Implications to Uncanny Incabalulbulas :P
5. Use those Uncany to make Searing Enigmas

You’ll need to go to raise connections to the Univeristy every once and a while, but thats neither hear nor there

[quote=Myke Harryson]
2. Use the Casing to grab Tales of Terror[/quote]

Can you give a tad more detail here? Thanks :)

I don’t know if it counts as ‘Shadowy’ per se, given that I only use Shadowy once for each heist, but I got most of my Making Waves for my last level of Notability by doing triple-secured heists in the Flit. Got 2 CPs Making Waves for every level of The Burglar’s Progress at the end of each heist, so that was 10-14 CPs every 13.8 Actions, and better Echoes/Action than my usual Collections of Curiosities.

It just takes a lot of attention to click on the almost empty deck every ten minutes until my hand has been filled up with the cards I don’t want to play. One could skip that and accept slightly more Actions per heist by letting one’s hand fill up with cards that one would’ve wanted to not just play but also replay if they could’ve been drawn again. But I feel that if something is worth doing, it’s worth doing right.

[quote=Ewan C.][quote=Myke Harryson]
2. Use the Casing to grab Tales of Terror[/quote]

Can you give a tad more detail here? Thanks :)[/quote]

Under the Thefts of a Particular Character (you’ll need 10 points of Casing) the first option (it should have the image of Tales of Terror). It will give 25 Tales of Terror per use. It tends to knock it down to around to 6 or so.

Heists also raise Shadowy at the end, so I think that counts as Shadowy even if you can avoid using it ever.

Donating expedition treasures to the university gives Making Waves I believe.

Some of the lodging cards let you trade items (off the top of my head, Parabola Linen, Searing Enigmas, and Favours in High Places for Making Waves)
edited by WormApotheote on 9/11/2014

[quote=WormApotheote]Heists also raise Shadowy at the end, so I think that counts as Shadowy even if you can avoid using it ever.[/quote]Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. Shadowy +20 CP per heist.

[quote=WormApotheote]
Some of the lodging cards let you trade items (off the top of my head, Parabola Linen, Searing Enigmas, and Favours in High Places for Making Waves)[/quote]

It’s the &quotCottage by the Observatory&quot lodging which gives the card with the Searing Enigma trade option ( specifically, http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Invite_guests_from_the_observatory_to_a_symposium ). It’s a ‘Scholar of the Correspondence’ challenge and the only stats required for the prerequisites are Watchful and Dangerous. You keep the Enigma if you fail, too.

To finish up the list:

The lair in the marshes lets you trade Parabola Linen
The gambling den lets you trade Nights on the Town
The rooftop shack lets you trade Favours in High Places.

Also I think I heard the four card lodgings give options too but I don’t have any of those yet

Four/Five card dwellings:

The Royal Bethlehem lodgings trade a Bejewelled Lens
The Brass Embassy lodgings trade a Portfolio of Souls and an Airag
The Bazaar lodgings trade a Personal Recommendation, a Collection of Curiosities and LOTS of Connected Society

From my personal experience they aren’t really worth it

[quote=Dave Mongoose]Four/Five card dwellings:

The Royal Bethlehem lodgings trade a Bejewelled Lens
The Brass Embassy lodgings trade a Portfolio of Souls and an Airag
The Bazaar lodgings trade a Personal Recommendation, a Collection of Curiosities and LOTS of Connected Society

From my personal experience they aren’t really worth it[/quote]

• It depends. For the Bazaar Premises option, if you have loads of Connected Society and the means to get more Pers. Recommendations/Coll. of Curiosities, 100+ CP of Making Waves isn’t bad; especially for characters that do not have a Salon/Orphanage![/li][/ul][ul][li]The same goes for the Bethlehem card, if you take the time to grind for a few Bejewelled Lenses first, you can then trade each of them in for about 60 CP.[/li][/ul][ul][li]The Brass Embassy option however really isn’t worth it because it’s a luck check with &quotthe odds strongly against you&quot and if you’re unsuccessful you get 1CP of MW and still lose your Portfolio and Airag!

edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 9/12/2014

I could swear the one time I did it I got a single CP… maybe I’m wrong, or it was changed since then? But it definitely wasn’t a lot…
Edit: According to the wiki, success gives &quot24-45 CP&quot…
[li]
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 9/12/2014

A related question, are there any repeatable storylets that give making waves that AREN’T the ones in the court?

Obvs. I could rely on heists/expeditions/parties when they turn up and social actions but is there anything like the single action storylet that gives +1 cp mw on success?
edited by WormApotheote on 9/12/2014

Veilgarden honey dens, swap cheap wine for honey - gives 1CP each time I think. You need lots of wine, but the honey converts into romantic notions which swaps for &quota genuinely epic quantity of wine&quot from Mr Wines’ sale, so you can run a booze->drugs->love->booze loop!

[quote=WormApotheote]A related question, are there any repeatable storylets that give making waves that AREN’T the ones in the court?

Obvs. I could rely on heists/expeditions/parties when they turn up and social actions but is there anything like the single action storylet that gives +1 cp mw on success?
edited by WormApotheote on 9/12/2014[/quote]

Some item conversions are good, I’ve heard. One alternative is to bulk convert cryptic clues into tales of terror via appalling secrets, then converting those sideways to memories of light and then selling those for cryptic clues. The wiki guide and searching for Making Waves will find you the others.

Yes. Besides the wine to honey already mentioned, there are 3 different 3-action options in The Singing Mandrake in Veilgarden. They all use fairly expensive items though, so I only use that when I’m going to fall short of the next Notability level through less costly means before Time comes around.

Those don’t really compare to the ones in court, since they have a cost, the ones in court are free and give you a small profit as a result. (although they do seem to give MORE mw than the ones in court, at least)