Making my name?

Same question. I’ve been doing both for quite some time now, very off and on. I don’t really like the idea of them being separated, but it’s not the worst thing ever (being locked out of University term passing stuff is far more punishing, and that’s been the case for the entire time I’ve played).

More importantly, though: are the Society/Bohemian-grinding options locked out (as well as the Duchess’ awesome salon --which, btw, failbetter please don’t permanently lock! :'( )? Or was that a temporary issue?

Having those grinding options available is currently pretty damn vital, to be frank, given how Salons work. If replacements are on the way, that’s cool, but I don’t really want to be stuck without them in the interim.

I think that might’ve been a temporary issue, since my main is all finished with the Persuasive track and can still use the Duchess’ Salon and entry to the Duchess’ Salon options.

Nice! Thank you! That’s a huge relief. :) Both for grinding purposes, and text purposes re: Salon. (I do occasionally play the Unaccountably Peckish Salon option for no other reason than just to read the text~)

I don’t know for certain, but my Memento of Passion still has the option to sell it, and still says that doing so will allow me to attempt other avenues at Court. So a good guess is that this choice probably won’t completely lock you out of the romance storyline, though you might have to start over from the beginning.

Dammit all to hell, this update has confudled me no end, I decided to go back to an earlier phase of Veilgarden to see if there was some snippet of fun i may have missed and now im stuck writing about Honey!.. and locked out of the Shuttered Palace too. I gather im waiting on the Jewel Thief and the Heiress to throw themselves upon me but… i erm was rather nasty to them and ditched them and have the Bitter Partings quality.

I feel like im now stuck in some honey addled nightmare trawling the backstreets of Veilgarden in a drunken stupor waiting to get humped by folks that hate me, its rather unpleasant and far too reminiscent of real life.

If my Jewel Thief / Heiress quality is 7 and my Bitter Parting quality is 1. Will i ever see them again? oh how i need a hug :(

Check this thread for some tips regarding getting set to the wrong point in the storyline, plus the bug report email if you’re thoroughly stuck!

Ah, thanks for that clarification.

Not ideal, though… No luck for me on an Heiress 7 either.

In fact, I wonder if something is bugged here, at least for me. I’ve gotten lots of the Jewel Thief cards, and I’m not really interested in them. I chose the card option to blow him off about a month ago, and it looks like that storylet progress was reset. The Heiress storylet was not.
edited by Paegrin on 8/8/2015

All right, I’m a little stumped. I set mine incorrectly - my Persuasive is in the low 60s, but I’ve been having trouble with early Shuttered Palace content, so I foolishly assumed that if I set myself to an earlier stage I’d be able to replay content and grind up some more. So I’m now at 2, and I have no idea how to proceed from here.

I gathered that I’m supposed to write a short story to get to the next level - and I’ve written two today (one competent, one compelling) with nothing to show for it. Do I need to shoot for thrilling? I don’t want to throw all of my Romantic Notions and Tales of Terror at this thing for naught.

Garrr, a named signed with a flourish 4 unlocks Invited to a revel of the masters again. yuck.

[quote=Arkadian]All right, I’m a little stumped. I set mine incorrectly - my Persuasive is in the low 60s, but I’ve been having trouble with early Shuttered Palace content, so I foolishly assumed that if I set myself to an earlier stage I’d be able to replay content and grind up some more. So I’m now at 2, and I have no idea how to proceed from here.

I gathered that I’m supposed to write a short story to get to the next level - and I’ve written two today (one competent, one compelling) with nothing to show for it. Do I need to shoot for thrilling? I don’t want to throw all of my Romantic Notions and Tales of Terror at this thing for naught.[/quote]

OK, figured this out: you need a story with 40 potential, but it doesn’t get converted into a short story item. When you go to complete your work, instead of the existing branches that let you choose from various acceptable-to-masterful-to-classic options, there’s a new branch called &quotMake Your Name: Publish Your Story&quot that goes to the next phase of the tracker. Don’t waste a whole lot of potential on this – pages and potential are reset!
edited by metasynthie on 8/8/2015

[quote=metasynthie]
OK, figured this out: you need a story with 40 potential, but it doesn’t get converted into a short story item. When you go to complete your work, instead of the existing branches that let you choose from various acceptable-to-masterful-to-classic options, there’s a new branch called &quotMake Your Name: Publish Your Story&quot that goes to the next phase of the tracker. Don’t waste a whole lot of potential on this – pages and potential are reset!
edited by metasynthie on 8/8/2015[/quote]

You are brilliant. Thank you!

[quote=Grove]Garrr, a named signed with a flourish 4 unlocks Invited to a revel of the masters again. yuck.[/quote]Discovered that as well. Currently holding it in my hand until I find a way to lock it again.

[quote=Kaigen]]Discovered that as well. Currently holding it in my hand until I find a way to lock it again.[/quote]I don’t think you’ll be able to lock it again. So if you don’t want to keep it around for the Hedonist + Scandal option it’s probably better to proceed and get a card with Standard frequency rather than Frequent frequency.

Logging on this morning, I now see the Jack-of-Smiles dreadful storylet. Interesting.

It would be nice if getting to the higher numbers of this property leads you to locking out some of the spam and junk cards in the deck.

What with the way the deck is changing…

For better or worse, I’m starting again from the lowest tier and due to confusion I’ve already used the one time access code. How do you progress in A Name Signed With A Flourish from 1 to 2?

I think I’ve redone all the relevant storylets, the Honey Sipping Heiress is still 7 from before the update, and I’ve just brought the Jewel-Thief up to 7.

Edit: Just read the previous advice about needing to draw a random opp card… Hmmm, how is this considered to be an improvement in user experience (compared to before)? It’s not exactly obvious.

edited by Umbra on 8/9/2015

[quote=Umbra]For better or worse, I’m starting again from the lowest tier and due to confusion I’ve already used the one time access code. How do you progress in A Name Signed With A Flourish from 1 to 2?

I think I’ve redone all the relevant storylets, the Honey Sipping Heiress is still 7 from before the update, and I’ve just brought the Jewel-Thief up to 7.

Edit: Just read the previous advice about needing to draw a random opp card… Hmmm, how is this considered to be an improvement in user experience (compared to before)? It’s not exactly obvious.

edited by Umbra on 8/9/2015[/quote]

This is what i did Umbra, after some slight confusion and a few days doing the rounds in Veilgarden im back bootlicking in the court and had a little extra fun along the way. This whole process was far too confusing though., Now if only i could rid myself of these Bitter Parting qualities i could bed these toffs again… sigh

Given half a chance I’d start over from the court, but I’d start over completely if I had to.

“bitter parting” … would that keep the card from showing up? How do I get it?

I’m not sure which card you’re having issues with, but there are two Bitter Parting qualities - Master Jewel Thief and Celebrated Artist’s Model. You can get it by other strongly cutting ties with them on their POSI cards, or by divorcing them if you’ve already married one of the two.

Just noticed something and bopped myself in the head for not noticing it earlier: the opportunity cards that previously appeared at Honey-Sipping Heiress 7 and Honey-Sipping Jewel-Thief 7 have been converted into storylets that are available in Veilgarden at those quality levels. If you’re stuck at 7, go look for storylets there.

Not sure about the level 6 cards – those may still be cards (haven’t checked yet).

There appear to be two different sets of branches in these storylets, depending on your Name Signed with a Flourish quality; if you have it at 1, it looks like any option on this storylet (success or fail) will trigger the Must storylet that takes you to NSwaF 2. If you have NSwaF of 2 or more, it looks like it works much the same as the cards did (resets the Seduction quality to 2 or 0, depending).
edited by metasynthie on 8/10/2015