Lost at Zee?

I have had the peculiar luck of gaining Troubled Waters 11 while letting my Approaching Journey’s End dwindle to naught. My luck changed, however, when I turned up a red-bordered Opportunity called “Fury of the Unterzee: Lost, Forever Lost”. I can recommend this course to anyone who finds themselves in such straits. In fact, if one’s Troubled Waters is relatively high, one may wish to court precisely these circumstances…
edited by benostrowsky on 12/20/2011

It also resets your Approaching Journey’s End to level 5, so if you’re already close to your destination you might want to wait for a friendly corvette instead.

So Lost, forever Lost can increase your AJE to 5, as well as decrease? Well worth knowing. I’m impressed though that you were in a position to find this helpful! Just bad luck on the cards/storylets?

No, I was deliberately provoking Mr Waves in order to find some breeding stock.

How useful!

I have now spent 3 days of actions lost on the Unterzee. Naught but bad luck, as soon as my journey’s end gets over 8, my choices lead only to ruin and loss. At this stage, I am hoping that one of Her Majesty’s Corvettes will drag me to New Newgate!

http://echobazaar.wikidot.com/tips-for-buying-a-ship-and-exploring-the-unterzee

In short, don’t use any “fury of the Unterzee” cards! The “Sail Boldly” storylet is your friend (until you are looking for a plated seal).

[quote=PhineasJButler]How useful!

I have now spent 3 days of actions lost on the Unterzee. Naught but bad luck, as soon as my journey’s end gets over 8, my choices lead only to ruin and loss. At this stage, I am hoping that one of Her Majesty’s Corvettes will drag me to New Newgate![/quote]

To get across the unterzee most effectively, use the following cards: Calm Seas: Fair Zailing, Calm Seas: A Huge Terrible Beast of the Unterzee!, The Fleet of Truth, The Clinging Coral Mass, Calm Seas: A Steamer Full of Passengers, Calm Seas: A Spit of Land. These all give you more progress towards Journey’s End than Troubled Waters - if you pass the challenges. When you get out of Calm Seas, and into Lashing Waves, you can use the one that’s a ship full of zealots.

Those are the ones I know; there may be others. (I know there’s one more that will cost you either Magnanimous or Heartless or something like that, which I don’t use because it costs me qualities. I don’t know what Lashing Waves cards to use, either, I mostly stay in Calm Seas. In Fury of the Unterzee, the card Lost, Forever Lost resets your Troubled Waters to zero while setting your Approaching Journey’s End to 5, which then gives you enough leeway to get to JE9 before your TW gets too high again.)

Since you can never have duplicates of cards in your hand, you should always keep three OTHER cards in your hand, to increase the probability that the fourth one is useful.

Of course, it’s always fun to explore, so try out the different Fury of the Unterzee cards! But don’t expect them to get you to your destination.
edited by M_L_G on 12/28/2011