Losing your soul?

I’ve grown very, um, close with certain devils of my acquaintance, and the insistent buggers keep trying to get me to give up my soul. I’m wondering if it’s a really bad idea to do that, or is it just another game path like any other? Thanks.

There is not much “content” unlocked for losing your soul, if that’s what you are asking. (Unless you are going to spend 15 fate to retrieve your soul, but it is nothing special)
You are merely barred from doing some profitable storylets in the University, and also barred from doing a few storylet now and then. No particularly big difference, although what little differences the soulless have are almost all negative.

As the formerly soulless I can tell you there is nothing particularly wrong with going soulless. It doesn’t do much for you storywise, but it doesn’t particularly hinder you either except in certain situations, such as any dealings with Summerset University. As such if you are actually interested in selling your soul I’d advise against doing so until after you’ve completed any business you may have there. On a related note though if you don’t want to give up your soul until you’re good and ready, I’d avoid letting your infernal acquaintances bring up the subject in your presence any longer. Though it’s a bit of a rare event, there is always a chance they’ll persuade you before you’ve really had the chance to think it over. That’s what had happened to me, and though I didn’t particularly mind the state (I don’t recall minding much of anything at the time) I was rather insulted that they hadn’t let me make the choice properly of my own free will and ended up spending precious fate to recover it.

OK thanks a lot for the info. I’m particularly keen to explore the university (I’ve just gotten into the forgotten quarter), so I’ll tell those nasty devils to go bottle someone else’s soul ;)

The Intimate with Devils storylet is also one of the very few ways to raise your Austere to double digits. I would suggest you just lead the poor Devils on, as it were, letting their pleasure wane and wax for as long as you can to up that particular quirk.

I have been teasing those poor devils for a while as I tried to decide whether to chance losing my soul or not, that’s why I finally decided to come here and ask what the consequences were. I suppose I’ve built up a bit of austere, but I’m a much more hedonistic sort.

As mentioned be careful you don’t lose your soul by accident if you don’t actually want to. There are a couple of storylets that open up when you have Your Very Own Infernal Contract, but not too terribly many. I also belief the Affection Devil will give you some Devil Bone Dice, which aren’t worth terribly much, but it is the only way you’ll get them.

It’s not a huge issue and you can always spend the Fate to get your soul back later if you find you want it.

If you ever have an interest, in doing something remarkable stupid, like searching for The Name, i’d advise against selling your soul… You’ll need that later, and it costs fate and money to retrieve it!

I am currently souless and, aside from not being able to attend a few dinners, have not found it unpleasant at all. Then again, I don’t feel much of anything after losing it… But, the money was quite nice. I do enjoy that.

15 Echos is pretty good, but really, Echoes aren’t that important until you become a PoSI, and when you’re a PoSI there are better ways to get Echoes that don’t require being soulless.

Now I finally got a devil to come to my lodgings and make me a proper offer.
I think I’ll just keep getting gifts of adoration instead LOL

Thanks again to everyone for the replies. This was my first post and I’m glad to see this is
a nice helpful community. Which is what i would have expected for such a cool game :)

Cheers,
Humbert P Squigglesworth
edited by robodok on 7/21/2012

Just chiming in very late – I’m currently soulless for business purposes, which sounds like a horrible joke, but it means I can get quite a few souls and contracts from the Someone Is Coming card. (Whether I will spend this bounty on lodgings or give them to my friends at the CVR I do not know, but I find myself more frequently in need of souls than in need of my own soul.)

I tend to take roleplaying choices. So my one char who started as shadowy/dangerous main stats sold his soul while my prim and proper lady still has hers and is almost at content boundry

One question, once you’ve stained your soul, should you lose it for any reason, you can recover it by pretending the starveling cat got it right? Meaning that you should not lose your soul before getting your first stain…

I agree. When your Intimate with Devils rises high enough that you only get the cards urging you to surrender your soul, you can simply discard them instead of playing them.

You can, but you’ll have to pay about 15 Fate to go on the quest to get it back. If you are souless while seeking the name, you won’t be able to stain it and so will have to get it back before you can become the number.
That is, if you are fooling enough to do such a thing.

You can, but you’ll have to pay about 15 Fate to go on the quest to get it back. If you are souless while seeking the name, you won’t be able to stain it and so will have to get it back before you can become the number.
That is, if you are fooling enough to do such a thing.[/quote]
I guess you didn’t understand me.

You embark in the search for that name. You reach the stage where you must stain your soul. Once you’ve got at least one stain, the next time you lose your soul (the the devils, to whatever), you select the option “That vile beast took it”. You’ll eventually recover it without having to pay fate (though you will need a Starveling Cat or pay fate to advance)

Again, the intimate with devils may lock before you can actually reach that state while seeking that name.
edited by Vyrlokar on 8/15/2012

Nigel Overstreet: Really? I’m currently searching the name and I really wandered how to stain my soul like the wikis tell me I should do… yes, I’m soulless.

I think it really isn’t fair that I need to pay fate while others don’t have to just because I made different decisions on different stages of the game :(

[quote=Voodoo Master]Nigel Overstreet: Really? I’m currently searching the name and I really wandered how to stain my soul like the wikis tell me I should do… yes, I’m soulless.

I think it really isn’t fair that I need to pay fate while others don’t have to just because I made different decisions on different stages of the game :([/quote]

Seeking the Name and expecting it to be fair is your first mistake. :) But yes, you do need to retrieve your soul in order to stain it.

OK, so sounds like I was better off keeping my soul after all. After it’s stained I may let the devils have the bloody thing ;)