Looking for Lilac

Thought it would be fun for us to have a special thread we’re we can complain about how much the RNG hates us over the course of The Feast of the Exceptional Rose. I so far have drawn the Portly Sommelier three times, and had to spend the better part of yesterday grinding wines, when I only got the Feast card once and have yet to see Lilac.[li]

I currently have twenty-three Gifts of Scorn to cash in (the Masquing cap for these is actually twenty) and I have yet to encounter the woman once. In all of my card-flippery since yesterday, I’ve only drawn the Encounter card twice (I’m actually holding it in my hand now, and I got some Masquing pretty early) and the Feast! card about as much.

I’m half-considering nuking all of my connections and selling all of my pets to make this easier.

EDIT: I just remembered that it is possible to Favorable Circumstance her. Still, the RNG can be a frustrating devil.
edited by OPG on 2/15/2014

[quote=OPG]
I’m half-considering nuking all of my connections and selling all of my pets to make this easier.[/quote]

do this, and never look back. you don’t need those friends, what you need is CARDS

2 days of constant flipping, finally got the Encounter card today (hold it!); neither hide nor hair of the lady in lavender.

Is it possible that there is a technical problem that is resulting in the cards not being drawn as often as they should be? I have also been getting a lot of cards that are abundantly available all the time (connections cards, lodgings cards, intimate of devils, etc etc) and I have also only drawn lilac once and the feast card once.

I don’t remember from my last use of lilac, can you only turn in one gift at a time or can you turn in multiple gifts from one draw? I really hope it’s the latter!

You can turn in as many gifts as you like at once, yeah.
I can’t really speak for the underpinnings of the engine, but cards with higher rarities usually do actually show up noticeably more often (just try drawing cards above Nightmares 5 and see how long it takes for the Merry Gentleman to show up!) and rare cards are also properly rare… I think it may just be a case, as ever, of the Fallen London RNG being sentient, malevolent and telepathic.

[quote=Asami Sato]Is it possible that there is a technical problem that is resulting in the cards not being drawn as often as they should be? I have also been getting a lot of cards that are abundantly available all the time (connections cards, lodgings cards, intimate of devils, etc etc) and I have also only drawn lilac once and the feast card once.
[/quote]

[li]
I have actually been wondering this myself. I know the RNG can be annoying at times, but Lilac is supposed to have a frequent frequency, yet I have not seen her once on any of my three characters.

Frequent frequency is only twice as frequent as Standard frequency, I think. The problem is, there are a lot of Standard cards.
edited by Spacemarine9 on 2/15/2014

Aha! She finally arrived! Perhaps Lilac browses this forum and took pity on me because of my incessant whining.

I think the issue with Lilac is simply the sheer volume of other cards that most players have in their decks. Its like adding a few drops of strong acid to 10 gallons of water. No matter how strong the acid is, its effect is minimal because of how much else there is.

I swear, the Lady in Lavender sure knows how to become the most wanted and desired person in all of London!

[quote=Spacemarine9][quote=OPG]
I’m half-considering nuking all of my connections and selling all of my pets to make this easier.[/quote]

do this, and never look back. you don’t need those friends, what you need is CARDS[/quote]
not sure if trolling. but i lost all my bats and weasels and the lizards, when i opened up mahogany hall. i don’t think i can nuke the albino rat or the watchmaker’s hill pet.

as for connections, i had to spend a lot of time increasing my criminals yesterday , so i could play the gold POSI card which keeps popping up! the card that opens up the storylet to gain a gang of hoodlums. i like my connections. wish there was some way to sell lodgings though. or destroy some of the story qualities that pop cards with low rewards.
edited by DamWei on 2/16/2014

No, really, if you get rid of huge chunks of your Connections you get rid of conflict cards, which sum up to a hell of a lot of deck spam. Getting rid of pets with cards, likewise. (you can actually get rid of your Watchmaker’s Hill pet, there’s an option on the card itself, but if you hang out in spite/watchmakers/veilgarden/ladybones you’ll draw a card to get a new one anyway, so…)
The less cards in your deck, the more likely you are to get the cards you want! I think.

don’t you need to reduce connections to below 10 for the conflict card to stop coming up? cashing them out requires at least 15 connected.i only know how to reduce docks and society to zero. and society/bohemia/duchess is needed to enter the court?

Below 5, actually, but if you use the 15-connected cash out at 15 exactly then you’ll be put below 5. So it’s just a matter of calibrating things til it works properly

On one of my accounts, I somehow managed to draw Lilac up three times in the row even though I don’t want anymore companions from that card since he’s happy what he has so far. (Besides a certain Stiff-Backed Lady but, er, she’s out of his league as well as mine.)

Meanwhile the rest of my accounts are drawing up all sorts of rare cards (Helen managed to get the unsigned message a few times and a visit for her Notability) but no Lilac. RNG.

[quote=&quotMany&quot Chin]don’t you need to reduce connections to below 10 for the conflict card to stop coming up? cashing them out requires at least 15 connected.i only know how to reduce docks and society to zero. and society/bohemia/duchess is needed to enter the court?[/quote]Below 5, and you’d only need to reduce a few key factions, since both sides need to be 5+ to trigger the conflict card. The urchins are involved in three conflicts, but they were needed for pails of lacre.

You only need the Duchess to enter court, and she’s not involved in any conflicts. Bohemians are only in conflict with the Church, which is another faction with three conflicts. The third faction with three conflicts is the Rubbery Men. So to avoid all conflict cards you could just reduce Church, Rubbery Men, Tomb-Colonists (or Society) and Urchins.

Here’s the best ‘map’ this forum will allow, where the adjacent factions are in conflict with each other. Hell acts like a ‘conflict bridge’ between two clusters. Interesting…

Bohemian
The Church — The Great Game
Hell
Urchins — The Widow
The Docks

Constables
Rubbery Men — Revolutionaries
The Tomb-Colonies
Society

Still waiting to see that lovely splash of purple. Turning plenty of eyeless skull cards though, drat them. (I know, I should sell the skulls, but I only have 2, I was hoping to hold out until 5)

It seems that Lilac is our Heart’s Desire.

I’ve seen Lilac a few times, although since I have 89 Masquing left over from last year I haven’t needed her services. In turn, however, it has been over a month since I’ve seen the Portly Sommelier and I have FIFTEEN bottles of Airag I want to give him, and fifteen cellars of wine for more of the stuff. I am going to go mad and die of age before I see him.

Edit: spelling.
edited by The Incorrigible Raconteur on 2/16/2014