Little secrets

Me too! Me too pleeze!

Me too, please.

[quote=Twoflower][quote=Valquinn][quote=Twoflower][quote=Valquinn]I am fairly new here . One thing I wnt to find out is why there are no foxes in the Neath? What are the foxfire candles made of? What are really the glim? The jade is really souls? Why the drownies act so different from other "people that had experienced death? let’s say tomb-colonists? and many other perhaps tiny but interest secrets…[/quote]’

If you’re pursing the Light Fingers ambition, you’ll learn about glim and the Drownies.[/quote]
Oh… I’m pursuing Hearts’s Desire…[/quote]

If you’d like, I can PM you the info.[/quote]
ok… though i’m new to the forum…

Perhaps there’s an answer to this somewhere, but I remember a card which gives the opportunity to search for “Mr. Slowcake,” the author of a book which details the names in high-society. When pursued, it’s discovered that Mr. Slowcake Exceptional is actually [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]run by the Brass-Embassy[/color]. The reason why they would spend time on such trivial matters eludes me, although I certainly have suspicions. Perhaps [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]devils [/color]need to know fashionable footwear, aswell. Or, of course, in a much less likely scenario, it’s some rouse to [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]steal souls[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]. But that seems unlikely [/color][/color]:)

My theory is that Slowcake’s Exceptionals is a way for [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]devils[/color] to publicly communicate to [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]each other[/color] about which citizens have an exceptional [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]soul[/color] that is worthwhile for [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]devils[/color] to work for.

My theory is that Slowcake’s Exceptionals is a way for [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]devils[/color] to publicly communicate to [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]each other[/color] about which citizens have an exceptional [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]soul[/color] that is worthwhile for [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]devils[/color] to work for.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Thatn, and the possibility that [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]the info in Slowcake’s is also used to recruit spirifer agents[/color].

On my part, as I mentioned in another thread, I don’t think that my character will sleep well until he’ll have a more precise idea of who the Fingerkings are and what is their agenda for the Neath.

[quote=Byron Man] Curses wrote:

SLOWCAKE THINGS

My theory is that Slowcake’s Exceptionals is a way for devils to publicly communicate to each other about which citizens have an exceptional soul that is worthwhile for devils to work for.[/quote]

Quite the sound theory, undeniably very possible. I also love how “Slowcake things” did a surprising amount of justice for a summary of my post ;P

While possibly not a little mystery, the whole Iron Box Affair has always perplexed me. Although I cannot remember exactly where I read it,[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)] one theory suggested that the box contains Mr Eaten’s heart, which is why the Masters are so keen on finding the key and destroying it, [/color]but it seems like a rather far-fetched theory to me. Also how boxed cats become starvling seems to elude me. I read at the same place that [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]passing cats is a way for those who are seeking The Name communicate, and after prolonged exposure the cat becomes starvling[/color], which seems reasonable, but I’ve never been able to find in-game information about it.

[quote=Cedric Appleby]

• Everything relating to the Leathery Human Hearts. [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]You find one on an Unfinished Man currently operating as Jack-of-Smiles, which is a little unusual to begin with - especially as Jacks of this sort continue operating after you solved the Jack-of-Smiles case - and you can turn five of them in for a small increase in Connected: Revolutionaries. The Professor of Anatomy will apparantly “repatriate” them.[/color][/quote]

[quote=Lots of people]

• The Correspondence[/quote]

[quote=Cedric Appleby]

[ul][li]The Face-Tailor[/quote][/li][/ul]Agreed on all points. This entire arc seems to be a string of well-hidden clues pointing toward the Elder Continent’s mysteries.

[quote=Byron Man]

• My theory is that Slowcake’s Exceptionals is a way for [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]devils[/color] to publicly communicate to [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]each other[/color] about which citizens have an exceptional [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]soul[/color] that is worthwhile for [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]devils[/color] to work for.[/quote]I like this theory! Given how detailed a profile they like to build up of the [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]souls they harvest[/color], this fits the bill very nicely.

edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 6/29/2012

[quote=Curses]Quite the sound theory, undeniably very possible. I also love how “Slowcake things” did a surprising amount of justice for a summary of my post ;P

While possibly not a little mystery, the whole Iron Box Affair has always perplexed me. Although I cannot remember exactly where I read it,[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)] one theory suggested that the box contains Mr Eaten’s heart, which is why the Masters are so keen on finding the key and destroying it, [/color]but it seems like a rather far-fetched theory to me. Also how boxed cats become starvling seems to elude me. I read at the same place that [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]passing cats is a way for those who are seeking The Name communicate, and after prolonged exposure the cat becomes starvling[/color], which seems reasonable, but I’ve never been able to find in-game information about it.[/quote]

Don’t know the content for certain, but the box survived the fall of London and its content ended up in Marsellus Wallace’s briefcase in 20th century :)
edited by streetfelineblue on 6/29/2012

My theory on the leathery human hearts is quite simply that it’s abandoned content.

The most important part of the hearts is that they are branded “WOLFSTACK”. You receive them in the final storylet available at Watchmaker’s Hill, and in this way it prompts you to journey on to Wolfstack Docks to continue the dangerous line, much like how the latter part of the Veilgarden storylets involves becoming well known enough to be able to visit the Shuttered Palace.

The problem is that nothing is done with this lead. You go to Wolfstack docks, and while there are plenty of interesting things with strikes, duels to the death, and hunting monsters, you don’t get to follow up on seeing what’s with the hearts. Their use in the university strikes me mostly as a way for folks to get rid of them, particularly due to the extremely low reward for doing so.

… interesting. It’s true, Icarus has a certain… connection to the sun. You think the two are connected?

Yes, that’s probably true. I was hoping there might be just barely enough content left in the game to tell what was cut out - or at least conspiciously blank spaces where a branded might’ve would’ve fit in - but alas… I do like Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook’s theory, but it doesn’t seem to fit with what the Heart’s Desire ambition reveals. [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Clay Men carry a fragment split off from the King’s diamond heart.[/color] So no real heart at all.

Yes, that’s what upset my original idea - hence the “replacement” or “conversion” ideas, but they’re pure speculation. I do wonder that they left the option to get them if it were abandoned content - why not just cut them entirely?

Maybe to avoid them to become rare, prized collector’s items? XD

It’s abandoned content (At least, I believe so), but it still serves an important gameplay mechanic: Telling players where to go next. As far as I know, all other areas do this except for Ladybones Road, which has no clue that you need to go to the Forgotten Quarter.

Has snow in the Neath been explained?

Bat dandruff. At least it’s not guano.

My slightly more serious theory is that it actually is snow, but not from ordinary water. The snow comes from The River. That’s largely speculation as I have nothing to point to that lends this theory credence, but I have yet to hear a more valid theory, or anything that invalidated this one.

As for The Iron Box, I believe it is a more elaborate version of the standard Boxed Cat. Whatever infernal/divine feline it contains, it probably eats Glim (as during the storyline you can open a small section of the box and find Glim. Clearly it is a feeder tray for what is effectively a travel cage.).

Or a shedding of a carapace.

… interesting. It’s true, Icarus has a certain… connection to the sun. You think the two are connected?
[/quote]

As another tentative connection, the Coruscating Soul says “[color=#ffffff]It’s like looking into the face of the sun[/color].” But that could just be an extension of the definition of “coruscate”, which dictionary.com says "[color=#333333]to [/color][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)]emit[/color] [color=rgb(51, 51, 51)]flashes[/color] [color=rgb(51, 51, 51)]of[/color] [color=rgb(51, 51, 51)]light;[/color] [color=rgb(51, 51, 51)]sparkle[/color] "