Limited Playtest: Stepchild

Hey MV…are you StrikeTheViol? I got a message from inside the game that this handle was stuck.

I’m up for a playtester’s passkey! If you want. Playtesting character name is stepSilke

I sent you a private message with the link, Kir :)

Thanks!!

Snickering out loud and disturbing my children. Heh. Did find typo at breakfast in the dining room (I came late, but clean!):
“You feel the kings glare.
And all eyes are upon you as you climb into the ridiculously large chair at your end of the table.”

"King’s " I think is what you mean here.

------Added later, why not--------------
While Walter is fussing around. Would he call a child “You Majesty”? Isn’t that for the King/Queen alone? Wouldn’t he use “Your highness” (or something lower rank for a stepchild? Huh, which parent is the “real” one? Hmm!)

… I really like how you’re tracking knowledge with qualities here. learns stuff
edited by Kir Talmage on 12/27/2012

Oh good, I’m so glad you’re finding it amusing. I wasn’t sure how the tone would come off – offensive or what. Will fix the grammar and thank you for the instruction on the difference of “your highness” and “your majesty”… Walter’s dialogue is tricky to write and walk the line between subservient and fed up. Please keep the comments coming.

There are some brick walls you’ll hit. I doubt I’ll have this ready for the winter contest, but hopefully I can get it into some shape.

You may already know that a player gets stuck at the Castle Egress if they – y’know – experiment by clicking on something with that Castle Egress card even if there’s no text… :) Not sure why servants are boiling water for the bath at the Egress though. I did accidentally agree to let Walter feed me whatever that drink was while there. Whoa.

Oh well, time to use my key for something!

Heh, I’m building the Egress as you speak! That’s why you were stuck :)

Yes, I need to specialize the servant text, just haven’t done it yet.

Dinner may get you stuck after a couple days as well. Working on that!

I like how I can’t tell whether I’m finding new things because you created them or because I’m progressing… but I find the Passage of Time cards too frequent. As someone said earlier, it discourages me from drawing Opp cards.

I’ve only used the Refresh on the passcard so far, since I’m trying to “play it straight” (sorta).

I am actively avoiding drinking that ale! But… I’m grounded now… Hmmm!

Oh good, I’m glad it doesn’t seem like I’m building track as the train runs over it…

Yes, the passage of time is too frequent. I was hoping to get enough cards in the deck that they didn’t show up so much, but they seem to always drop in multiples. Now…is passage of time keeping you from doing something, or does it seem to be actively advancing the story? My intention is that days do continuously pass in the story.

But I do understand. I’m going to have to either duplicate some non time-passage cards or possibly restrict one. If you only had one draw slot open, would that be an impetus to make a decision between time passing and drawing, or might that help?

My other idea I’m toying with is restricting them from being drawn in multiples - if you could only draw one each round would that help?

Part of this is also I don’t have a lot of the post breakfast castle activities working yet either. When you escape the castle I’m hoping it will be less of an annoyance.

The Passage of time cars don’t show up for me in every draw. Since they all seem to do the same thing (cycle through a series of clicks with no apparent positive benefit to me, and a result of time passing), I usually let them fill up the opportunity slots until I can’t do any more actions (or don’t want to) on pinned cards, then I click one.

If “Passage of Time” were more rare, or had a greater variety of effect (rather than just resetting my flash cards and taking time), I might try clicking them more often. A few random effects (say if you had 2 or 3 identically-appearing Passage of time cards but with somewhat different effects) might make them less annoying and more intriguing as well. Mostly I feel they are road blocks to my story experience, rather than flavor-enhancing (as I mangle metaphors with aplomb…).

Does this make any sense? I’m a little muddled at the moment thanks to a virus, old Stargates, and my own confusion on how to get stories and intriguingness to be tellable in Jangle… a little busy-headed!

That’s helpful! I need the passage of time to happen because that’s the engine that moves stuff in the world if that makes any sense. Hopefully when more is in it will make more sense: The family goes jousting after breakfast. After that the King spends two segments in the throne room then naps in the study. The brothers go about their business in the town. At least it all makes sense in my head.

What type of rare effect would make the time passage cards more desirable? Keep in mind - there is a planned spell called “time ward” which will allow you to discard a passage of time card.

Oh and this is funny. I stumbled on a chunk of story I had totally forgotten I put in. I was like WHERE IS THIS COMING FROM??

Okay Kir…after mulling this , your main concern is passage of time cards are not worth playing…currently its a hand flush and 1 curiosity point. You think more valuable yields would make them less of a nuisance?

My current thought is to randomize it to award a point in mind,(later you will need to use mind to cast spells) a point in moxie (very nice since moxie will rarely go above 5) or 3 curiosity points. I’m thinking randomize these 50/50 with default reward of 1 curiosity or 1 copper (find a penny)…as you suggested you won’t know which card gives what reward. Great idea!
edited by HanonO on 1/14/2013

[quote=Hanon Ondricek]That’s helpful! I need the passage of time to happen because that’s the engine that moves stuff in the world if that makes any sense. Hopefully when more is in it will make more sense: The family goes jousting after breakfast. After that the King spends two segments in the throne room then naps in the study. The brothers go about their business in the town. At least it all makes sense in my head.

What type of rare effect would make the time passage cards more desirable? Keep in mind - there is a planned spell called “time ward” which will allow you to discard a passage of time card.[/quote]
They go jousting after breakfast? I’ve had a couple of days I think (maybe just 2?) and not seen that; I must be elsewhere when it happens! Though Rolande did lock his door on me. :) And the King sent me back up to my room once. Heh.

Let’s see… possible rare effects so the time passing won’t feel like its in the way of playing …

[ul][li]not having to find and pick up all the flashcards every time, but going straight back into action?[/li][li]sometimes get a different flashcard or… a flash of memory? … or a hint of what could’ve been happening (like “remembering” they go jousting! :) )[/li][li]something very silly, like a servant or guard slipping me a sweet (so someone is on my side, sometimes! ) or a quick trip to the kitchen for a cookie (if say, it’s after lunch)[/li][li]finding an old shirt for the teddy bear / old toy / – it’s OK (to me) if it’s not a useable item, just “flavor text” to spice up the cycle of time/lost cards/ reshuffled cards[/li][li]instead of shuffling, I could sing in the stairwell (nice echoes., maybe … Walter might get annoyed – oh wait, everything annoys Walter chuckle Might boost my confidence or reduce humiliation just for being pleased with myself)[/li][li]experience a nice smell (of dinner or dessert or a tourist’s perfume) – or a yucky smell! [/li][li]“find” a (small) “old” deck of flashcards – maybe just one or 2 cards that would eventually unset the visibility of that deck and revert to the regular one… Heh. [/li][/ul]I imagine this would require some cloning of the Passage of Time cards (and reducing each one’s frequency) until the Powers That Be grant extra rare results (as AK said was coming eventually), and that might not be fun for you! Thanks for asking, though.

Back to work, me! Too much fun, this tangled creating thing. :)

Great suggestions! Now I’m thinking 1/3 flavor text in addition to my reward ideas. That should mix it up.

Jousting practice isn’t in yet but will happen, :-)
edited by HanonO on 1/14/2013