Lacre. Why winter?

Barselaar, the proposition of the previous poster was &quotthe time of year the Bazaar fell on Earth&quot, not when London fell to the Neath.
edited by Plynkes on 1/4/2017

[quote=Plynkes]Barselaar, the proposition of the previous poster was &quotthe time of year the Bazaar fell on Earth&quot, not when London fell to the Neath.
edited by Plynkes on 1/4/2017[/quote]
So it was, that is utterly my fault for misreading! Still, interesting information. I’ll edit my post.

A regular lonely person may be treated kindly at this season; the Bazaar is unlikely to receive the same treatment. Surrounded by heartless bastards, and too obscure for the everyday citizen.

Well, now, the Fall of Bazaar predates Christianity, sure, but what about Judaism? Time is a little wonky on that one.
Eh. Kukapetal, you’re probably right, not in the least because Failbetter writers wouldn’t likely involve religion in their work more than needed for this decidedly Victorian flavour. Or not. The difference is, ah, whether you are Harry Potter or Harry Dresden, if you know what I mean. ( If you don’t, never worry, I can’t quite understand where I’m getting with this one, too.)
At this point, after a flash of, as I thought at the time, a bright idea, I don’t really need the Answer. A good discussion is delightful all in itself.

I just want to point out that the Earth is actually closer to the Sun during the winter, not further. Earth’s perihelion is on January 3rd. Winter is caused by Earth’s inclination, not its distance.

Nonetheless, the same arguments broadly apply, if tweaked appropriately. During winter, the sun is visible for a shorter amount of time from the northern hemisphere. This could equally inspire the Bazaar to melancholy.

Oh God. I read my last post and shuddered.
I wanted to say that I in no way confuse Christianity and Judaism, but rather present them as two consistent and consequent chains of events that could be involved with the Bazaar. In the universe of Fallen London, that is. They could draw upon Bazaar for their… mythos? theology?
Yeah, this isn’t getting any better, is it. So, I am sorry, and if I offended any person in any way, then tough it out, pussy, you are playing in the Big League, now, and we need you on our team.

perhaps it also has something to do with the stone pigs, and keeping them under control. (They’re naturally more active when less law is applied to them maybe? The bazaar doesn’t seem to have much control over them, needing the tears to keep them sedated. So if it can’t control its &quotengine&quot things,can it actually stop to deliver message if there’s not some system in place. Since judgements naturally shine law everywhere, that seems like the easiest way to make them slow down.)
edited by suinicide on 1/4/2017

Oh, I definitely think it’s about sedating the Stone Pigs Suinicide – total agreement on that.

But I can’t help but feel a resonance in the bits Mr.-Sacks-not-Pages says, and in it being tears – a resonance to depression, and holiday depression in specific. It’s possible that’s just me reading my own problems into things, but I think it’s real rather than just my own framework.
edited by absimiliard on 1/4/2017

[quote=Raiseth Ascendant]
Eh. Kukapetal, you’re probably right, not in the least because Failbetter writers wouldn’t likely involve religion in their work more than needed for this decidedly Victorian flavour. Or not. The difference is, ah, whether you are Harry Potter or Harry Dresden, if you know what I mean. ( If you don’t, never worry, I can’t quite understand where I’m getting with this one, too.)[/quote]

Quit making me giggle this instant, sir! I’m supposed to be all melancholy and whiny :P

[quote=absimiliard]Oh, I definitely think it’s about sedating the Stone Pigs Suinicide – total agreement on that.

But I can’t help but feel a resonance in the bits Mr.-Sacks-not-Pages says, and in it being tears – a resonance to depression, and holiday depression in specific. It’s possible that’s just me reading my own problems into things, but I think it’s real rather than just my own framework. [/quote]

Well the highest ToL level is &quot24+: At the loneliest of seasons, the lacre overflows.&quot So you are right, I was just trying to see if there were any other factors. (Mostly I just seem to be in the mood for making a hypothesis or two.)
edited by suinicide on 1/4/2017

[quote=suinicide](Mostly I just seem to be in the mood for making a hypothesis or two.)
edited by suinicide on 1/4/2017[/quote]

I grok that. I like to hypothesize as well. Didn’t mean to rain on your parade, sorry.

[quote=absimiliard][quote=suinicide](Mostly I just seem to be in the mood for making a hypothesis or two.)

I grok that. I like to hypothesize as well. Didn’t mean to rain on your parade, sorry.[/quote]

Oh no worries.

[quote=dov]The Neath is bigger on the inside.

(and it bends the rules of time and space. Yes - the Neath is a TARDIS)[/quote]

[li]
So what you’re saying is that the answer to &quotwho is Salt?&quot is &quotsome rando Time Lord&quot? :)

Not sure if relevant, but here is the successful event of eating lacre. So I tend to suspect that it is related to ‘gift’ (or love?) and … the nearly closest point. Though Jan 3rd seems a little far away from the starting point of lacre overflow. So I still doubt it.
edited by Fadewalker on 1/23/2017

[quote=suinicide]perhaps it also has something to do with the stone pigs, and keeping them under control. (They’re naturally more active when less law is applied to them maybe? The bazaar doesn’t seem to have much control over them, needing the tears to keep them sedated. So if it can’t control its &quotengine&quot things,can it actually stop to deliver message if there’s not some system in place. Since judgements naturally shine law everywhere, that seems like the easiest way to make them slow down.)

BTW, I recall seeing a post where Alexis mentioned that &quotlacre&quot is a Portuguese word for &quotsealing wax&quot. Might be a coincidence, but given that it manages to involve both messages AND candles it’s decidedly possible it’s relevant.

[li]